Forum Index » GEAR » Waterproofing a wind shirt

Display Avatars Sort By:
Eric Blumensaadt
(Danepacker) - MLife

Locale: Mojave Desert
Re: Re: Waterproofing a wind shirt on 06/24/2007 20:40:55 MDT Print View

Richard,
Good reasoning. The Techron won't stick to NikWax treated material. I withdraw my 2-step treatment recommendation with NikWax.

So I'd just go with Techron alone or, better, so I've heard, is Revivex from WL Gore.

I do know some bicycling wind jacket/shirts are made with highly water repellant fabrics like you mentioned, with no DWR surface treatment. (Nextec?)

Eric

James Pitts
(jjpitts) - F

Locale: Midwest US
Re: Re: Waterproofing a wind shirt on 06/24/2007 21:06:02 MDT Print View

I tried waterproofing the seams of a windshirt I got on closeout. It worked fairly well but it did add a fair amount of weight to the shirt. Also, I didn't find the jacket to be nearly as "breathable". I still like the DriDucks jacket (or just getting wet if it's a warm rain).

I'll add on edit that the DriDucks jacket IS a windproof jacket... said another way...

Windproofing a rain jacket? vs Waterproofing a windshirt? (hehe)

Edited by jjpitts on 06/24/2007 21:10:47 MDT.

kevin davidson
(kdesign) - F

Locale: Mythical State of Jefferson
Why, why, why? on 06/24/2007 21:15:16 MDT Print View

It's now possible to come in under 10 oz., carrying both a dedicated windshirt and a dedicated rain jacket. I think this fact alone derails serious consideration of trying to H2O proof a windshirt. For now...

But just wait for the next generation of DWR currently under development----all the water repellancy that you initially get from today's best DWR but a far more durable and abrasion resistant treatment than is currently available.

http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/news/article/mps/UAN/4690/v/2/sp/

Kenneth Puentes
(pue397) - F

Locale: Southern California
Wind Shirt & Rain Jacket??? on 09/09/2007 21:24:44 MDT Print View

Based on the experience that some of you have with the Featherlite H2O, could it sereve double-duty as a windshirt and sole rain jacket for summere use? If yes to summer use, any sense how much futher into fall/spring it could comfortably used in this fashion? Generally would have light/mid weight base later beneath and if necessary, insulating layer as well. Feedback greatly appreciated.

-Ken

Edited by pue397 on 09/09/2007 21:26:31 MDT.