Forum Index » Chaff » Interesting Op Ed piece

Display Avatars Sort By:
jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: Re: Re: Re: Labor Force Participation Rate on 10/22/2013 15:42:57 MDT Print View

"Not blaming either side here, just adding a bit to the puzzle that ought to be considered."

Definitely

I don't remember why the law favors people being on disability. Maybe lawyers pushed that? That would be more Democratic party. More than that, it would be that it would be that we have the best government money can buy.

Ken Miller
(Powderpiggy) - F

Locale: Colorado
Why not build a factory in America? on 10/22/2013 16:53:58 MDT Print View

Here's some barriers:

Highest Corporate taxes
Excessive regulations
Litigious culture
Poor public education system

The Tea Party

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Coast
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Labor Force Participation Rate on 10/22/2013 17:29:07 MDT Print View

"I don't remember why the law favors people being on disability. Maybe lawyers pushed that? "

The states are pushing that; kind of a crucial point here. On disability the Federal Government will foot the bill. The Federal Government isn't complaining as it makes unemployment look lower.

Ken Miller
(Powderpiggy) - F

Advertising for foodstamps on 10/22/2013 18:13:06 MDT Print View

Here in Colorado, the USDA advertises to sign people up for foodstamps, EBT or SNAP for the more sophisticated amongst us. There are reports in Florida that they hire people and pay them to sign up new participants.

I am getting to be an old fart, but I thought the safety net was just that a net. Now it seems it's a way of life for too many people.

Of course, most all of the entitlement receivers are likely democrat voters, hum?

A helping hand up versus a handout, teach a man to fish......., the red hen baking bread, what the hell is going on in this country!!!

I think people using foodstamps should only be able to buy flour, salt, sugar, salt pork and yeast.

Learn to cook you bums. Buy a Boilerwerks and cook in the hallway

I think Rap music is the cause of all that's wrong with America. Does that make me a racist?

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Coast
Re: Advertising for foodstamps on 10/22/2013 19:13:26 MDT Print View

The issue I pointed out is not about benefits or entitlements, rather how states are manipulating the system to save money, make the Fed pay for it and unemployment numbers are rearranged.

Ken Miller
(Powderpiggy) - F

Pot A or Pot B on 10/22/2013 19:28:37 MDT Print View

In the end, the impact on culture is the same.

My daughter went to New Orleans several years ago to rebuild houses. The former occupants were in a FEMA trailer on an adjacent lot. NEVER during her 4 week stay did they lift a hand to cut a board, make a sandwich, pour an ice tea or pound a nail. The whole time they bitched about living in the trailer and how long it took to re-build.

Oh btw, before somebody launches the racist card, they were white. Generations on government handouts, unwilling to fend for themselves.

Prisoners to a system thought to help them out.

Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
Re: Pot A or Pot B on 10/22/2013 19:42:05 MDT Print View

"I think Rap music is the cause of all that's wrong with America. Does that make me a racist?"

It *might* not make you a racist, but it would still make you wrong.

Men with polished loafers, tailored suits, and big plans for themselves are all that's wrong with America.

You squabble over what your neighbor is buying with their food stamps while they quietly stack another billion in no-bid government contracts.

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest/Sierra
Re: Advertising for foodstamps on 10/22/2013 19:49:32 MDT Print View

"Of course, most all of the entitlement receivers are likely democrat voters, hum?"

Of course. No self respecting Republican would stoop to groveling for tidbits the hogs have scattered around the trough, now would he? He would go straight for the big stuff, like farm subsidies.

"I think Rap music is the cause of all that's wrong with America. Does that make me a racist?"

You're off to a pretty good start with this one. Oops, I just noticed you're on Mountain Standard Time, an hour, and probably half a six pack ahead of us. If you still feel this way in the morning, the answer to your question is "yes".

Ken Miller
(Powderpiggy) - F

Chill down on 10/22/2013 20:03:43 MDT Print View

Tom,

Ease off dude, just a little fun.

Pull that rip cord, yeah ha!

Stereotyping people is easy, debating issues a little tougher.

just Justin Whitson
(ArcturusBear) - M
Re: Re: Advertising for foodstamps on 10/22/2013 20:09:26 MDT Print View

"think Rap music is the cause of all that's wrong with America. Does that make me a racist?"

Collective, mass selfishness and over materialism is what's wrong with America, and it's in all political factions, all sides, and in most people. The main problem though, is that the most selfish and materialistic people are the ones with the most material power and influence here for the most part, and because of the evolution of our culture and of technology, they have quite an influence on the masses via various psychologically manipulative means such as mainstream media, entertainment, politics, laws/regulations, education, etc, etc.

Until these are taken out of the picture, there will be no major change for the better of all in this country.

But even if these were removed from the equation, and we the majority didn't change our ideals and attitudes, others just like them would arise to take their place. So each and every one of us, plays our part in the grand scheme. Let's try to play that part well, and to spread positivity, helpfulness, and that which lifts us all up.

It's supremely ironic that America is called or considered a "Christian" nation, when so many of us including many Christians, are anything but Christ like in our dealings and activities day to day in relation to our fellow humans and life in general (including animals, nature, and the Earth in general). If we all focused more on trying to live like him, rather than believing in this or that doctrine, dogma or ritual or forcing those beliefs on others, this world would be a very different place than it is.

However, at this point, nothing short of being hit in the head with a 2x4 is going to wake up America, or even most of the world.

Ken Miller
(Powderpiggy) - F

Women in 5" heels on 10/22/2013 20:33:52 MDT Print View

If it's women in polished heels, tailored suits and big plans, does that count.

I heard the ACA web site contract was no bid, not sure if it's true.

I guess Kathleen Sibelius fits the stereotype.

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: Chill down on 10/22/2013 20:37:17 MDT Print View

"think Rap music is the cause of all that's wrong with America. Does that make me a racist?

Ease off dude, just a little fun."

That is one of those "jokes" that you can claim is non racist.

When anyone calls you on it you can just say you don't like rap music and attack back that liberals always bring out the race card.

Any of your racist friends will know just what you mean.

I'll take you at your word that you're not racist.

But making racist jokes is not just a little fun.

No reason for Tom to call you names back though. Maybe there's some hidden joke there about uneducated white people or something? That's not just a little fun either.

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest/Sierra
Re: Re: Chill down on 10/22/2013 20:41:43 MDT Print View

"No reason for Tom to call you names back though."

He asked me a question that introduced the label. I gave him a conditional affirmative answer with an out. If you want to accuse me of calling him names, that is your privilege, but I stand by my statement, without reservation.

Ken Miller
(Powderpiggy) - F

My rescue on 10/22/2013 20:43:22 MDT Print View

Thanks

But I have lived in the Hood. Tom's comments are water on the duck....

Pull the rip cord....