Looking for: Long-Term Durability of the BA Fly Creek UL1
Display Avatars Sort By:
Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
Re: I can see it now! on 10/10/2013 08:06:21 MDT Print View

Did you use all the available pegs? Was there a lot of sag to the fly?

You could always hold your breath...;)

Max Dilthey
(mdilthey) - M

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com
A Better Description on 10/10/2013 08:15:21 MDT Print View

I used 6 stakes. I put 2 to stake out the vestibule, 2 to stake out the corners near my feet, and 2 to stake out the sides of the fly.

Using those 6 stakes, I was moisture-free all night and woke up with a dry sleeping bag. While trying to put on pants, I did get a little bit of condensation dripping through as the fly touched the net.

Then, I got out of my tent and removed the stakes from the ground, and the fly touched the net everywhere, and the netting picked up all the water. I took the fly to my porch to dry and I left the net tent in the backyard to dry.

But don't misinterpret this as a critique. I've done enough winter camping to know how condensation forms in a tent, and it got down to the 30's last night. I'm thrilled with the tent; I think it's great.

I also want three more stakes, but MSR Mini Groundhogs come in packs of 6... so I'll do it later.

jeffrey armbruster
(book) - M

Locale: Northern California
Long-Term Durability of the BA Fly Creek on 10/10/2013 09:45:26 MDT Print View

Yeah stake it out at all points, including the sides. This tent wants to breathe! This will help with condensation. Also: I unzip a portion of the TOP of the fly (warm air rises) and then of course zip up the netting. On rainless nights you can unzip quite a bit, and this helps with circulation.