Forum Index » GEAR » Sawyer Mini design...so close

Display Avatars Sort By:
John Holmes
(jcholmes)

Locale: SouthEastern US
Sawyer Mini design...so close on 10/10/2013 16:51:37 MDT Print View

I have loved my Squeeze since Sawyer released it. It replaced a 23 oz First Need purifier with a 5.5 oz system that did nearly the same job with less effort and hassle.

The new Mini is a huge improvement over the Squeeze in nearly every aspect but one ... a design decision that has me baffled. Why not put the same input fitting on the output side? You would lose no functionality and gain the ability to screw on the clean bag creating a "closed" system. This would eliminate spills and greatly reduce the chance of cross contamination. This one simple modification would make the Mini, IMHO, perfect.

Am I missing something?
How best to present this suggestion to Sawyer?
Would they listen?

Erik G
(fox212) - F

Locale: THE Bay Area :)
Re: so close on 10/10/2013 16:58:57 MDT Print View

I 100% completely and totally agree. The mini is still an improvement over the original, but female threads on the outlet would be a HUGE improvement on the mini...Maybe that's in the works for the 2015 model... ;)

I wonder how well it would work to take a standard-thread bottle cap, drill a hole thru the center to clear the nipple, and bond it to the outlet. That would, in effect, add female threads to the outlet. I think I know what my first Mini mod will be!

Edit: I think contacting Sawyer and telling them about the idea, is a good idea. The more people that express a need for this feature, the more they'll be compelled to add it into future products.

Edited by fox212 on 10/10/2013 17:02:28 MDT.

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: Sawyer Mini design...so close on 10/10/2013 17:13:03 MDT Print View

I'de say the new Mini is a slight improvement - 1 ounce

If you had female threads on the output, you could use it to backwash

With either the Squeeze or Mini, screw it on soda or water bottle, squeeze and there's a stream of water, point it at and fill your clean water bottle

If you screwed it into clean water bottle, it would create air pressure and quickly inhibit flow.

I went backpacking with some teenagers. They had a MSR filter. Screwed output onto Platypus bag. The Platypus bag exploded. Fortunately, they had extra bags (and extra saws, axes, stoves,...).

Andrew Stow
(AndyS) - F - MLife

Locale: Midwest USA
Left off on purpose? on 10/10/2013 18:23:36 MDT Print View

Maybe the outer case isn't strong enough to take the load of someone attaching bottles directly to both sides, and they left the threads off to prevent a failure mode. Forces you to use a piece of tubing, instead of like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFeaG6lFh9I

Samuel C. Farrington
(scfhome) - M

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA
Squeeze Mini on 10/10/2013 18:59:07 MDT Print View

Sounds like a great idea, John, for those using gravity or squeezing to fill a collapsible bottle.

Am new to all this, so please bear with me. The part I don't get, is why the syringe doesn't mate with the output tube for back flushing. Will make a little connector, but don't get why Sawyer didn't make it possible to attach the syringe. (The supplied straw doesn't mate with the syringe.)

Also wonder where I'll get filtered water to backflush with. If any old lake or stream water is used, it will contaminate the output tube. Boiled and cooled water would be OK, but it would still be filled with the microscopic stuff that clogs up the filter in the first place. Or is it advisable to backflush only when you reach a public water supply?

Thinking I must be missing something here. Can anyone clear it up? Thanks.

Chad Poindexter
(Stick) - F

Locale: Wet & Humid Southeast....
Easy fix on 10/10/2013 19:15:23 MDT Print View

Mini Adapter

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Re: Squeeze Mini on 10/10/2013 19:23:30 MDT Print View

"Also wonder where I'll get filtered water to backflush with."

You filter some water

Then use it to backflush

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: Sawyer Mini design...so close on 10/10/2013 19:26:02 MDT Print View

If it was the same on both ends people would use it backwards too easily. They don't read, follow or seem to comprehend instructions. You know, those people.

John Holmes
(jcholmes)

Thanks to all who replied on 10/10/2013 19:31:23 MDT Print View

Jerry - I use collapsible bottles so with a litte care I'm pretty sure I won't be blowing anything up :)

Andy - I suppose a material weakness is possible, but my experience with both the Squeeze and the Mini make me doubt it. That black plastic is tough!

Chad - Easy, yes! Also needlessly complicated requiring 2 more pieces and another $5 purchase. That said, I had planned to implement exactly what you have shown as it is the best option short of the mod I proposed.

Ken - Maybe "those" people deserve what they get? I'm joking. Also I fail to see how the current design prevents using the filter backwards...hook it up per Chad's suggestion and have at it.

BTW, I sent my original post to Sawyer's feedback email address. I'll post any response I receive.

Edited by jcholmes on 10/10/2013 19:35:26 MDT.

Chad Poindexter
(Stick) - F

Re: Thanks to all who replied on 10/10/2013 20:19:27 MDT Print View

I figure that many that already had the Squeeze likely already have the adapters like in my photo. Although, I understand not all do...The Platy drinking tube would also work.

Dean F.
(acrosome) - MLife

Locale: Back in the Front Range
Re: Thanks to all who replied on 10/11/2013 12:40:37 MDT Print View

Unfortunately, "those" people are also litiginous...

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: Re: Thanks to all who replied on 10/11/2013 12:51:01 MDT Print View

"Unfortunately, "those" people are also litiginous..."

Naw, just hosers, eh? :)

Samuel C. Farrington
(scfhome) - M

learning about the mini squeeze on 10/11/2013 22:39:10 MDT Print View

Very funny - har-de-har-har-ha.

Jerry, re:
"You filter some water.
Then use it to backflush"

Duh OK. Could you also tell me if I'm missing something about why the syringe doesn't connect to the outflow tube for backflushing? Thanks.

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Re: learning about the mini squeeze on 10/11/2013 23:06:01 MDT Print View

I must be missing something. I hate it when I make a joke but didn't know I was doing so : )

On the Squeeze there's a nipple on the output as well as male threads

You push the syringe against that nipple and push on the syringe to get water to flow backwards through the filter

You have to hold the syringe aginst the nipple, it doesn't connect in any way

This is sort of awkward, I don't know why they don't design it so it fits on, but no big deal

I assume the mini is the same

John Abela
(JohnAbela) - MLife
Re: Sawyer Mini design...so close on 10/11/2013 23:47:59 MDT Print View

+1 to what the OP said.

-1 to all these "mods" just to make it work like it should

John Holmes
(jcholmes)

Re: Sawyer Mini design...so close on 10/12/2013 07:44:03 MDT Print View

John,
As one of the most prolific, and referenced reviewers of gear on the web I assume you have informed Sawyer of this "oversight"? :)

If I have to mod it to make it "work as it should" I will. Just think such mods are a little silly given how good the rest of the design is.

Like I said...so close!

Chad Poindexter
(Stick) - F

I prefer it the way it is... on 10/12/2013 13:56:33 MDT Print View

I gotta admit, it's hard to please the masses with this one. I personally like it the way it is. I have no need to screw anything to the top of it, so it works for me, while being the lightest weight possible... Just sayin'...

Samuel C. Farrington
(scfhome) - M

mini squeeze on 10/12/2013 17:06:27 MDT Print View

Jerry,
Was laughing at the other posts, although yours was pretty good even if not intended to be witty.
Thank you for clearing up the connection issues. I will make a connector to hold the front of the syringe to the outflow tube of the mini.
And thanks for the heads up. Will make sure not to let the mini get totally clogged before filtering water for backflushing.
FYI, am back to trying to mate a handpump with a squeeze, this time with the mini.
Although I gave up before, there now seems to be a little light at the end of the tunnel. We'll see in a bit.

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Re: mini squeeze on 10/12/2013 17:19:02 MDT Print View

Actually, I intended to be not intending to be funny which is funny : )

We're a pretty funny bunch here...

I never use my Squeeze for more than a week so I just backflush it when I get home

Samuel C. Farrington
(scfhome) - M

mini squeeze on 10/12/2013 17:48:28 MDT Print View

Jerry,
Just re-read Daryl's thread, the one with yours and Harald Hope's comments.
Looks like a syringe with a nozzle would be better than trying to devise a connector for the syringe that comes with the mini.
Even better, since I switched to soft-sided Nalgenes, a substitute Nalgene top with a nozzle could plug right into a tube from the mini for backflushing.
Now to find a Nalgene top with a nozzle.
Got it: http://store.nalgene.com/product-p/1-0460-26.htm
Without the clear dome cap, a half oz lighter than the 2 oz. syringe that came with the mini. Already have two, because the soft-sided bottles came with them.
Progress, maybe.