Forum Index » GEAR » ULA Ohm

Display Avatars Sort By:
Paul Wozniak
(PaulW)

Locale: Midwest
ULA Ohm on 06/22/2007 14:45:59 MDT Print View

Skeptical, I loaded up this 18 oz beauty. Hammock, over- and underquilts, tarp, bushbuddy and pot, etc + 4 days food made it in! The extension collar accomodated the other 2 days food.

Oh but the load...24 lbs. With water plentiful I opted to carry only a liter. This was gonna hurt. But, lo, the carbon fiber suspension hoop magically transfered most weight to the conforming waist belt (from which I took my camera for a panoramic shot..and a snack). It rode like a Cadillac! I have forgotten all about my 2 1/2 lbs. Osprey Atmos 35.

Days of bushwhacking and nary a nick on this tough dyneema fortress. With dwindling load the compression straps.....wh, what?

It's only a dream? A @#*#! dream? NOOOO! Please Mr. ULA (Croatian?), a teaser. Anything. I'm in pain here.

kevin davidson
(kdesign) - F

Locale: Mythical State of Jefferson
Croatian? on 06/22/2007 15:08:19 MDT Print View

U.L.A. stands for Ultra Light Adventure. The proprietor is Brian Frankle.
Great dream.

Jessen Jacobsen
(SmokiesHanger) - F

Locale: Boulder
Ohm on 06/22/2007 15:08:56 MDT Print View

For a minute there I thought you actually had an Ohm, and I thought, "Not fair!"

I too am anxiously waiting the release on this new pack. My base weights are always in the ultralight range, but I just don't like frameless packs that much. I love my Circuit, but it ends up being 20% of my pack weight. The Ohm looks perfect for me, 18oz with a frame similar to the Circuit's.

Brian Frankle
(bdf37) - F
ULA Ohm on 06/22/2007 19:18:49 MDT Print View

...and for a minute you had me fooled as well! Thanks for the playful reminder that I am guilty of creating Vapor Ware. My apologies!

So...when? Soon? Never? We'll see. Trying to tie up lots of other backordered loose ends before launching the OHM. My intent (read: ideal world, best case scenario) is to do one run before I shut down in August for my annual Fall season absence.

I'll be sure to post if that is the case.

Sleep well, and may your dream sequences be more pleasant!

Brian

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Locale: So Cal
What is ULA? on 06/22/2007 19:32:53 MDT Print View

Posted above -- "U.L.A. stands for Ultra Light Adventure."

Perhaps, but to me, it sometimes feels like Ultra Long Anticipation. Compared to the long-talked-about-but-nowhere-to-be-seen ULA panel loader, the Ohm actually feels downright imminent! :)

Edited by ben2world on 06/22/2007 19:33:25 MDT.

Brian Frankle
(bdf37) - F
Re: What is ULA? on 06/22/2007 21:43:33 MDT Print View

Ben-

I knew I'd hear about that %$#&ing panel loader from you some time in this thread... :)

Brian

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Re: What is ULA? on 06/22/2007 21:51:21 MDT Print View

Brian:

It's a reflection of our enthusiasm for your pack designs that we want to see a panel loader from you.

Now, what's that saying about finishing one's homework before going out and play??? :)

Edited by ben2world on 06/22/2007 22:08:08 MDT.

Aaron Sorensen
(awsorensen) - MLife

Locale: South of Forester Pass
Re: Re: What is ULA? on 06/22/2007 22:10:47 MDT Print View

But his work is play?

Brian just calls it design testing for the next prodject to come out.

Gabriel August
(gaugust) - F

Locale: Penn's Woods
Re: Re: Re: What is ULA? on 06/22/2007 22:41:19 MDT Print View

boy i wish i had an out like that. "design testing" could get me out of three or four weeks of work easy...

kidding. i'm sure the weight will be extremely worth it.

Jason Brinkman
(jbrinkmanboi) - MLife

Locale: Idaho
Re: ULA Ohm on 06/22/2007 23:48:54 MDT Print View

The anticipation has me checking the ULA website on a daily basis. I might have to make the drive from Boise to Logan, and show up unannounced, to see if I can catch a glimpse of the prototype! Sounds like the perfect pack by the current description.

Paul Wozniak
(PaulW)

Re: ULA Ohm on 06/23/2007 10:18:03 MDT Print View

Please Brian, never say never! It may be vapor, but it is perfect vapor.

May I suggest a subtle name change to Om, a complex word and mantra that can mean "pacification of suffering toward the attainment of happiness". I know cause Google told me.

Thanks for posting and having a sense of humor about it.

Paul

p.s. Not Croation? Sure Mr. ULA (wink, wink). Now let's look up that Borat fellow and lift a Vodka to the future.

You're slavic brother

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Re: Re: ULA Ohm on 06/23/2007 11:17:56 MDT Print View

Paul:

Careful with what you are asking. OM opens up the entire world of Hindu philosophy -- where everything is transitory and nothing is real -- just like vapor ware! :)

Edited by ben2world on 06/23/2007 11:18:32 MDT.

Paul Wozniak
(PaulW)

Re: ULA Ohm on 06/23/2007 14:08:24 MDT Print View

Ben,

And so it seems we come full circle, from nothing, into nothing. OM.

I hear Brian makes nice packs, the last main need to my UL kit. I think this one might just be worth a wait to see if it develops.

I'm pulling for you Brian and thanks for the update.

Sean Nordeen
(Miner) - F

Locale: SoCAL
Ohm is on website on 01/31/2009 00:23:03 MST Print View

Brian is finally posting info on his website about the Ohm again. I had heard earlier that Feb.1 was the official launch date so hopefully he'll have the new weight info up this weekend as the specs are still missing.
http://www.ula-equipment.com/ohm.htm

Edited by Miner on 01/31/2009 00:23:41 MST.

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Re: Ohm is on website on 01/31/2009 00:29:32 MST Print View

Or click here for Ohm

Andrew King
(drewboy) - F

Locale: Arizona
New ULA Ohm on 01/31/2009 06:03:42 MST Print View

I want one! Looks like Brian has addressed all the issues I had with the Amp. I wonder what the weight will come in at? With the new Conduit at 17oz he's only got a few oz to play with.

Chris W
(simplespirit) - MLife

Locale: WNC
Re: New ULA Ohm on 01/31/2009 07:11:12 MST Print View

Since it has a suspension I'm thinking it'll be between the Conduit and Circuit in weight.

Brian UL
(MAYNARD76)

Locale: New England
Re: New ULA Ohm on 01/31/2009 07:13:12 MST Print View

I cant tell from the picture. Does this pack have the same compression system as the AMP?
Ill be waiting for the reviews.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
ULA Ohm on 01/31/2009 08:07:40 MST Print View

It appears to have the same suspension as the previous Circuit. The Amp was frameless, wasn't it?

Andrew King
(drewboy) - F

Locale: Arizona
New ULA Ohm on 01/31/2009 08:19:58 MST Print View

Yes, the Amp is a frameless pack. The compression system on the Ohm does look very similar to the Amp, however.