Forum Index » GEAR » Down hooded jackets

Display Avatars Sort By:
Adam G
(anonwums) - MLife
Down hooded jackets on 10/15/2013 22:54:23 MDT Print View

So I'm in the market for a down jacket with a hood. I've read the state of the market report on ultralight jackets which does an excellent job of comparing the different jackets scientifically, but it doesn't really give any good frame of reference for how warm the jackets are. For example, the Montbell UL jacket seems to get good reviews, but then I've read that the Montbell UL jacket is only warm until the 40s, which doesn't seem very warm to me at all except for relatively low altitude summer backpacking.

I'm looking for a hooded down jacket that will keep me warm to maybe 10-20 degrees sitting or standing around. It would be the type of thing I would use on a PCT thru hike. During my time in the Sierras last August, it wasn't unusual to be 20 degrees in the morning if you were camping above 10,000 ft, and I imagine that the early season PCTers have it a bit colder. I imagine I would layer it with a long sleeve base layer, possibly a windshirt, and a hardshell on top for maximum warmth. Is the Alpine Light what I'm looking for? Or am I completely missing something?

Thanks.

Corbin McFarlane
(raven15) - MLife
Feathered Friends Hooded Helios? on 10/15/2013 22:59:25 MDT Print View

Feathered Friends Hooded Helios? It would be massive overkill for the summer months (you could subtract the weight from your sleep system I suppose), but 10F-20F it would be good for.

Chad Lorenz
(ChadL) - MLife

Locale: Teton Valley, Wydaho
montbell on 10/15/2013 23:01:04 MDT Print View

Have a look at the Montbell Mirage...

Rick M
(rmjapan) - F

Locale: Tokyo, Japan
Re: Down hooded jackets on 10/15/2013 23:48:59 MDT Print View

Typical sewn thru down jacket will need ~5oz of 800FP down at 20F and ~7oz at 10F to keep relatively warm at rest wearing just a base layer and 100w fleece midlayer.

Edited by rmjapan on 10/15/2013 23:50:20 MDT.

Serge G.
(sgiachetti) - M

Locale: Boulder, CO
mirage on 10/15/2013 23:53:09 MDT Print View

I'd 2nd the suggestion to checkout the montbell mirage. I think thats about the most jacket you'd want to bring on the PCT, but its about as warm as it gets for that weight. While it could get as low as 10 at a high camp on your PCT, I'd go with something a little lighter, and bundle up in your sleeping bag when it gets that cold, or just start hiking in your puffy first thing in the morning. To get a jacket truly warm at 10 degrees, even your best options will weigh at least 17 oz. Personal preference, I think its better to go lighter and have a system thats better suited for the conditions %98 of the time.

Edited by sgiachetti on 10/16/2013 00:00:30 MDT.

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Locale: A very flat place (Grrrrrrrr)
Goose Feet on 10/16/2013 09:19:22 MDT Print View

Check out Gooses Feet, I have one that weighs 16oz thats good to well below 0F.

Richard Fischel
(RICKO) - F
i was thinking hooded helios too or how about on 10/16/2013 10:12:10 MDT Print View

the brooks range alpini on close-out at rei if they have your size.

jeffrey armbruster
(book) - M

Locale: Northern California
"Down hooded jackets" on 10/16/2013 10:39:09 MDT Print View

I just received the Alpini hooded anorak and am very pleased (20% off the SALE price!). I'm 5'9' and 140 lbs; the large fit me perfectly (not sloppy at all but some room for layers.) The hood is fantastic; you almost have to see it to understand. 7.7 oz's 800 fill and a pretty wind resistant Pertex shell. It's toasty! And no feather leaks so far!

Paul Andronico
(Jakesandwich) - M

Locale: S.F. Bay Area
Brooks Range Alpini on 10/16/2013 10:42:46 MDT Print View

I just got the hooded Alipini on sale at REI. It was in the high 20's to low 30's and windy in the Sierras on Saturday (it snowed at night and on Sunday morning), and the Alpini was super warm and exactly one pound in a large. I felt it would have been pretty warm into the teens. The hood fits great and seals nicely around your face. BPL's review didn't like the side zippers for venting, but I thought they were great for a fisherman who walks around lakes quite a bit, then stops to fish, then moves around again. At $125 bucks after using my 20% coupon, it was an absolute steal.

Edited by Jakesandwich on 10/16/2013 10:45:33 MDT.

Matt Dirksen
(NamelessWay) - MLife

Locale: Mid Atlantic
Re: Down hooded jackets on 10/16/2013 11:00:32 MDT Print View

The new Golite Bitterroot has DownTek in it. I wonder if that will be a norm some day.

When I'm not wearing mine, it makes an awesome pillow.

Matt

John Holmes
(pastyj) - F

Locale: SE US
Montbell UL Down Parka on 10/16/2013 11:22:17 MDT Print View

I have comfortably taken this down to the upper 20s combined with 2 lightweight merino baselayers and a wind shirt.
Also works great for extending the range of a sleeping bag. Super high quality construction and fit. 10 oz in XL.
Recommended.

Edited by pastyj on 10/16/2013 11:22:53 MDT.

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: Down hooded jackets on 10/16/2013 11:40:18 MDT Print View

You have it right: the thin down garments aren't much good for other than a chilly summer morning; likewise the synthetic jackets with wisp of insulation. A high loft fleece and a windshirt will deliver as much or more warmth.

That brooks range alpini looks like a deal.

Dustin Short
(upalachango) - MLife
Down hooded jackets on 10/16/2013 13:23:55 MDT Print View

It may be chilly on the PCT at elevation, but a 10-20F appropriate jacket seems overkill to carry on those few chilly mornings when most of the time it will be sitting in your pack as dead weight. If you do want the extra weight though I agree with the Montbell Mirage recommendation. 900 fp, 5.3oz fill and box baffling for around the 13oz mark is hard to match without going to custom product from the cottage folks (goosefeet could probably match and tailor to your needs). It's pricey but hard to beat for warmth and weight. Otherwise any other hooded down in the 13oz range with 3 to 5oz of down would probably work. Look at a GoLite bitterroot or the Patagonia Down hoodies (UL or regular).

Paul Andronico
(Jakesandwich) - M

Locale: S.F. Bay Area
NM on 10/16/2013 14:00:40 MDT Print View

NM

Edited by Jakesandwich on 10/16/2013 15:03:26 MDT.

McDowell Crook
(mcdcrook) - M

Locale: Southeast
jacket on 10/17/2013 09:02:03 MDT Print View

Take a look at the hooded Mountain Hardwear Ghost Whisperer. 7.5 oz.