Forum Index » Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Dark or bittersweet chocolate recommendation please.

Display Avatars Sort By:
Valerie E
(Wildtowner) - F

Locale: Grand Canyon State
Re: Chocolate Chips on 10/26/2013 13:25:32 MDT Print View

Doug, one CAN use chocolate chips, but the texture of the chocolate inside is not quite as good. (Sort of like using chocolate chips to make a chocolate croissant vs. the real French way where they put a piece of dark chocolate bar inside -- just that bit better!)

But hey, in a pinch, chocolate is still chocolate, right? :~)

Richard Gless
(rgless) - MLife

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
Best Chocolate and storage on 10/26/2013 13:42:57 MDT Print View

My favorite backpacking chocolate is RitterSport German chocolate. It's available in some specialty stores in the US. Lots of flavors and varieties.

I've stored chocolate bars in a bag in my sleeping bag (per the suggestion above) for many, many years and never had problems with leakage or significant melting on many multiday Sierra trips. Keep the pack in the shade when you're not hiking.

Delmar O'Donnell
(Bolster) - F

Locale: Between Jacinto & Gorgonio
Chocolate chunks from TJ's on 10/29/2013 23:21:14 MDT Print View

Some of you sent me to TJs to check the chocolate. While there I discovered packages of chocolate chunks (next to the chocolate chips) and WOW are they great. Higher percentage cocoa than the Pound Plus bars, and quite a bit less expensive by weight. Haven't heat tested it yet. Can't seem to get it to stay in the house long enough to get tested...

Edited by Bolster on 10/29/2013 23:21:44 MDT.