3rd Annual BPL Spring Run -Zion Training Thread
Display Avatars Sort By:
Hiking Malto
(gg-man) - F
I'm green with envy on 12/15/2013 20:13:32 MST Print View

Pretty much holed up here in PA with the snow. Had some knee issues with both knees over the last couple of weeks, likely overtraining a bit. Easing back in and pushing to pain threshold. Will update training soon.

Mike, I would love to have your training ground.

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

Locale: Montana
out & back on 12/16/2013 07:24:39 MST Print View

Eugene- yes it was an out and back, there are several opportunities for loops, but I wanted to hit the second ridge from both sides. It's a really neat trail that was just recently acquired- we're very fortunate w/ the miles of trails so close by

Regarding fueling-I've found over the last year that I might have been over doing it a bit. I cut my Perpetuem mix in half and haven't suffered any nausea since (knock on wood). I've also cut back my blocks and bars a bit- averaging about 250 cal/hr total vs about 350 cal/hr previously

Craig- sounds like a good week :)

Greg- looking at your last weeks volume, I don't think a little down time will hurt!

Art ...
(asandh) - F
Real Mountain Training on 12/16/2013 07:31:59 MST Print View

I need to start bringing a camera like you guys (no I don't run with a phone).
Could have posted some pics of what Real mountain running is. I crawled under, over, and thru more downed trees, on Saturday's 22 miler, than on any run I have ever done. Apparently there was a recent wind storm in our local mountains that knocked over quite a few ... mostly dead from a fire a decade ago.
needless to say, we didn't set any speed records.

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

Re: Real Mountain Training on 12/16/2013 17:30:30 MST Print View

blowdown makes for a really tough go (unless you're a hurdler :) ); I remember hiking through the Gila in some really heavy blowdown- it made for a very sloooooow go- Eugene knows where I'm talking about

Hiking Malto
(gg-man) - F
Great trail run on 12/16/2013 19:09:34 MST Print View

I just finished one of my favorite trail runs ever. It wasn't the longest, fastest or even in the coolest area. I headed out to the AT, about a half hour from my house. I arrived at 6:30 and started the 4 mile run. The cool part was that it was twenty degree, there was several inches of snow on the ground and a very bright full moon. I ended up running it without even using a headlamp. There was something so incredibly about the peace and the absolute feel that I was alive.

Adan Lopez
(Lopez) - F

Locale: San Gabriel Valley
moonlight running on 12/17/2013 16:19:02 MST Print View

Yes! Greg, thats awesome, man. those kinds of runs are what keeps me going. Sometimes, things just click, the moon is right, the wind is right, and i cant stop smiling the whole way. Thanks for reminding me man!

I tried climbing Baldy at night several weeks back during our first snow of the year. No headlamp, solo, and snow covering large portions of the trail. That was the best hiking I've done in a while. Stumbled and slipped the whole way, but the energy, adventure and just aliveness was palpable. love it.

Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

Locale: Nuevo Mexico
Re: Great trail run on 12/17/2013 22:15:11 MST Print View

There is something about saying "f@%k it" and throwing caution to the wind, and heading out for a run, completely engaged in the present, without distraction. I appreciate those runs above all. Adan nailed it in describing the palpability of energy and that sense of "aliveness" we can experience. You know when you're taking part in the unfolding of something really awesome.

Thanks for sharing the stoke Greg, it's contagious.

Mike Schasch
(MSchasch) - F
zion on 12/19/2013 23:26:30 MST Print View

Hey there, cool thread. I've been looking to do trans zion for a while (I live, run, work in Zion). Is this a pre-determined group of folks? Like, are you guys ok with having more join in? What month is this going down? Everyone running their own pace or trying to stick together?

I've got about a years worth of running experience and many years of suffering in the wilderness in various capacities. Running my first race in Feb (moab 55k).

Here is a West Rim running picture from October:
West Rim Zion

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

Zion on 12/20/2013 06:46:20 MST Print View

Mike- details here:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=81998

Mike

Edited by mtwarden on 12/20/2013 06:46:57 MST.

Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

Re: zion on 12/20/2013 10:17:10 MST Print View

Mike,

That photo of yours is excellent. What area are you overlooking?

Definitely refer to the other thread Mike linked that has more trip details. Things may seem fluid at the moment but trip plans and logistics will firm up as we get closer.

Feel free to share any progress on training in this thread. This thread has become part support group and source of inspiration.

Art ...
(asandh) - F
Re: zion on 12/20/2013 10:53:05 MST Print View

Mike S - I'm sure there is room for you to join in.

Moab 55K is a classic race.

Mike Schasch
(MSchasch) - F
zion on 12/20/2013 11:03:38 MST Print View

Thanks for the info! I think you guys have it right running west to east. You will end with a nice gradual 1000 feet of descent, rather than 1000 foot climb.

That pic was from the West Rim overlooking Phantom Valley - a beautiful and hard to access area. Hope that didn't spoil one of the surprises.

Going on a long run right now!

Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
Re: Real Mountain Training on 12/23/2013 16:05:21 MST Print View

This Saturday Adan and I "ran" Baden-Powell (9,407'), taking a roughly 10 mile (RT), 2,500' gain route to the summit....only it turned into a 6 hour postholing festival.
A great day out there nonetheless.
A few more pics here:
Sweeping the Garden: Mt. Baden-Powell

Last night my daughter was sick...After the third time I cleaned vomit covered sheets and showered her, it was 3:50AM and I hadn't slept at all. I packed a quick bag and stole out the door to climb Mt. Baldy (10,064'). ~10 miles RT and ~4,500 feet of gain, microspikes needed for about 1 mile of it. I summited in 1'50", was back at the car in 3'07".

A good last few days in the mountains for me...

Edited by xnomanx on 12/23/2013 16:14:01 MST.

Art ...
(asandh) - F
Re: Re: Real Mountain Training on 12/23/2013 16:45:55 MST Print View

Now that looks and sounds like like Real Fun !

sorry about your daughter, but you seemed to be taking care of business there too.

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Real Mountain Training on 12/23/2013 18:15:50 MST Print View

Craig- looks and sounds like a couple of good grinds! My week was so-so, got two 6 mile runs in mid-week, headed out for a 20 miler on Saturday and got blown off the ridge (it was dead calm when I left the house)- I ended up eeking 11 miles out of it. I was going to shoot for another 10 or so on Sunday, but I could feel a cold coming on so I dropped that plan- still in the battle of fighting it, but I might be winning-went out for a quick 6 miles this evening.

Heck of a storm rolling in w/ the wind, but then I saw the lucky horseshoe and knew I was alright :)

Merry Christmas everyone!

photo impendingstorm_zpsc51623b6.jpg

photo luckyhorseshoe_zpsb9874c89.jpg

Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

This week in running... on 12/27/2013 20:50:43 MST Print View

Slacked a bit this week and haven't run since this past Monday. I've been enjoying tamales, beer, and family. I also turned 30 on Tuesday, which I hear is some kind of milestone.

Last Sunday I linked up a route that I've been wanting to do for a while, which turned out to be a killer run with a fair bit of climbing and powerhiking the steep stuff. I was on my feet for 5 hrs., and felt a little toasted on my short recovery run on Monday, so a successful long run for the weekend. We had a small low front blow through that Saturday, so it was brisk in the dawn as I headed out by headlamp for the trailhead. The views were great and we could see about 90 miles to our NW the Black Range along the CDT, capped with a dusting of fresh pow.

first light

fillmore

scramble

stack

sanatorium

ridge

west

trailroc

Tomorrow I'm heading to Dog Canyon at Oliver Lee SP to run up to the National Solar Observatory in Sunspot, NM, about 4,800' of vertical up to the turnaround.

Art ...
(asandh) - F
Re: This week in running... on 12/28/2013 09:23:16 MST Print View

Looks like you're starting to ramp up the Adventure Eugene.

Did you say 30 ?
by Catra's rule you're supposed to do a 30 hour run ...

Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
Re: This week in running... on 12/28/2013 10:19:03 MST Print View

Happy birthday Eugene.

I especially like the 5th picture down. Surreal.

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

Re: Re: This week in running... on 12/29/2013 16:50:38 MST Print View

Eugene- Happy Birthday (mine is today :)) not the best week training for me, got a 6 mile run in Monday and then either suffered through the flu or the worst cold I've ever had all through the holiday week; felt better today and got another 6 in for a grand total of 12 for the week.

I do get Wed off and will do the traditional new year in miles run, so 14- just need to pick out a fun route.

Looks like I will hit ~ 1700 miles for the year, that's about 200 more than 2012- all in all, a good year!

Mike

Hiking Malto
(gg-man) - F
A great test on 12/29/2013 17:41:17 MST Print View

It haven't ran/walked/hiked a 40 miler since April in preparation for the Bob open. I had had a couple of low to mid 30s over the last couple of months but my focus has been more on my treadmill routines and overall fitness. It was time to test out the effectiveness of this training. Friday I headed up to New York for a fast hike of the Harriman/Bear Mountain section of the AT. After hiking in 10 miles I was asleep by 6pm in preparation for my 4am wake up.

My early start had me hiking 3 hours in the dark. I had a serious navigation error but it worked out well and I was able to see a remote part of the park and still get in the target miles. It was an incredible hiking day. Cool but pleasant, ground frost crunching under my feet. In the distance I was able to make out the NY skyline, both in the dark and later in the day. This section of trail while not remote had much to offer. I walked through a zoo and across the Bear Mountain bridge to Anthony's Nose where this picture was taken.
Bear Bridge

the landscape was hills and lakes.
Harriman

I am guessing that there was 8-9000' of elevation gain. I ran very little, focusing instead of maintaining a fast hiking pace as long as possible and I was strong for the whole 40 miles. I raced the setting sun but the sun won. But I was not a loser in this game. My reward was another beautiful sunset and the final half hour of night hiking in the cool evening air. I ended up maintaining a 3 mph pace including breaks which is a bit slow for this kind of day but this will improve as I increase the ratio of running to hiking.
Lemon squeezer

This was a solid day and confirms that my treadmill routines have succeeded in getting me in much better shape. I am a couple of months ahead of previous years' fitness levels for my spring events. I am hoping to recover quickly. I have two more 40 mile day needed to complete the NY AT twice. Maybe later this week.

Happy Birthday Eugene and please all of you keep the pictures coming. I miss the west.