Forum Index » General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Backpacking in Hunting Season

Display Avatars Sort By:
Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Locale: A very flat place (Grrrrrrrr)
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Backpacking in Hunting Season on 10/13/2013 13:05:12 MDT Print View

Yep, we could of thrown logs on top of them :-)

Dean F.
(acrosome) - MLife

Locale: Back in the Front Range
Re: Re: Re: Backpacking in Hunting Season on 10/14/2013 08:52:26 MDT Print View

@ "I agree with you about the hikers too."

Wow, Tim, I can't decide if you either:

1) Have a good sense of humor,
2) Are so clueless that you didn't get my point at all,
3) Are immune to sarcasm, or
4) Turned that back on me like a master.

I am left speechless, and bow before your clearly superior skillz. Bravo.

Edited by acrosome on 10/14/2013 08:53:04 MDT.

Eric Blumensaadt
(Danepacker) - MLife

Locale: Mojave Desert
Bah! Humbug! on 10/14/2013 14:53:39 MDT Print View

Damn hikers! Dean has it right,

all they do is:
wear trails into ruts then volunteer to maintain the trails
ask for bridges across streams then donate to build them
walk around in pristine wilderness then organize to protect it
click away with their cameras then show the photos to non-hikers to get support for more parks and forests

Damn hikers!

wiiawiwb wiiawiwb
(wiiawiwb) - F
Blaze orange on 10/14/2013 15:38:43 MDT Print View

I live in cooler country so this time of year I wear a thin, neon-blaze-orange fleece vest and hat. It gives me a more comforting feeling knowing I can be seen at a distance.

Having said that, I've had three hunters come at me aggressively, yelling and screaming for "ruining their drive" by spooking game. Hello guys...I was on a marked hiking trail!

Needless to say, I did not wise off especially since I was outnumbered, unarmed and woefully outgunned.

HK Newman
(hknewman) - MLife

Locale: Western US
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Backpacking in Hunting Season on 10/14/2013 16:01:27 MDT Print View

I try to avoid it but with the parks closed, I look at each states hunting calendar to see which weeks are not designated rifle or "all firearms". Most are pretty safe but accidents happen and bullets carry. Have some mostly brilliant orange "Denver Bronco" upper layers too.

Jim Colten
(jcolten)

Locale: MN
Re: Backpacking in Hunting Season on 10/14/2013 18:20:06 MDT Print View

In MN I don't worry much about small game, bear or moose hunting seasons ... the participation and concentration levels of hunters are relatively low.

Firearm deer season is another story with upwards of 800,000 licenses sold each year. While I know a number of very responsible hunters with whom I'd trust my life there are more than enough who are clueless about safe hunting practices and way too much alcohol consumed by way too many hunting parties. Home Depot's lumber section is the closest I come to the woods for those 16 days each November.