November 20, 2015 8:16 PM MST - Subscription purchasing, account maintenance, forum profile maintenance, new account registration, and forum posting have been disabled
as we prepare our databases for the final migration to our new server next week. Stay tuned here for more details.
Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Best one pound sleeping bag?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Valentin Zill
(Valentin.Zill) - F

Locale: Europe
Re: Re: Re. Best one pound sleeping bag on 06/24/2007 05:42:54 MDT Print View

The Yeti V.I.B. 250 bag is still available at , even in a new 2007 version. Website is in german language only. Contact me if you need help.
I once had this bag, it's very flimsy, and a Nunatak Arc Edge keeps you warmer.

I'd suggest either a Nunatak Arc Ghost or Arc Alpinist, depending on the temps you're gonna encounter.

Lynn Tramper
(retropump) - F

Locale: The Antipodes of La Coruna
Re: Best one pound sleeping bag? on 06/24/2007 13:43:02 MDT Print View

The WM POD 30 is by far the warmest 1 pound bag you will find. It just needs some minor modifications to fit the sleeping mat of your choice...

David Stenberg
(dstenberg1) - F

Locale: South
Re: Re: Best one pound sleeping bag? on 06/24/2007 14:59:26 MDT Print View

---warning shameless plug to follow---

Yes I happen to be selling a Pod 30 right now in the gear swap section if anyone's intersted.

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: Re: Re: Best one pound sleeping bag? on 06/24/2007 18:49:50 MDT Print View

That is soooooo tempting. If I was going to build a bag/quilt, that is the design I would follow. I think a top bag with a captive pad would help with my thrashing ways.

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: quilt demo on 06/24/2007 20:48:41 MDT Print View

Lindsey Gay wrote "Dear Dale, If you would like to try a quilt with no strings attached, you are welcome to borrow my 28 degree Ray-Way quilt for an outing. It should fit to 6 feet, although cut a bit narrow...."

Thanks so much for your offer-- I'm just a couple miles from the UW. I wouldn't need to borrow it, but I could ask you a couple dozen questions--- is your quilt down or synthetic? Did you make it yourself? What was the cost?

James Pitts
(jjpitts) - F

Locale: Midwest US
Re: Best one pound sleeping bag? on 06/24/2007 21:01:10 MDT Print View

I have the Marmot Pounder Plus... I use it on Kayak trips. I don't know about that 54 degree rating I think someone posted... I would swear I have slept in it on colder nights than that with no problem. That said, I totally agree that Marmot is too generous with their bag ratings. That is NOT a 25 degree sleeping bag.

I have never carried it on a backpacking trip.

I do use it on trips with the Boy Scouts (car camping basically).

Dondo .

Locale: Colorado Rockies
Re: Re: Best one pound sleeping bag? on 06/25/2007 07:02:41 MDT Print View

I was referring to the Pounder, not the 2 lb.,2 oz Pounder Plus. The Pounder Plus gets a EN 13537 lower limit rating of 36F. If you go to you can find the EN13537 ratings for many of the Marmot bags.