Forum Index » Make Your Own Gear » Pure Spectra/Dyneema fabric for $45/yard

Display Avatars Sort By:
Colin Krusor
(ckrusor) - M

Locale: Northwest US
Pure Spectra/Dyneema fabric for $45/yard on 10/10/2013 23:22:20 MDT Print View

Just thought I'd post this because it is the lowest price I've seen for pure UHMWPE fabric:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/High-Quality-Dyneema-Woven-Fabric-Plain-Weave-Spectra-Fabric-White-400D-UHMWPE-Cloth-125g-160cm-width/1314595820.html

fabric

This is plain-weave 400D composite reinforcement cloth, 4 oz/square yard, 63 inches in width. It is being sold in two-linear meter lots for $100 (free shipping), which is half of the cheapest prices I've seen before for pure woven UHMWPE. Note that the relatively loose weave, the slipperiness of the fibers, and the lack of any coating makes application of this to most backpacking projects questionable. I'm posting this as a favor to those who have expressed an interest in trying to use a fabric like this, not because I believe that it is worth it. I don't plan on buying any, myself.

Edited by ckrusor on 10/10/2013 23:25:00 MDT.

Matthew Perry
(bigfoot2) - F - M

Locale: Oregon
Pure Spectra/Dyneema fabric for $45/yard on 10/11/2013 17:47:24 MDT Print View

Good luck sewing it, too. Bet it breaks most needles/machines in a heartbeat.

M

Luke Schmidt
(Cameron) - MLife

Locale: The WOODS
Cool but not for most people on 10/11/2013 18:14:16 MDT Print View

A year or so ago someone found a similar deal and posted it. Several of us were discussing a group order. Then Ryan Jordan saw the thread and told us all about sewing that stuff. Basically it would have been impossible with the sewing machines we had. So that idea died.

Great stuff I'm sure just do you research and make sure you can work with the stuff.

just Justin Whitson
(ArcturusBear) - M
Re: Cool but not for most people on 10/11/2013 19:43:07 MDT Print View

Have no idea, but the titanium coated sewing needles might be able to handle fabric like this, but one might need a more heavy duty, industrial type sewing machine.

just Justin Whitson
(ArcturusBear) - M
Re: Re: Cool but not for most people on 10/11/2013 19:52:30 MDT Print View

It's still too heavy and too expensive for use, besides the other potential issues. For the price of the material, you could buy some pre made clothes that are on clearance for a bit more. They make UHMWPE t-shirts, long sleeve shirts, socks, etc as protective clothing.

Or, if making a pack, you can buy the Ebay "bullet proof" material that they sell for reasonable. It's coated and cheaper, but i imagine pretty hard to sew or work with.

Well, thank you for the heads up anyways.

I've kind of given up on the project. I have some Dyneema protective long sleeves that i use for motorcycle riding (fairly cheap, like 20 dollars a pair). I plan on just increasing the lifetime of my lower pants and sleeves of shirts/jackets by using these over same sort of how i use it for motorcycle riding. I will add velcro to them to help it stay better.

David Olsen
(oware)

Locale: Steptoe Butte
Re: Pure Spectra/Dyneema fabric for $45/yard on 10/11/2013 20:03:04 MDT Print View

Chain saw chaps? Haul bags?

It should sew fine as it looks like a loose weave. You would probably have to cut it with a hot cutter.