Forum Index » GEAR » Bad experience with Jetboil

Display Avatars Sort By:
eric chan
(bearbreeder) - F - M
Reliable on 10/09/2013 21:34:19 MDT Print View

The old jetboil pcs is utterly and totally reliable IME

The new fancy titanium ones??? Who knows ... The extra 1-2 oz lighter is nice i guess, but i like a bit more durability

Ive cooked everything from canned chilli to thick beef chunks frying pan style in mine

Still it never hurts to buy from somewhere like mec with an unlimited warranty

;)

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
Re: Reliable on 10/09/2013 22:36:27 MDT Print View

I like the almost 8 oz savings over the original versions with my Ti version. Over the past 2.5 years it has been stone reliable. Knock on wood.

eric chan
(bearbreeder) - F - M
Re: Re: Reliable on 10/10/2013 00:09:10 MDT Print View

ahhh ... but how much do you save over the AL SOL version ...

which interestingly enough doesnt seem to have the warning about only boiling water in it on the website

;)

Mark S
(gixer) - F - M
Don't start me off about Jetboil on 10/10/2013 10:59:13 MDT Print View

Don't start me off about Jetboil, terrible terrible company, i'd never buy another jetboil product as long as i live.

Been fortunate enough to dissuade several others from purchasing their products so far.

Used my Ti pot to cook some very very sloppy baked beans, figured they were more fluid than solid so they'd be fine.
Ended up with this

[IMG]http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d43/cbr6fs/IMAG0264.jpg[/IMG]

Sad thing is, because of the design it's extremely difficult to keep an eye on the fins AND stir, plus because it sits so snug by the time you do notice it's too late.

Contacted JB as after i search i'd found several others had exactly the same problem, many of which were able to get a replacement.
Received a quick reply and was told to return the cup, i asked if there was a European dealer than i could send it to as i'm in Greece and was told that there is no warranty on any products sold in the EU.

So it's a company that knows 100% there is a fundamental design flaw with one of it's products, replaces some units, ignores others, then rights off any sales outside the USA as they refuse to warranty them.

I strongly urge any member wanting a stove to look elsewhere, there are companies out there that are more than happy to take your money and WILL look after you if you have problems with their products.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Re: Re: Re: Reliable on 10/10/2013 11:42:55 MDT Print View

"ahhh ... but how much do you save over the AL SOL version ..."

Don't care, I got a Pro Deal.

Next.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Re: Don't start me off about Jetboil on 10/10/2013 11:44:43 MDT Print View

Jet Boil...vs...Jet Cook.

Did you boil over?

Greg Mihalik
(greg23) - M

Locale: Colorado
Re: Re: Don't start me off about Jetboil on 10/10/2013 11:50:18 MDT Print View

image from Mark S., above -

JetBoilMetled

So, How did this happen? You didn't stir, the liquid at the bottom boiled off, and the bottom of the cup overheated?

Are those fins aluminum?

Just asking, not dissen'

Edited by greg23 on 10/10/2013 11:59:54 MDT.

eric chan
(bearbreeder) - F - M
Re: Re: Re: Re: Reliable on 10/10/2013 11:56:57 MDT Print View

"ahhh ... but how much do you save over the AL SOL version ..."

Don't care, I got a Pro Deal.

Next.

how much WEIGHT do you save over the AL SOL version

should be comparing apples to apples on what is sold now, not against the 1st gen much older jetboil mr ure

;)

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Reliable on 10/10/2013 12:00:47 MDT Print View

Eric said: "The old jetboil pcs is utterly and totally reliable IME

The new fancy titanium ones??? Who knows ... The extra 1-2 oz lighter is nice i guess, but i like a bit more durability"

And then said "how much WEIGHT do you save over the AL SOL version

should be comparing apples to apples on what is sold now, not against the 1st gen much older jetboil mr ure"

-----
abuse deleted.
-----

Edited by rcaffin on 10/23/2013 14:36:16 MDT.

eric chan
(bearbreeder) - F - M
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Reliable on 10/10/2013 12:07:35 MDT Print View

You little Troll, you.

first of all its a relevant question as you brough up the "8 oz" savings ...

second of all its a relevant question as we havent hear alot about the AL SOL version failing the same way, nor does jetboil warn that the AL version is only for water

lastly you seem to resort to "flaming' and "trolling" when you cant answer a simple question

i suggest we take this "trolling" to PM and not continue with it further on this thread

;)

Christopher *
(cfrey.0) - M

Locale: US East Coast
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Reliable on 10/10/2013 14:21:44 MDT Print View

We get it.

The feelings the two of you have developed for one another are new and confusing and frightening.

The heathy and responsible action is to stop derailing public threads and keep your affair a private matter.

Samuel C. Farrington
(scfhome) - M

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA
Jetboils on 10/10/2013 19:18:13 MDT Print View

"I don't care about boil time, I just care about efficiency - oz of fuel to boil a pint of water."

You are right, Jerry. And that's what it would be nice to have an article about.
Plus comparative weights.

Thanks.

P.S. I want to see Family Guy and Bearbreeder square off on Wrestle Mania.

K C
(KalebC) - F

Locale: South West
Called Jetboil this morning on 10/10/2013 20:12:19 MDT Print View

I called this morning and spoke to the same person I did the other two times, she gave me the runaround and got nowhere. I told her that it was not fair that they kept my titanium cup and I expected a replacement or my cup back, she took down my number and told me that another person would call me to explain their policies.........

I sent back the Sumo Ti cup in late August and still have nothing..... I'll keep you posted.

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: Called Jetboil this morning on 10/10/2013 21:25:38 MDT Print View

Sometimes you can just wear them out if you keep calling them.

Maybe you'll get someone else one time and get a different response.

Don't be angry, just state the facts and tell them you want a replacement.

Tell her you're not satisfied with her response and ask to talk to her supervisor.

Tell her you're discussing this on this website, a lot of satisfied people, a lot of unsatisfied, a lot thinking about what to buy.

etc....

Jim Couch
(JBC) - M

Locale: Cascade Mountains
Try this. on 10/10/2013 21:33:26 MDT Print View

You don't want to talk to the same person, they obviously are not in a position to solve your problem. Here is how I would go about this.

first, don't wait for the call back, you have already waited long enough. Call again. No matter who you get, clearly state what you want/expect of them. For example, I would like to either get a replacement cup or my old cup back. Ask them if they are the person able to give you a yes on this, be polite but firm. Tell them if they are unable to give you a yes answer you would like to speak to the person who can give you a yes or their supervisor. Keep this process up until you get a yes or hit the top.

If you get the runaround, let the person you are talking to know that your plan is to then start with the CEO of Johnson Outdoors (who now own JetBoil.) BTW, the late founder of Johnson Outdoors, Samuel C. Johnson's (Sam)overriding principle was “Do the right thing” I believe the current CEO is still Helen Johnson-Leipold. The business is still family run.

I have had great success using this system both as a consumer and as a retailer.

Stephen Barber
(grampa) - MLife

Locale: SoCal
re: Try this. on 10/10/2013 21:36:25 MDT Print View

That is excellent advice, Jim!

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: Called Jetboil this morning on 10/10/2013 21:47:37 MDT Print View

Hi Kaleb

> I told her that it was not fair that they kept my titanium cup and I expected a
> replacement or my cup back,

You do know that what has happened here is actually theft?

The cup IS your property, and Jetboil has taken it from you and kept it. I believe you can file a complaint with the appropriate government department about this which could lead to a prosecution. Someone else can tell you which gov't dept is the right one. (Good luck finding staff there for the next week or two, but the principle stands.)

I suggest you get the name of the gov't dept and then contact Jetboil. Tell them you will be filing a legal claim if the cup or a replacement is not returned within (say) 4 days. You could also contact Johnson (the parent company) and notify them.

Cheers

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Bad experience with Jetboil on 10/10/2013 22:06:52 MDT Print View

Also, you want to go re-read the fine print in the original Return Authorization. If the company has that well-written, you may not be able to claim very much. If the company is really reputable, then they may take care of your claim, at least to the point of returning your damaged part.

--B.G.--

Jeffrey Wong
(kayak4water) - MLife

Locale: Pacific NW
Small Claims court on 10/11/2013 00:02:37 MDT Print View

KC,

Roger has the right idea on your JB.

Don't forget small claims court, where you can get a judgment in your favor just by the defendant not showing up.

That said, if you can't take a corporation to small claims court, maybe the state can be your heavy, as Roger suggests.

It seems that this is more about the principle than the money now, because in the big scheme of things, that is, your life, $200 really isn't much. It's not even a month's worth cigarettes to a pack-a-day smoker. Make them get on their knees!

Cheers.

from a user of:
1. Cat alcohol stove
2. Snow Peak giga power
3. Svea 123

Larry De La Briandais
(Hitech) - F

Locale: SF Bay Area
return authorization on 10/11/2013 10:36:50 MDT Print View

Just because they put something in writing in the RA and state that by returning it you agree to abide by it doesn't make it enforceable. You can't sign away your rights. I cannot tell you what is or is not enforceable, but I would not believe they can keep it regardless of what is in the RA. I would agree with Roger that it is theft.

Edited by Hitech on 10/11/2013 14:38:01 MDT.