Forum Index » Hiking Partners / Group Trip Announcements » 3rd Annual BPL Spring Run -Zion Training Thread

Display Avatars Sort By:
Jacob D
(JacobD) - F

Locale: North Bay
Re: Black Canyon 100k on 02/24/2014 11:25:59 MST Print View

Damn Eugene, way to handle it. I think I would have died in the heat, much less covering the distance. I laughed at your fueling comment, but you must be doing something right since you completed the thing while passing peeps near the end. Hats off to you.

Sounds like my training falls in the "I'll mostly be under prepared" category. Oh well. It is what it is. I've been hitting shorter runs (~15 miles ish) with lots of up and down, but nothing much longer. Last week I was able to get out for about 30 miles of hike/snowshoe involving a couple of serious climbs and descents, so just trying to build on where I'm at and see where that will get me.

I guess now I need to pop over to the other thread and see where logistics are at. I'm still totally confused...

Art ...
(asandh) - F
Re: Re: Black Canyon 100k on 02/24/2014 11:40:39 MST Print View

Jacob - you should do fine come Zion Day.

logistics are starting to come together (other thread).

if you haven't taken a good look at Skurka's info and maps it would be a good time to start.

Adan Lopez
(Lopez) - F

Locale: San Gabriel Valley
Zion Training on 02/24/2014 12:22:04 MST Print View

Eugene, super impressed by this one man. Youre killing it lately and this one must have felt like a huge step up for you. Very inspiring stuff.

Greg, as always, youre an animal. Awesome training youre doing.

As for me, training has not been a priority. I ramped up pretty good and hit the new year with a perfect base for increasing mileage in January up to R2R2R levels again. Then, things with my daughter and with my home took over for a while and I'm just now emerging and starting to think about the mountains again.

Craig and I talked this week, at this point we are planning to go out there and join you guys either way. So I'm looking forward to that big time. I'm not setting any goals for myself other than showing up and doing a long hike. It will be good to see everyone again.

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

Locale: Montana
Re: Re: A humbling day on 02/24/2014 19:14:42 MST Print View

Greg- impressive distance, impressive elevation- all under less than ideal conditions- you'll be good to go :)

I had another ho hum week (that's two in a row)- we're entering the Third Ice Age in Montana I'm afraid. Got three snowshoe "runs" in of ~ 6 miles each, the last one was really brutal as I was breaking the entire route (deep powder), got two treadmill sessions of 5 miles each. We just got a little over a foot of new snow and temps are in the single digits, sooooo... looks like I'll be on my third ho hum week :(

Art ...
(asandh) - F
Re: Re: Re: A humbling day on 02/25/2014 07:28:09 MST Print View

Adan - we can always use another beer guard, glad to hear you'll be there.

I did 24 on Sunday, that's the 6th straight weekend with a long run of at least 22.
But I'm still really slow. Jeri, the woman who's training for the 200 miler, has started doing 1/4 mile out and backs during our long runs to while away the time while I'm plodding along. She'll run ahead then run back, so she gets in a couple more miles by the end of our long run.

for those who are interested, here is that 200 miler.
much of the course is on the Tahoe Rim Trail.

Tahoe 200

-----

Edited by asandh on 02/25/2014 07:36:49 MST.

Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
Zion on 02/28/2014 08:44:50 MST Print View

Eugene, you're killing it out there. Seems like it's been a good season for you.

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

weak sauce week on 03/02/2014 17:51:37 MST Print View

another weak week, hampered by below 0 temps and 2'+ of snow, it's been treadmill all week- 5.5/5.5 miles Tues/Wed, 11 miles Sat and 4.5 today

we're supposed to be above freezing tomorrow (the weather man has been wrong on every warming trend the last month), so I might be able to get the snowshoes or skis out this week

Art ...
(asandh) - F
Re: weak sauce week on 03/02/2014 22:08:45 MST Print View

Mike - you need to relocate to the southwest.

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

southwest on 03/03/2014 07:21:31 MST Print View

^ agreed!

Jacob D
(JacobD) - F

Locale: North Bay
Re: southwest on 03/04/2014 10:39:46 MST Print View

^ Yeah I'm a little nervous about the year when Mike invites us his way to do the "Spring Run" in some frigid conditions. Southwest relocation sounds like a good plan Mike :)

Well, after reviewing some pack suggestions from Art and Mike I decided to ignore them both and go my own way. I ended up picking up one of the new UD Peter Bakwin vests since I was somewhat familiar with the fit already and time is getting short. Took it out for an 8 mile jaunt over some local hills yesterday, loaded up with 2.5 liters of water, camera, and some other gear to add some weight. The fit felt pretty good, I like the V2 design with the added adjustment. I just need to get it dialed in now. The legs felt that additional weight tho - especially on the climbs which I had to mostly revert to hiking up.

I'm training on ground that's got an overall incline as steep or steeper than Zion, but I just don't have time to get the distances in that I really want/need to. Hoping it will be enough to enable me to run alongside the back of the pack runners...

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

pack on 03/04/2014 17:59:18 MST Print View

Jacob- look forward to seeing the pack. Osprey has come out w/ a new series (Rev) that looks pretty promising- not that I don't already have enough packs mind you :)

Mike

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

better week on 03/09/2014 14:54:11 MDT Print View

I ran Tues and Wed on pavement! It's a 1.3 mile path around a park that they plow- got 4 laps in each day. I don't like running on pavement, but the alternative was the treadmill. Saturday went out to the mountains w/ snowshoes on my back and microspikes in my pack. Got to use both on what turned out to be a two hour, 6 mile grind. Today I wanted (needed) to get some miles in, so we decided to run on some gravel roads (that are plowed!)- ended up w/ just shy of 19 miles and over 3000' of elevation gain. Longest run in a month or two (maybe more???). There was one stretch (to connect two roads) that required some major post holing for ~ 3/4 mile- that was tough.

Anywho a much better week than the previous several.

Mike

Art ...
(asandh) - F
Re: better week on 03/09/2014 18:31:36 MDT Print View

well, just bring your snowshoes to Zion Mike, so you can be comfortable on the trail ...

I ordered a pair of N2's today, going to give them a workout for a while.

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

snowshoes on 03/10/2014 07:26:08 MDT Print View

hopefully I won't need them :) as it gets a little closer I plan on talking to the Park Service to get an idea on the conditions of the trail- I know they can sometimes get some lingering snow/ice into April

good chance I'll pack my microspikes

let me know what you think of the N2's- they're working well for me

Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
"Progress" on 03/10/2014 08:43:33 MDT Print View

Well, I'm surfing and diving better than ever....but running: not so much. Logging the miles just isn't speaking to me these days.

Nothing but hill repeats and faster tempo 5Ks or less as part of general workouts/conditioning. All of my "training" has been crossfit sort of routines or time spent spent in the water.

I'm now questioning whether or not I even want to speed hike the traverse.

But I'll be there either way. I'm actually now leaning towards skipping the ultra and doing a canyon or two while I'm out there instead. I can also help with logistics on the morning of the run.

Still looking forward to getting out there either way.

Do we have a headcount on this? Many people seem to have gone silent....

Art ...
(asandh) - F
Re: "Progress" on 03/10/2014 09:14:55 MDT Print View

Myself and John V. are still in.
still going for the full traverse.

Zion is beautiful no matter how you choose to experience it.

So ... we need to find a new designated sweeper ?

Edited by asandh on 03/10/2014 09:16:10 MDT.

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

Re: Re: "Progress" on 03/10/2014 17:59:46 MDT Print View

No official head count, but looks like the "for sures" are: you and Adan, Craig and John, Eugene (maybe a buddy?), Jacob (maybe a buddy?)- I'll be coming from MT, as well as Grant (and his wife).

Feel free to pipe in if you're not mentioned, the reservation is for up to 30 I believe- we so have plenty of room :)

Hiking Malto
(gg-man) - F
Me, me on 03/10/2014 20:02:07 MDT Print View

I have the flight booked. May be hanging in the rear with Craig, I am doing a pretty aggressive trip in the days after Zion so I can't give it 100%. Either way, stoked about the trip.

Just saw Craig's comment above, guess I will be alone in the rear.

Edited by gg-man on 03/10/2014 20:03:39 MDT.

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

Re: Me, me on 03/10/2014 20:14:01 MDT Print View

sorry Greg- I knew you were coming

I'm sure there will be very good company in the rear- I'm pretty sure that's where I'll be hanging!

Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
Me, me on 03/10/2014 20:26:16 MDT Print View

Sorry again for backing out of the run guys, just being up front as soon as I can. Surfing won again. I pulled it off in Joshua Tree but I'm more skeptical going into Zion without more time on my feet in training.

I'm thinking I'll likely bring rope and gear and do a short canyon or two while you guys are out.