Sawyer Mini design...so close
Display Avatars Sort By:
John Holmes
(jcholmes)

Locale: SouthEastern US
My solution on 10/13/2013 18:55:43 MDT Print View

I have to agree with Chad...you can't please everyone. Cheers to those who like the mini exactly as is.

Not being one of those, here is the modification I made for $0 and a 15 minute investment:

- Take any cap that will screw onto your clean bottle (I used one of the caps from the sawyer bottles...I never use them).
- Drill a hole in the top of the cap slightly larger than the output nipple.
- Slide the cap over the nipple and epoxy it to the body.
- I nipped the tether off of the cap and simply slip the cap on. True, the cap is no longer captured, but I noticed that the stiff plastic of the tether had already started to fatigue and crack.

Sawyer Mini output modification

Finally, note that this modification still allows use of the Mini in any of the "stock" configurations.

Edited by jcholmes on 10/13/2013 18:57:44 MDT.

Kurt Suttell
(krshome) - F
Squeeze mod on 11/11/2013 12:55:12 MST Print View

insideend I have to say I like your mod to the mini. I moded my squeeze but it took a lot more work and money. I may have to try the mini mod, Hows the epoxy holding??

Edited by krshome on 11/11/2013 12:55:51 MST.

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: Squeeze mod on 11/11/2013 13:52:55 MST Print View

Clever! Food grade silicone adhesive might work too. If you're not using the fitting for back flushing, there is little pressure on that side. Holding the weight of the full container is the stressful part.

Ross Bleakney
(rossbleakney) - MLife

Locale: Cascades
Re: Re: Squeeze mod on 11/11/2013 17:13:18 MST Print View

>> Holding the weight of the full container is the stressful part.

Yes, and the key, in my opinion. Using tubes like Chad did is fine, except the tubes can very easily come off. This is why the Tornado Tube approach (shown in the video Andy linked to) is popular. Just hang everything from the top cord, and you have a great drip system. It looks like the epoxy technique can do the same thing. Nice modification. Like everyone said, though, it would be nice to not have to do these sorts of modifications. I think there should be holes in the side of the bags so that it is obvious you can hang it from there, along with good connectors for the clean side. Worrying about setting up backwards seems like a needless worry. There are plenty of drip filters that can be set up backwards. Just put big arrows on the outside and you are good to go.

John Holmes
(pastyj) - F

Locale: North Central Florida
Re: Re: Re: Squeeze mod on 11/12/2013 16:49:31 MST Print View

Kurt,

So far so good. The epoxy is holding like...well...epoxy :) Seriously, I think the cap would fail long before the attachment.
Street price for the Mini seems to be about $20 which darn near puts it in the "disposable" category. I'd really like to see Sawyer address this design "shortcoming" but since people like Chad like it as is, perhaps 15 min. work, a spare cap and a dab of glue is a very small inconvenience to make a great product almost perfect.

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: Mini mod on 11/12/2013 16:52:49 MST Print View

Somewhere in a cubicle at Sawyer is a guy from the design team saying, "I told you so." :)

Shaun Gregory
(tacodog) - F
Sawyer Mini design...so close on 03/02/2014 19:53:53 MST Print View

Somewhere in a cubicle at Sawyer is a guy from the design team saying, "I told you so." :)
now that's funny

ok my question is with the bottle cap mod it is now a closed system, are there any issues with air pressure in the clean bottle that needs to vent while filling up?

td

Glenn S
(Glenn64) - M

Locale: Snowhere, MN
Re: My solution on 03/02/2014 20:02:31 MST Print View

I'm still not sure why people don't use a SmartWater flip cap. Still way too cold for me to field test, but at home it works awesome. The nipple of the flipcap fits right over the Sawyer nipple. No muss, no fuss. I even squeezed pretty hard to backflush this way and it didn't even leak. I suppose epoxy if you wanted it permanent, but I just use this cap for my drinking bottle and when I want to flush, just stick it on the end of the sawyer. Nothing could be easier.

M G
(drown) - F - MLife

Locale: Shenandoah
Re: Sawyer Mini design...so close on 03/02/2014 20:42:15 MST Print View

ok my question is with the bottle cap mod it is now a closed system, are there any issues with air pressure in the clean bottle that needs to vent while filling up?

YES!

Shaun Gregory
(tacodog) - F
Smartwater cap on 03/03/2014 02:56:41 MST Print View

I'm still not sure why people don't use a SmartWater flip cap.

+10 on this. I was pondering this last night with several different caps and also found that the smartwater bottle caps worked great like this. No issues with air pressure.
smartwater cap

smartwater cap
td

John Holmes
(pastyj) - F

re: clean bottle venting on 03/03/2014 07:01:23 MST Print View

With my demonstrated mod of epoxying a cap to the output side, yes this is now a closed system...closed to anything going in other than clean water from the filter, and closed to air coming out.

If you use soft bottles as I do (platypus, evernew, etc) you simply start with all the air squeezed out of the clean bottle. If I want to fill the bottle to the absolute top and have not done a very good job of squeezing out all the air to start, I sometimes have to slightly loosen the cap at the very end of the fill.

The only way for this closed system approach to work if you use hard bottles (Nalgene, SmartWater, recycled PET, etc) is to leave the cap slightly loose to allow air to escape. IMO this is still a vast improvement as you only barely crack the cap open. For anything to go in from outside the system, it would need to do so past the air coming out.

Glenn S
(Glenn64) - M

Re: Sawyer Mini design...so close on 03/03/2014 08:41:38 MST Print View

I guess I'm not sure what the end goal is here. Is cross contamination and spillage the only goals? (not sure I understand either as a concern) Or is this to work as a hanging gravity filter, or something else I'm not realizing?

I keep chuckling to myself thinking if Sawyer had released this with bottle fittings on both ends, then the title of this thread would be:

"Sawyer mod to remove excess 8 grams"

While half the people contemplated different ways to cut off the end and the other half say it's just right.

Shaun Gregory
(tacodog) - F
Sawyer Mini design...so close on 03/03/2014 12:05:56 MST Print View

My end goal was to have a way to squeeze water into a clean bottle/bag without having to dick with keeping a straw inside the clean bottle/bag while rolling or squeezing the dirty bottle/bag. I like the smartwater cap.

td

Glenn S
(Glenn64) - M

Re: Sawyer Mini design...so close on 03/03/2014 17:20:00 MST Print View

Shaun, that makes sense. Do you drink right from the bag then? I find that awkward, but whatever works. It just seemed by some of the other posts that there was some greater system in play that I wasn't seeing.

Shaun Gregory
(tacodog) - F
Sawyer Mini design...so close on 03/04/2014 07:37:41 MST Print View

I use .5l pepsi bottles for drinking while hiking. I will fill a platy soft bottle for cooking and tea. I still look for different methods given my inexperience and whether I am solo or with my son.

Delmar O'Donnell
(Bolster)

Locale: Between Jacinto & Gorgonio
Food Grade Epoxy? on 03/04/2014 08:25:10 MST Print View

Where did you find a food-grade epoxy, and what's it called? Thanks.

John Holmes
(pastyj) - F

re: food grade epoxy on 03/04/2014 16:32:16 MST Print View

Lots of options here:
http://www.atomadhesives.com/FDA-Grade-Adhesive-Food-Safe-Epoxy

I got a lot more results from googling "food grade epoxy"

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: re: food grade epoxy on 03/04/2014 16:42:58 MST Print View

Is that for making backpacker food stick to your ribs?

--B.G.--

Delmar O'Donnell
(Bolster)

Locale: Between Jacinto & Gorgonio
Which? on 03/05/2014 12:50:27 MST Print View

Did you use one of those food grade epoxies you linked to, John? If so, which do you recommend?

Kurt Suttell
(krshome) - F
Sawyer Mini but you can't have it on 03/12/2014 16:38:48 MDT Print View

miniAny of you seen one of these? If you can't figure it out it has two female end caps.

Edited by krshome on 03/13/2014 12:05:32 MDT.