Looking for the (?maybe?) perfect quilt and need some help finding it.
Display Avatars Sort By:
John Abela
(JohnAbela) - MLife
Looking for the (?maybe?) perfect quilt and need some help finding it. on 10/16/2013 01:48:30 MDT Print View

Hello all, I am hoping that the community here can help me find a quilt.

Here are my requirements (it MUST have these features):

Be 15(f) or 20(f) degree comfort rated

Use 800 or 850 goose down fill

Be extra-wide

Non-zippered bottom entry

Square baffles [aka: "baffle box"] (no baffle-to-baffle transferring)

Have a neck draft collar

Have a neck compression strap

Does anybody know of any company making a quilt that meets these requirements? It does not matter if they are based in the USA or abroad.

Thank you,
+John Abela

Edited by JohnAbela on 12/24/2013 19:27:17 MST.

James DeGraaf
(jdegraaf) - MLife

Locale: Bay Area
Re: Looking for the (?maybe?) perfect quilt and need some help finding it. on 10/16/2013 07:07:49 MDT Print View

Not sure about the baffle part, but it sounds like you want a katabatic gear Alsek. They can be made 58" wide, which is the widest I've seen for a solo quilt.
-James

John Harper
(johnnyh88) - M

Locale: The SouthWest
Re: Looking for the (?maybe?) perfect quilt and need some help finding it on 10/16/2013 08:24:38 MDT Print View

Sounds like a Katabatic Alsek (except for the square baffles).

I would talk to Ben at GooseFeet Gear - he may be able to make exactly what you want. He added a draft collar onto my 20 degree quilt and it works quite well. It does not have square baffles, but it uses vertical baffles which I think do a superior job of controlling the down. 14 oz of down. 19 oz total weight. Not too bad :)

BJ Clark
(bj.clark) - MLife

Locale: Colorado
Re: Looking for the (?maybe?) perfect quilt and need some help finding it. on 10/16/2013 11:27:08 MDT Print View

Maybe contact Tim at EE, give him your specs and see of he can make it for you?

Justin McCabe
(justinmc)

Locale: Southern California
Re: Re: Looking for the (?maybe?) perfect quilt and need some help finding it. on 10/16/2013 12:38:36 MDT Print View

Tim at EE's baffling sounds like what you're looking for, the fill power and width aren't a problem for him either. He has a zipper enclosure around the feet but, it's only about 7 inches long and I'm sure he could swap it out for a snap closure if needed.

Tim Marshall
(MarshLaw303) - MLife

Locale: Minnesota
Re: Re: Re: Looking for the (?maybe?) perfect quilt and need some help finding it. on 10/16/2013 22:03:49 MDT Print View

My name came up so I will just say this. At least take a look at my website next week when I update it (by fri if not sooner) at the new Enigma quilt. Isn't an exact fit but closer I think than my Revelation to what you're looking for.

-Tim

K C
(KalebC) - F

Locale: South West
Yep on 10/16/2013 23:18:59 MDT Print View

Yep,

Zpacks will make exactly what you need, you know that already.

John Abela
(JohnAbela) - MLife
Re: Looking for the (?maybe?) perfect quilt and need some help finding it. on 10/20/2013 21:35:26 MDT Print View

Hello everybody and thank you to those who have taken the time to response thus far.

I forgot to include one really important thing in the requirements list... I do *not* want it to be some custom made to order quilt. I want something I can walk into a store and buy (or do it online).

I should also note that a 15(f) quilt would be just as acceptable as a 20(f) quilt.

I will update my OP to reflect these two facts.

James DeGraaf
(jdegraaf) - MLife

Locale: Bay Area
square baffles has me confused on 10/20/2013 22:51:14 MDT Print View

So I must be missing something. What are square baffles? I assumed a square baffle is what a baffle looks like in cross section, are you saying square baffles from a top down pov? A pic would be helpful because all the quilts listed so far seemed to have fit your criteria, (minus my understanding of a square baffle) =)
-James

Chris W
(simplespirit) - MLife

Locale: .
Re: Looking for the (?maybe?) perfect quilt and need some help finding it. on 10/21/2013 07:34:31 MDT Print View

Are you wanting something like a WM Caribou, but with "box-wall" (as opposed to the sewn-through) baffles and rated to 15-20F?

Edited by simplespirit on 10/21/2013 07:36:59 MDT.

John Abela
(JohnAbela) - MLife
Re: square baffles has me confused on 10/21/2013 07:50:22 MDT Print View

@James,

I suppose if you want me to be technical, I will use the term "baffle box" rather than "square baffle"... same thing, but, there, the technical term (TTBOMK) is now in use :-D

@Scott,

I always say that too... and then somebody comes along and says, "Oh, John....." at which point I get all excited because it really did exist!

@Chris W,

Well, the Caribou does have square baffles (errr... it uses a "baffle box" construction - there ya go james ;) but that is about all it has in my list of wants. Why are you throwing its name out at me... whadda know that I don't???

Tim Marshall
(MarshLaw303) - MLife

Locale: Minnesota
Re: Re: square baffles has me confused on 10/21/2013 08:10:09 MDT Print View

Pretty sure the NEMO is the only box baffled quilt and its only 30* and doesn't have another thing on your list. I think you're gonna have to make some compromises or revisions to your list. :(

-Tim

Chris W
(simplespirit) - MLife

Re: Re: square baffles has me confused on 10/21/2013 08:13:31 MDT Print View

Why are you throwing its name out at me... whadda know that I don't???

Probably not. It doesn't exist.

To do baffles like that (without them being sewn-through) would be so labor intensive it would cost far more than any sane person would be willing to pay. Assuming you were willing to pay for it (I'd venture $800+), I doubt you can find someone willing to do the ridiculous amount of labor. And while theoretically you could stuff a sewn-through version with enough down to make it a 15-20F quilt, the cold spots would likely be unbearable.

Edit: A few extreme conditions alpine bags use a "brick wall" technique that looks similar, as they feel it is necessary to control the enormous amount of down necessary for a -30F bag.

Edited by simplespirit on 10/21/2013 08:34:41 MDT.

Steven Paris
(saparisor) - M

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: Looking for the (?maybe?) perfect quilt and need some help finding it. on 10/21/2013 10:49:22 MDT Print View

My first thought is the Back Country Blanket ("BCB") from Nunatak:

http://www.nunatakusa.com/site07/other_bags/bcb.htm

Nunatak uses baffles spaced 5" apart:

http://www.nunatakusa.com/site07/main_pages/general_bag_info.htm

I'm not sure what style of baffle he uses. If anyone is interested, here's a visual guide to baffles that I found helpful: http://www.trailspace.com/articles/sleeping-bag-construction-baffles-shingles.html

The BCB meets many of your requirements:

1. Be 15(f) or 20(f) degree comfort rated. Yes.
2. Use 800 or 850 goose down fill. Yes.
3. Be extra-wide. Yes.
4. Non-zippered bottom entry. Yes.
5. Square baffles. Yes (at least that's my basic understanding).
6. Have a neck draft collar and a neck compression strap. No. I don't know any quilt that has a draft collar, though; most seem to have "compression" or "cinch" cords.
7. Not be a quilt that I have to custom order or have custom made. Kind of. You can order it standard from his ordering page, but I think every Nunatak quilt gets made or at least stuffed after ordering. My took 5-6 weeks to make, but this was several years ago.

Chris W
(simplespirit) - MLife

Re: Re: Looking for the (?maybe?) perfect quilt and need some help finding it. on 10/21/2013 11:23:50 MDT Print View

The BCB uses standard horizontal baffles.

What John is wanting is something that has baffles separated both horizontally and vertically.

Steven Paris
(saparisor) - M

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Looking for the (?maybe?) perfect quilt and need some help finding it. on 10/21/2013 11:55:52 MDT Print View

Chris,

I guess I'm confused about baffles then. I think a baffle is the "vertical" thin fabric layer that separate down chambers, i.e., the "walls." Wouldn't they be sewn/attached into the upper and lower layers of fabrics, i.e., the "ceiling" and the "floor", thus creating separate compartments or boxes. This (regardless of baffle height, material or if the baffles were slightly slanted) would be different from sewn-thru. It seems to me that John is asking for baffles rather than sewn-thru. Is there something further I'm missing?

Edit: not sure I'm being clear. How would horizontal baffles work?

Edited by saparisor on 10/21/2013 12:26:52 MDT.

todd harper
(funnymoney) - MLife

Locale: Sunshine State
Re: Looking for the (?maybe?) perfect quilt and need some help finding it. on 10/21/2013 12:19:40 MDT Print View

Yes, the baffle is actually the fabric BETWEEN the chambers.

Most folks mistakenly call the chamber a "baffle".

Chris W
(simplespirit) - MLife

Re: Re: Looking for the (?maybe?) perfect quilt and need some help finding it. on 10/21/2013 13:59:06 MDT Print View

This Nemo Tango Duo has what John is wanting. Note how the baffles (the mesh connecting to the top and bottom layers of nylon/poly/whatever) run both horizontally and vertically.

I'd say you could just mod one, but removing and replacing the down would be a royal PITA (if even doable without destroying the entire thing).

You'd have to fill and sew chamber by chamber if making from scratch.

Edited by simplespirit on 10/21/2013 14:08:26 MDT.

John Abela
(JohnAbela) - MLife
Re: Re: Re: Looking for the (?maybe?) perfect quilt and need some help finding it. on 11/07/2013 20:40:54 MST Print View

@Todd, Chris,

Yeah, well said guys.

This type of a design is just a nightmare to construct, and why it was said above would be hella'expensive.

Here is an insight into how it would be constructed, only with more length baffle strips (probably 5 or 6 more). And, here is something I hacked together to show what I am talking about.

I have had a number of folks tell me that I could get away with having one or two additional strips in there, and the need for having four more (in the example image) is just over the top, especially given the amount of down in a 15 or 20 degree bag, and that there will not be down shift. Could be.

Anyway guys, just want to say thanks for all the feedback and suggestions. I knew long before I posted this that I was probably SOL but thought there might be somebody with knowledge of some company I have never heard of that might just make what it is that I am after, and thus get lucky and make posting my request worth it.

Thanks all.

+John Abela
HikeLighter.Com
facebook.com/hikelighter
@hikelighter

(edited to add example image)

Edited by JohnAbela on 11/07/2013 20:49:46 MST.