Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Carbon-Fiber Toggles
Display Avatars Sort By:
Kevin Babione
(KBabione) - MLife

Locale: Pennsylvania
Carbon-Fiber Toggles on 10/10/2013 12:15:19 MDT Print View

I picked up some carbon-fiber toggles for my hammock setup (Marlin Spike Hitch) and was surprised after my last night when I noticed both of them were crushed in the middle...

Carbon Fiber Toggles

The "knot" on my tree strap was slightly stuck inside the toggle! If I were going to be out another night I would have picked up a nice stick to use rather than trusting these any more.

Anyone else out there have issues like this? All of my other toggles are aluminum and I've never had a problem with them. These carbon toggles have a smaller diameter than my aluminum toggles - I wonder if that was part of the issue?

Javan Dempsey
(jdempsey)

Locale: The-Stateless-Society
Re: Carbon-Fiber Toggles on 10/10/2013 12:56:44 MDT Print View

Doesn't surprise me. This is not the direction of load that CF is ideal for.

How weight savings over aluminum tubing ones is there? I use toggles made from a cut easton nail stake, and have never had a prob. They're also alot easier to see if I lose them.

Kevin Babione
(KBabione) - MLife

Locale: Pennsylvania
Carbon-Fiber Toggles on 10/10/2013 13:41:39 MDT Print View

I just weighed them...

My scale only goes to the gram level, but here are the results:

Carbon fiber toggle - 1 gram
Aluminum toggle - 2 grams

I just ordered a set of aluminum toggles to replace the CF ones...I guess I'll be carrying a couple extra grams with me next trip.

My toggles have short loops of string on them and I tie them to one end of my tree strap so they're always where I need them. About the only way I could lose one would be if the string broke or if I lost (or forgot to take down) my strap.