Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
MLD Zip Pack?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Michael Fogarty
(mfog1) - MLife

Locale: Midwest
Re: MLD Pack! on 07/19/2007 17:39:20 MDT Print View

Kevin, Did you purchase the MLD sternum strap pocket as well. I see BPL now offers a shoulder strap pocket, but the MLD pocket, is advertised as being water-proof?

kevin davidson
(kdesign) - F

Locale: Mythical State of Jefferson
MLD Sternum Pocket on 07/19/2007 17:44:05 MDT Print View

Nope. But I plan to use a Simblissity Un-Slack Pack which attaches to either the shoulder straps or waist belt. This will carry digicam and more.

I have an older spinn nylon version of the pocket which never gets used as such ---I find it bounces around too much.

Edited by kdesign on 07/19/2007 17:46:04 MDT.

Ryan Faulkner
(ryanf) - F

Locale: Mid atlantic, No. Cal
Re: Re: MLD Pack! on 07/19/2007 18:29:46 MDT Print View

dang,

the zip looks alot like the mariposa
im thinking MLD borrowed a few design ideas form GG on this one :P

kevin davidson
(kdesign) - F

Similarities between Mariposa and Zip on 07/19/2007 18:38:37 MDT Print View

Kinda superficial.
Different materials, MUCH better harness on the Zip. No frame (none needed) and it's smaller volume wise than even the Miniposa. Ron lifted the "Y" strap from GG, though :-)>.

There is a form factor that GG, MLD, Fanatic Fringe, Six Moons, etc. share----top loading, roll up closure, tall and narrow, provision for shock cord compression, mesh pockets. It's a combo that works well for most UL and SUL packs.

Edited by kdesign on 07/19/2007 18:41:10 MDT.

Michael Fogarty
(mfog1) - MLife

Re: Similarities between Mariposa and Zip on 07/19/2007 18:51:00 MDT Print View

and.............the Mariposa weighs a little more than 10oz too? Not that its not a great pack, as I have a Mariposa too!

Y strap, did MLD add a Y strap to the Zip or are you talking about another MLD pack?
Personally, being that I hike in areas that don't require a bear canister. The Y strap isn't a benefit, over a plain single strap.

Edited by mfog1 on 07/19/2007 18:55:51 MDT.

kevin davidson
(kdesign) - F

Y strap on 07/19/2007 19:06:40 MDT Print View

Specifically addressing the Zip. I think it will offer a more secure tie-down for a pad, should you put yours there. It doesn't get in the way, and the grosgrain webbing used weighs practically nothing.

Edited by kdesign on 07/19/2007 19:09:22 MDT.

Michael Fogarty
(mfog1) - MLife

Re: MLD Sternum Pocket on 07/20/2007 15:30:59 MDT Print View

Kevin wrote: Nope. But I plan to use a Simblissity Un-Slack Pack which attaches to either the shoulder straps or waist belt. This will carry digicam and more.

Me too, I just ordered (2) Un-Slack Pack's, one in Kelly Green for the Zip pack and one in Blue for my GG Whisper pack. Yee-Haw

Edited by mfog1 on 07/20/2007 15:35:34 MDT.