Forum Index » Hiking Partners / Group Trip Announcements » 3rd Annual BPL Spring Run -Zion Training Thread

Display Avatars Sort By:
Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

Locale: Montana
Re: Me, me on 03/11/2014 07:21:55 MDT Print View

that'll work- the run is secondary imo, the camaraderie number one :)

Art ...
(asandh) - F
Re: Re: Me, me on 03/11/2014 07:32:18 MDT Print View

looks like with as few as 7-8 at the starting line I'll have a good shot at my first ever top 10 finish.

Edited by asandh on 03/11/2014 09:44:14 MDT.

Jacob D
(JacobD) - F

Locale: North Bay
Mee too on 03/11/2014 12:31:17 MDT Print View

I'll be there. Flying solo but riding up with Art and John from Vegas (thanks again guys!!). I'm really pumped and ready to roll! Sounds like I'll have some company at the back.

I just hiked with David Wage and he is not going to make it (he has no computer at the moment so I'm responding for him).

Craig, sorry to hear you're not going to do the traverse. Surfing and diving does sound like a lot of fun though, can't say I could blame you. Sounds like you're still making the trip though, and Adan too?

Hiking Malto
(gg-man) - F
Re: Re: Me, me on 03/11/2014 18:27:56 MDT Print View

"that'll work- the run is secondary imo, the camaraderie number one :)"

Was about to say this myself. Really looking forward to meeting up with everyone again.

David Thomas
(DavidinKenai) - MLife

Locale: North Woods. Far North.
Re: Re: Re: Me, me on 03/11/2014 22:39:43 MDT Print View

Yeah, wish I could swing it and see you all again. But having been in Zion with my wife for V-day and there again tomorrow with my daughter, it would be pushing it to return solo in 2 weeks.

Art ...
(asandh) - F
Zion Snow on 03/12/2014 07:23:21 MDT Print View

David - sorry you won't be joining us.
could possibly try and get a read on the high country snow when you are there.
thanks.

Adan Lopez
(Lopez) - F

Locale: San Gabriel Valley
Zion still a go on 03/12/2014 10:01:05 MDT Print View

Jacob,
Im still a go for Zion. Excited to see everyone. Excited to see the place again. May not be in shape to partake in the run with you guys, but I'm gonna be the best damn drunk and hairy cheerleader ever.

Adan Lopez
(Lopez) - F

Locale: San Gabriel Valley
zion on 03/12/2014 10:05:01 MDT Print View

excited to be planning some canyon explorations with Craig too. Is everyone planning on arriving the day prior and leaving the morning after again? I would like to be in camp when most of you will be hanging out.

Art ...
(asandh) - F
Re: zion on 03/12/2014 11:49:24 MDT Print View

Adan - myself, John V. and Jacob will be arriving late Thursday night (10pm ?).
we need to leave 9:00am Sunday to get Jacob back to the airport.

spend Friday enjoying the park with friends and finalizing logistics.

what about everyone else ?

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

zion on 03/12/2014 18:31:00 MDT Print View

I'll be there Thursday late afternoon (guess)- will be leaving probably Sun evening (possibly early Mon morn)

we should have all Friday to "play"- I suggest we take in Angels Landing sometime Friday

Hiking Malto
(gg-man) - F
Travel plans on 03/12/2014 19:19:56 MDT Print View

My flight gets into Vegas at 10am Friday. I will be driving to Zion direct.

David Thomas
(DavidinKenai) - MLife

Locale: North Woods. Far North.
Re: Zion Snow on 03/19/2014 01:18:04 MDT Print View

>"could possibly try and get a read on the high country snow when you are there.
thanks."

Art, I posted on the other (logistics?) thread when I got back. Going up to Angel's Landing, there was no snow, no ice, no sign of snow or ice anywhere up to the top (5700 elevation) nor could I see any in the backcountry.

Virgin River flow was pretty low in Zion Narrows 55-60 cfs and cold, maybe 45F. Air temps were low 60s most days, clear nights left the mornings at 36F. Cloud cover before our hike left it 48 at Zion Lodge, about 46F on top but blowing 20, gusting 30 on top.mg src="/backpackinglight/user_uploads/1395213416_101177.jpg" alt="sign" width="550" height="736">on topZion Narrows

Art ...
(asandh) - F
Re: Re: Zion Snow on 03/19/2014 07:22:13 MDT Print View

David - thanks for weather update.

nice photos.

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

injured reserve list on 03/22/2014 11:40:01 MDT Print View

Dave- nice pics! :)

I spent the last week in GA at the Federal Law Enforcement Training Center (FLETC)- got a few 5-6 mile runs in, Wed. I found a route that was about 8 miles- about half way into this route I felt a little slight burn in my achilles area, pulled back the pace, still burned so I walked- the pain shifted (and intensified) into my heel. It was bad enough that I had to limp back to the dorm. The next morning it was bad enough that I couldn't put any weight on it at all- this was the day I flew out and was forced to limp around three different airports. Yesterday went into the doc and the took an x-ray, nothing showed up, but they said a stress fracture in the foot rarely does until a couple of weeks later after the bone starts to stitch itself.

So...... I'm resting, icing and taking NSAIDs- hopefully I see some improvement soon. The upside is I'm getting to watch every NCAA game :)

Mike

Hiking Malto
(gg-man) - F
Re: injured reserve list on 03/22/2014 12:43:35 MDT Print View

Good luck on the recovery. Sometimes injury go away as quick as they come. Hope that is the case for you.

Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
Re: Re: injured reserve list on 03/22/2014 13:44:58 MDT Print View

Hope this works itself out Mike.

Art ...
(asandh) - F
Re: injured reserve list on 03/22/2014 18:24:15 MDT Print View

Mike - I fought achilles pain for 2 years, probably because I would not stop running.
I finished a couple 50 milers and could not walk for 2 days after, but a week later could run again.

yes ice,
also, if you can stretch your ""upper"" calf muscle by standing and leaning against the wall. often calf tension will lead to Achilles issues, and this stretch has helped me out a lot, the pain was in my heal but working the calf muscle with stretching and massage is what helped the most.

if you exercise, warm up well, and don't sprint for a while.
my guess is that nice Georgia weather got you all exited about running and you pushed the pace a bit, much different than snow shoeing.

... this is assuming its just a tendon problem and not a stress fracture.

Edited by asandh on 03/23/2014 09:51:47 MDT.

Art ...
(asandh) - F
Eugene ? on 03/23/2014 09:38:00 MDT Print View

on another note ...

anyone heard from Eugene lately ?

Jacob D
(JacobD) - F

Locale: North Bay
Re: injured reserve list on 03/23/2014 12:46:53 MDT Print View

Mike, Sorry to hear that. Feel better soon.

I'm battling some sort of muscle injury the last week and a half. Of all things I think I pulled something in my calf messing around with my kids at the park. I have not attempted to run on it, just resting up now.

Art, I have not heard from Eugene. I sent him a msg bout a week or two ago with no response. I'm friends with him on FB; I get the sense he's been super busy with races lately.

Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
Injured reserve list on 03/27/2014 13:05:31 MDT Print View

How are the injuries coming along guys?