Forum Index » Gear Swap » WTB: 2013 LiteTrail Solid Fuel Cookset

Display Avatars Sort By:
John Rowan
(jrowan) - M
WTB: 2013 LiteTrail Solid Fuel Cookset on 10/17/2013 19:35:38 MDT Print View

The title says it all- I'm looking for the most recent version (insulated handles and windscreen that doesn't need a paper clip). They've been out of stock for a while and it doesn't look like more are on the way anytime soon.

http://litetrail.com/shop/litetrail-titanium-solid-fuel-cook-system

If anyone wants to be my favorite person and sell me one, PM me with price, etc. and we'll go from there.

Ian Destroyer of Forums
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Locale: PNW
Re: WTB: 2013 LiteTrail Solid Fuel Cookset on 10/18/2013 06:55:05 MDT Print View

Hi John,

I'll try to find the link (it may be on their Facebook page) but I believe they are working on version three. Not that it helps but I have the most recent version and absolutely love it so it's well worth the wait and search.

Edit: http://litetrail.com/shop/stock-status

•550 mL Cookpot, 550 WIndscreens, 550 mL Cook System
◦550 mL Cookpot: No estimate.
◦550 mL Windscreen: No estimate.
◦550 mL Ti Cooksets: Possibly 1st Qtr 2014. Rough estimate.

I have no idea if they use the fiscal or calendar year to determine the first quarter of 2014 but I'm hoping they'll have something for sale nlt 3/2014.

Edited by IDBLOOM on 10/18/2013 07:55:56 MDT.

Chad B
(CenAZwalker) - F

Locale: Southwest
LiteTrail v3 on 10/18/2013 09:03:50 MDT Print View

I've been told version 3 should be ready by the holidays. I take that to mean Christmas 2013.

Marc Kokosky
(mak52580) - F

Locale: Washington, DC Area
Re: LiteTrail v3 on 10/18/2013 09:44:23 MDT Print View

I'll believe it when I see it. Nothing is ever in stock on his site. As much as I'd love one ( I also have a WTB thread up), I won't be holding my breath.

Lou Z
(lugee) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Assemble on 10/18/2013 10:12:40 MDT Print View

Based on my 2013 model, it seems like Litetrail makes quite a few modifications to standard products and package it as their own. Have you considered buying all the parts separately and assembling it yourself?

The pot is the same 550ml Toaks pots most companies sell, and the stove is the same esbit Ti wing stove you can get from $10.

The only thing you would need is a Ti wind screen and base.

Ian Destroyer of Forums
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Re: Assemble on 10/18/2013 10:33:36 MDT Print View

"Have you considered buying all the parts separately and assembling it yourself?"

If you want to go that route:

Pot $27.95: http://toaksoutdoor.com/titanium550mlpot.aspx
Ti Wing $14.95: http://www.rei.com/product/830143/esbit-titanium-folding-stove
Stuff Sack $10.95: http://www.zpacks.com/accessories/stuff_sacks.shtml

Add a foil windscreen and ground cover and you basically have the same kit for $53.85.

James DeGraaf
(jdegraaf) - MLife

Locale: Bay Area
Wind Screen on 10/18/2013 10:33:50 MDT Print View

Just an unsolicited plug for Suluk46. He makes ti welded windscreens and can do custom work easily enough. As far as I can tell in regards to the 550ml ti pot, it about the same thing as what it sold by Ruta Locura. And with theirs you can get a carbon fiber lid, dropping the weight even more. Assembling one yourself would be easily done, but probably time consuming and perhaps a bit pricier (mostly due to extra shipping costs).

-James

Lou Z
(lugee) - MLife

Re: Re: Assemble on 10/18/2013 12:07:06 MDT Print View

There may also be some variation in weights between pots, but the Toaks 550ml in Ian's post is about the same weight as my Litetrail 550ml pot in my 2013 kit.

I have a similar 700ml ti Backcountry.com made by Toaks and it is heavier than my 900ml Litetrail pot or the listed 700ml Toaks pot.

John Rowan
(jrowan) - M
Building on 10/18/2013 12:26:07 MDT Print View

Thanks for the input guys. I actually did try to start and assemble my own similar kit (2.6oz Evernew 550 ti mug, Esbit wing stove), but found that the fit on the ti wing was not great and very unstable. (I think that it just works better with a wider pot, since it's a lot better with my 600ml short/wide pot, although not great.) The LiteTrail stuff is supposedly modded for a better/more stable fit, but I really can't say for sure how much of that is just marketing. From looking at it, it really does look like the system fits together more nicely than a combo of parts, but at a certain point, it may not be that huge of a deal.

I'll take a closer look at Ruta Locura- thanks for the thoughts. Most of the stuff they do is not really targeted at what I'm looking for, so I tend to forget that they do have some good accessories (pots, lids, etc.) in there.

Thanks.

(That said, if some poor soul looking to unload one of these sees this, still hit me up.)

Lou Z
(lugee) - MLife

Re: Building on 10/18/2013 12:47:15 MDT Print View

John - Do you know if the Evernew 550 mug is shaped the same as the Toaks pots?

I have two LiteTrail modded wing stoves (I think, need to check), and I don't mind trading you one LiteTrail wing stove for your non modded wing stove.

My 2013 kit is very stable with the cuts on pot holders.

Edited by lugee on 10/18/2013 12:47:54 MDT.

Ian Destroyer of Forums
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Re: Re: Building on 10/18/2013 12:52:42 MDT Print View

"There may also be some variation in weights between pots, but the Toaks 550ml in Ian's post is about the same weight as my Litetrail 550ml pot in my 2013 kit."

The mug I received with my lite trail solid fuel kit is indistinguishable from the one in the link, Toaks branding and all. Were they previously marked with the Lite Trail logo?

Anyways I really like the kit I received from Lite Trail and they modified the ti wing so the pot sits on it better saving me some dremel tool time.

I also tried a WTB on here with no success. Fortunately they had another batch ready for the market a month or two later. I think if you're patient and willing to wait a couple months, you'll be able to buy a complete kit from them with the mystery improvements.

John Rowan
(jrowan) - M
Waiting on 10/18/2013 13:46:50 MDT Print View

I think at this point, I might just wait and see what comes out. I'm not much for colder weather, so I probably only have a few more trips before I'm inside for the next few months. Hopefully, I'll be able to live with my 7 oz. boat anchor of a trip setup.

Thanks for the input everyone. (And thanks for the offer, Lou.)

J W
(jhaura) - F

Locale: www.Trailability.com
Re: WTB: 2013 LiteTrail Solid Fuel Cookset on 10/23/2013 10:45:14 MDT Print View

It will be in stock before the holidays. More news to follow on Nov 1. Our pot is not the same as the Toaks. Our stove is modded for snug fit on our pot only, it is not marketing, it's design and really does work, you can mod one yourself, but the ti is hard to grind. We will have most of the pieces avail. individually. ~J

Edited by jhaura on 10/23/2013 10:49:06 MDT.

Marc Kokosky
(mak52580) - F

Locale: Washington, DC Area
Re: Re: WTB: 2013 LiteTrail Solid Fuel Cookset on 10/23/2013 15:02:31 MDT Print View

I can't wait for them to come out again. It's been on my wish list for a while now.

Some my my $0.02 wish list for the new version

1. Go back to the old windscreen which isn't spot welded. It makes it much easier to wrap around the outer perimeter of the pot, creates more storage inside the pot for all the "kitchen/cooking stuff" and doesn't bend the windscreen as easily from said stuffing of other stuff around the windscreen,

2. Back to the handle-less design, although from what I understand it may not be made anymore.

I will be ordering one as soon as they're back on the market.... Or sending my wife the link as a Christmas gift hint ;-)

Ian Destroyer of Forums
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: WTB: 2013 LiteTrail Solid Fuel Cookset on 10/23/2013 16:52:29 MDT Print View

"1. Go back to the old windscreen which isn't spot welded. It makes it much easier to wrap around the outer perimeter of the pot, creates more storage inside the pot for all the "kitchen/cooking stuff" and doesn't bend the windscreen as easily from said stuffing of other stuff around the windscreen"

+1. V2 works but I think the windscreen would show less wear and tear with the old style and a paperclip.

"2. Back to the handle-less design, although from what I understand it may not be made anymore."

-1 but personal preference.

J W
(jhaura) - F

Locale: www.Trailability.com
Re: WTB: 2013 LiteTrail Solid Fuel Cookset on 10/23/2013 16:56:21 MDT Print View

Guys, the new design has been locked in for months and we are in post-production...feedback appreciated though :-)