BPL Goes Bye Bye
Display Avatars Sort By:
Ken Helwig
(kennyhel77) - MLife

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA
BPL Goes Bye Bye on 10/08/2013 07:44:53 MDT Print View

Sooo if BPL were to cease to function at this moment. How would it impact your life. Meaning, hiking partners, hiking info, group gatherings, etc. Oh and the good ole Chaff arguments. Would you miss it or would you just roll on business as usual. Just curious as to what your emotional attatchment woyld be

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: BPL Goes Bye Bye on 10/08/2013 08:53:20 MDT Print View

why? do you have inside information?

to answer your question, life goes on...

Daryl Daryl
(lyrad1) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth
Re: BPL Goes Bye Bye on 10/08/2013 10:58:11 MDT Print View

I routinely check in here for gear info and sometimes there is humor. I would adjust and look elsewhere for the same.

The biggest thing I would miss would be the technical info that the group, collectively, has and is willing to share. I have not found that elsewhere. There are some very smart, knowledgeable and experienced people here who are willing to share what they know.

I'm glad the government shutdown didn't include BPL.

Lyan Jordan
(redmonk)

Locale: Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem
BPL Goes Bye Bye on 10/08/2013 12:08:15 MDT Print View

Work with gossamer to add a forum to their news letter ?

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Locale: PNW
Re: BPL Goes Bye Bye on 10/08/2013 12:12:29 MDT Print View

"Sooo if BPL were to cease to function at this moment. How would it impact your life."

I would sell all of my backpacking gear and find a new pastime which is supported by a website.

When I signed up as a member last year, I was in the process of overhauling all of my gear and for the most part, lived at the top of the forum in GEAR trying to sort out what equipment to buy. Now that I have my kit 90% dialed in, there's less up there that I'm interested in and have migrated down here to the bowels of BPL. The biggest attractions for me at the moment are the POST-TRIP REPORTS. There are other websites where I can do this so it wouldn't be the end of the world but I’d be sorry to see it go. I have a very codependent relationship with CHAFF so I'd miss it too.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
BPL Goes Bye Bye on 10/08/2013 12:58:43 MDT Print View

Seems like it's at 50% now. Maybe a weaning. It will end eventually.

Daryl Daryl
(lyrad1) - MLife

Re: BPL Goes Bye Bye on 10/08/2013 14:10:28 MDT Print View

You may be right, Ken. I used to hang out at Backcountry Forum and that site is about dead now.

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Locale: PNW
BPL + Trail Groove + the Trail Show? on 10/08/2013 15:52:43 MDT Print View

Let's get these three mated up under one badarse umbrella

Edit: what the heck; I think a hostile takeover of The Dirtbag Diaries would be in order too.

Edited by IDBLOOM on 10/08/2013 15:53:47 MDT.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
What BPL has done for me. A reply to Ken Helwig. on 10/08/2013 19:19:20 MDT Print View

I've been aware of BPL since the very beginning. Been a forum member since forums were added. This was while I was still living in San Diego. Moved to farNorCal in 2005. No friends, no hiking partners, an a non hiking spouse. Very introverted. The Mrs. pretty non plussed on solo overnighters for me. Pack weight down, but still too heavy.

Move forward to 2009. The first GGG. (Props to Ken H.) Finally meeting some of the people that I have interacted with for years. Awesome. Had more hikes with new partners. Now I have a group of actual friends that I would travel anywhere with. I've come partially out of my shell. Have been organizing group(gasp) hikes and the annual GGG. These changes were all made possible by this little backpacking website. My life is fuller. My pack is light. I am wiser. My family can't believe I do anything with a group.

So thanks to Alan and Ryan for posting those articles years ago. For starting a website that has put in motion a chain of events that has changed my life for the better. If I went to log on in the morning and BPL was no longer here, I would cry. Really cry. It would be like losing a friend.

I still think the way things are managed are absolutely appalling and I am embarrassed for those who should be. But hey If I can't say so who can?

Edited by kthompson on 10/09/2013 19:01:15 MDT.

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Coast
Re: What BPL has done for me. A reply to Ken Helwig. on 10/08/2013 19:28:07 MDT Print View

Beautiful heartfelt post Ken T. ; thanks for the honesty.

I found BPL through my friend Josh and went on my first trip in the Trinities where I met a few backpackers that I still enjoy hiking with today, all of them!
BPL has been informative, fun, frustrating, funny and inspiring, not necessarily in that order.
What would I do? Try and connect with my friends here and find a virtual space that we can keep in touch through.

Daryl Daryl
(lyrad1) - MLife

Re: What BPL has done for me. A reply to Ken Helwig. on 10/08/2013 19:34:06 MDT Print View

Ken,

Nice post.

I didn't mention posts like yours. It wasn't gear related and it wasn't funny but it was moving in an emotional way.

Posts like yours are another thing I would miss if BPL (particularly Chaff in this case) went away.

Ken Helwig
(kennyhel77) - MLife

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA
Re: Re: What BPL has done for me. A reply to Ken Helwig. on 10/09/2013 11:23:26 MDT Print View

One thing caused by a demise of BPL would be the loss of meeting new hiking partners. To see how large the hiking community has come together over the last six years has been amazing. Hopefully it'll continue to grow. I would miss hiking reports for ideas as well as the latest grestest info on new gear. BPL has been a wealth of info. I too, like Ken have been here since its inception and prior when Allen had his blog. .. lol when Go Lite was cutting edge. Just curious as to others feelings about it. Nice replies folks

Tim Zen
(asdzxc57) - F

Locale: MI
Re: BPL Goes Bye Bye on 10/09/2013 12:03:52 MDT Print View

Reading between the lines. So they will shut down the site and demand more money?

I guess I would just listen to the trail show instead.

John Abela
(JohnAbela) - MLife
Re: What BPL has done for me. on 10/16/2013 01:54:26 MDT Print View

>>> farNorCal

Is that we have resorted to having to call ourselves now... all because of a bunch of people in the CENTRAL part of our state are unilaterally incompetent?

>>> If I went to log on in the morning and BPL was no longer here, I would cry. Really cry.

You all should know that Ken really is telling the truth there. Whenever we get together you can just hear it in his voice that a lot of you are like family to Ken. I have no doubt a tear or two would roll down his cheek. Than a particular somebody that lives in the state of Montana had better start hiding :-D

Justin Baker
(justin_baker)

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA
Re: BPL Goes Bye Bye on 10/16/2013 14:20:54 MDT Print View

It's impossible for a forum site that charges a subscription to post to stay alive forever.

Rex Sanders
(Rex) - M

Locale: Central California Coast
What BPL is doing for me on 10/16/2013 14:32:17 MDT Print View

I've been on BPL for barely a year, and it's changing my life in unexpected ways.

BPL is helping me me lighten my load, spend more money, and go backpacking more often. I kind of expected that.

More importantly, BPL is an outlet for my writing. I tried blogging, and I thank all eight of my readers :-)

Writing the satellite communications articles (1, 2, 3) has really changed my life.

During a routine weekly meeting with my boss last spring, I casually mentioned these articles. Much to my surprise, she suggested a career change into communications, including sending me back to school.

Wow. So far, I'm enjoying my new job, and I might be a full time student next September!

I'm continuing to write for BPL, both in forum posts and articles. I enjoy the interaction with an engaged community. Writing management summaries, press releases, and web pages, isn't quite as satisfying.

So thanks to Ryan and everyone at BPL for giving a newbie writer a new career direction and a place to express myself.

-- Rex

Valerie E
(Wildtowner) - M

Locale: Grand Canyon State
Re: BPL Goes Bye Bye on 10/16/2013 15:26:23 MDT Print View

I'm still pretty new here, but I've been really impressed by the level of "community" I see -- often -- on here. People are willing to share information, knowledge, and I've seen (and participated in) random acts of generosity. In today's detached society, maybe that's more rare than one would think!

I know that, when I've asked for help (what material to use, where to find some gear, etc.), the answers have been immediate and informative. I've tried asking questions on some other sites, and the response is minimal and less than impressive.

Sure, there are some complete a**hole comments on BPL (as everywhere), and sometimes folks get waaaaaaay too personal in their attacks (immaturity), but over all, those are a tiny minority!!!! And some of the folks here make me laugh out loud -- regularly! You can't beat that.

I haven't tried meeting up with anyone from BPL for hiking -- yet. But maybe I should...

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: Re: BPL Goes Bye Bye on 10/16/2013 16:03:02 MDT Print View

"Sure, there are some complete a**hole comments on BPL (as everywhere), and sometimes folks get waaaaaaay too personal in their attacks (immaturity)..."

If you post anything on the internets, you have to expect to get some flaming trollish comments from people. That's just how it is. I think if bad behavior is ignored, it will be minimized.

I have to agree with Ken some though, Ryan is so busy doing interesting things that he isn't very responsive. And the minimal membership fee isn't enough to hire more help.

Mark Ries
(mtmnmark) - M

Locale: IOWAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!
Re: Re: Re: BPL Goes Bye Bye on 10/17/2013 09:26:09 MDT Print View

I would have a lot more time on my hands. Then I would start a twelve step program for us hmmm... maybe we need it now. BPLA oh and BPL a non for your families

Laurie Ann March
(Laurie_Ann) - F

Locale: Ontario, Canada
bye bye on 10/25/2013 16:00:43 MDT Print View

I come and go in waves depending on what else is going on in my life... I am connected, in other ways, with some of the members here so I don't really miss it.