Forum Index » GEAR » Gossamer Gear LT Poles

Display Avatars Sort By:
Billy Ray
(rosyfinch) - M

Locale: the mountains
Re: Poles on 10/20/2013 22:33:34 MDT Print View

Dan,
You wrote, "When I replaced my grips with LT4 ones I removed this mechanism, so now they work well for palming and they're lighter."

The LT4 are Gossamar Gear Poles? Can those grips be bought without buying the entire set of poles?

When you removed the mechanism does that mean you no longer have pole straps?

thanks,

Bill D.

William Chilton
(WilliamC3) - MLife

Locale: Antakya
Re: Lightest trekking poles on 10/21/2013 03:39:45 MDT Print View

Samuel, according to the ultralighoutdoorgear website, the Fizan Compact top pole has a diameter of 17mm, but I don't know if that is internal or external. If Fizan isn't responding to emails, try emailing UOG. They're usually very good at responding.

Link .
(annapurna) - MLife
Re: Re: Poles on 10/21/2013 08:02:59 MDT Print View

>The LT4 are Gossamar Gear Poles? Can those grips be bought without buying the entire set of poles? <
Trekking Pole Grips

Marc Kokosky
(mak52580) - F

Locale: Washington, DC Area
CP3s with GG grips on 10/21/2013 12:22:24 MDT Print View

I just ordered a pair of the CP3 and a set of grips with the intent of swapping them out when they get here. I'll try to take some pics and post weights, etc. once I have them set up. Not sure how long they take to get from Japan to the east coast so it could be a couple of weeks.

Samuel C. Farrington
(scfhome) - M

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA
GG LT4s on 10/21/2013 18:18:29 MDT Print View

Thanks to all who provided info here or by PM about diameters of the LT4, CP3 and Fizan Compact poles. The responses were all different, but all over 5/8" (.625") (15.875mm), so all should work, because the foam extension sleeve can expand a bit with lubrication over the pole. Actually, with a tighter fit, no adhesive is needed, as I learned from the golf pro.

Since I palm my pole much of the time, the CP3s are a problem, and don't want the hassle of replacing the grips, so the Fizans of the same weight, 5.6-5.7oz, would be better for that reason, in addition to the other reasons stated in my earlier post.

Would like to save another ounce per pole with the LT4s, but a 2 section pole won't telescope short enough to secure the awning on the tent to be used, and would need to know a lot more about the composition and durability of the carbon tubes before spending that kind of money. Had over a decade of disappointments (and wasted time and money) with carbon tube tent poles before finally finding reliable ones, so am a little sensitive on that subject.

William, Thank you for the 17mm spec on the Fizan. Tried, but could not get through to ULOG - they would not accept numerous attempts to replicate their security codes on their contact page. Hate it when merchants do that, and furnish no email address.
So will probably order the Fizans from ODGB which has been very reliable and responsive in the past.

First, though, must see if the extension sleeves on my cheapo poles can be removed intact. Yet another work in progress.

Dan Durston
(dandydan)

Locale: Cascadia
Poles on 10/21/2013 18:40:10 MDT Print View

"When you removed the mechanism does that mean you no longer have pole straps?"
I removed the straps immediately, but the plastic connector and screw that the strap attaches to are inside the grip and not removable without removing the grip. So I didn't have straps from day 1, and now I no longer have any way to put them back on either. It's great. It may be possible to buy the version of LT4 grips that is designed for strap use and then retrofit that mechanism if you want a strap.

Generally speaking, the Locus Gear grips are good for people with small hands and who don't palm the top. The LT4 grips are good for people with regular sized hands.

Billy Ray
(rosyfinch) - M

Locale: the mountains
Re: Poles on 10/21/2013 20:49:07 MDT Print View

So these Locus Gear poles... at their web site I can't see how the straps attach. Do they attach to the very top of the grip (the top that would be against your palm if you 'palm' it)?

Does anyone have a pic of the top of the Locus Gear poles showing the strap attachment?

thanks,

Bill D

Link .
(annapurna) - MLife
Re: Re: Poles on 10/22/2013 09:53:58 MDT Print View

the strap comes out the side near the top,not out of the top.

Hike Ultralight
(HikeUltralight) - M

Locale: Southeast
Re: CP3s with GG grips on 10/22/2013 14:53:37 MDT Print View

"I just ordered a pair of the CP3 and a set of grips with the intent of swapping them out when they get here. I'll try to take some pics and post weights, etc. once I have them set up. Not sure how long they take to get from Japan to the east coast so it could be a couple of weeks."

I just got mine in. They took 2 business days to arrive from Japan from acceptance in Japan to my doorstep. I also have a set of GG grips waiting to be swapped. If you get to it before me, let me know if you had any trouble/have any advice.

Samuel C. Farrington
(scfhome) - M

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA
More LT poles on 10/22/2013 23:02:13 MDT Print View

Yeesh, now see that there is the Helinox Passport Twist Lock of DAC alloy with an extension sleeve and about 5 oz weight per pole. The models have been changing lately, but on the most current, there are no ridges on the extension sleeves.
Also, one of the gear tests raises some doubts about strength and quality:

http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Trekking%20Poles/Poles/Big%20Agnes%20Causeway%20Helinox%20poles/Test%20Report%20by%20Carol%20Crooker/

This was an older model, of course, but the doubts remain, and I really like ridges on an extension sleeve - makes a world of difference for me anyway.

But will follow through on the promise to report results (on a separate thread if the GG poles are not involved). Fear the result will be up closer to 6 oz, though, about the same weight as the shorter Helinox Ridgeline, which appears to have ridges on the extension sleeve. Hmmmm, this is starting to look like a lower priority project.

Edited by scfhome on 10/22/2013 23:11:39 MDT.

Marc Kokosky
(mak52580) - F

Locale: Washington, DC Area
Re: Re: CP3s with GG grips on 10/23/2013 12:29:09 MDT Print View

Cool. You'll likely get to it before myself. I am still in Cambodia on a business trip and won't get back until Saturday. I just got an email from LG saying they shipped this morning. The grips are already waiting but I likely won't get around to them until later next week.