Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
3rd Annual BPL Spring Run -Zion Training Thread
Display Avatars Sort By:
Adan Lopez
(Lopez) - F

Locale: San Gabriel Valley
Surfing on 12/06/2013 21:28:36 MST Print View

Dammit Wisner! Will you stop screwing around in that damn water and get out here, we got real work to do!! There's snow in the hills and the trails are wiped out and mountains all crystallized and shit, you damn hippie!!

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

Locale: Montana
weak week :) on 12/09/2013 07:35:09 MST Print View

with temps at or below 0 every day last week, I was forced on the treadmill and didn't log too many miles- there clearly are some different mechanics running on a treadmill, it feels "funny", also I found myself more sore than normal

week went: strength/5.5/6/0/strength/0/9- total 20.5 miles, maybe my lowest week of the year???

Art ...
(asandh) - F
Re: weak week :) on 12/09/2013 09:07:02 MST Print View

I get nausea (motion sickness) whenever I try to run on a tread mill, fortunately I don't have to ... although we did get down to a frigid 55* yesterday, a big cold spell.

hit 37 miles last week with a semi long run of 16.
still trying to figure out my hip/groin injury and hoping a bunch of ab work and stretch therapy will do it, we'll see.

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest/Sierra
Re: weak week :) on 12/09/2013 16:46:51 MST Print View

"there clearly are some different mechanics running on a treadmill, it feels "funny","

Yes. On a treadmill your stride is exerting force in the same direction the belt is moving, which makes it real easy to exaggerate your back kick, which in turn makes it easy to hyperextend your back. Best to shorten your stride and watch your back kick if you are going to use the tread mill. Back in the day, I tried a couple of sessions on a tread mill and could immediately feel the effect on my back, so I gave it up and used the step mill instead in really bad weather.

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

Re: Re: weak week :) on 12/09/2013 17:35:08 MST Print View

Art- good week, hope the healing is quick!

Tom-that makes sense; unfortunately this gym doesn't have a good old fashion stair machine- my old gym did and it was a very good workout!

Edited by mtwarden on 12/09/2013 17:36:11 MST.

Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

Locale: Nuevo Mexico
Re: Re: Re: weak week :) on 12/09/2013 22:41:59 MST Print View

What I lacked in volume this week I kinda made up for in quality. Saturday's run brought a big smile to my face- the clouds put on a show in the range as a cold front blew through our area . Got in some decent vertical and kept the effort high on this run. The crux of this route finishes with a nearly 1000' climb in about 3/4 of a mile, with very few switchbacks, so it's a lung buster and I have to throttle back (*full on powerhike) to avoid going completely anaerobic. This will be my "bread and butter" training route on climb days in preparation for the big hike out of Zion canyon.

face

mist

ridgeline

cactifrozen

inversion

Forgive the gratuitous photo dumping on my end, but run photographs motivate me more than stats!

David W.
(Davidpcvsamoa) - MLife

Locale: East Bay, CA
Re: Re: weak week :) on 12/09/2013 22:49:07 MST Print View

No forgiveness necessary. Beautiful training grounds and nice photos!

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

pics on 12/10/2013 07:13:57 MST Print View

Eugene- very nice! Sounds (and looks) like a dandy training ground.

Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

Re: pics on 12/10/2013 09:25:26 MST Print View

Thanks Mike. We don't have the greatest organized trail system here, but proximity to the trails from my door is hard to beat and there are never crowds. You definitely have to work for the runs and get creative with the trails around here, but it's worth it.

Climbing Magazine just recently did a spotlight on my area, specifically the Organ Mtns where I do my longer runs.

http://www.climbing.com/route/230229/

Anyways, I'm teetering on the edge of thread drift. Happy running this week folks.

Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
Re: Re: pics on 12/10/2013 09:50:48 MST Print View

Nice pics Eugene.

Art ...
(asandh) - F
Re: Re: Re: pics on 12/10/2013 10:53:33 MST Print View

now if someone was good with Photoshop they could combine Eugene's great mountain photos with Craig's great ocean photos and make the ultimate experience ...

Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

Re: 3rd Annual BPL Spring Run -Zion Training Thread on 12/12/2013 18:49:24 MST Print View

It's nice and quiet in our little thread, which is a good sign.

My week has been going alright, just consistent running. Haven't missed a day this week. I only had 30 minutes today to fit in a run, so I decided to run a short tempo, got in 5K at 21:33. I know at Zion my pace will at least double, not that pace matters much there, but it's good to break out of the usual training routine and work the legs and lungs differently.

The weekend is ahead, what are you guys cooking up? Any long runs planned?

I'm shooting for a 3-4hr. run with a friend on Sunday morning if nothing comes up with the familia.

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

weekend on 12/12/2013 21:30:27 MST Print View

we're finally enjoying some close to normal weather- so I'm off of the treadmill! the snow we have is just about perfect, not too much to hinder running a lot and enough to provide some nice cushioning I'm hoping to get in a nice 15-18 mile run, with the elevation and snow, probably 3.5-4 ish hours

Art ...
(asandh) - F
Re: weekend on 12/13/2013 09:09:44 MST Print View

I'll be doing a 22-24 miler on Saturday, in our local mountains (Laguna Mts.)
my first 20 miler in almost 3 months.
elevation tops out at around 6,000 ft. and usually one week a year there is enough snow so I can cross country ski, but no snow right now,
will take it nice and slow so as not to aggravate any injuries (hopefully).
I'll be running with John, he's hinting the mileage may be too short for him and he may stay out there for more, so its a 2 car day.

Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
Re: Re: 3rd Annual BPL Spring Run -Zion Training Thread on 12/13/2013 09:13:13 MST Print View

I'm doing an overnight tonight, no big miles though, more of a whiskey-by-the-fire, yelling-poems-at-the-sky sort of affair.
Hope to run about 3 hours in my canyons on Sunday morning.

Jacob D
(JacobD) - F

Locale: North Bay
Re: pics on 12/13/2013 11:57:24 MST Print View

Great photos on the thread guys. Wish I had something to contribute but for now I'm just using it for motivation.

My training has been more like slapping up drywall, dragging junk around, shit like that. Rock Balboa style... or not. I'm headed back to the new place to do some work this weekend I think I'll take time to go for a beach run. Sand running sounds like a good idea.

For whatever reason the sand at J Tree didn't bother me last year; well, ok that last downhill section that had been pounded to death by horses was really loose but aside from that it was all good. In fact, I suspect it helped out my outer knee pain by making for softer impacts. Just speculation.

Adan Lopez
(Lopez) - F

Locale: San Gabriel Valley
Knee on 12/13/2013 21:20:45 MST Print View

The old leg hinge is finally starting to squeak a bit less. Must be all the rest I got at the hospital with my daughter the last few days. Now that she is feeling better and the scare is over, things are getting back on track. I got out a 3 mile knee tester today. Soreness for sure but seems to have returned to full strength/stability. Still, low miles for me, at least for another week or two. Once again the local pool is coming in handy for getting those underwater miles while the knee recovers.

I'm excited for the coming "winter" and getting my gear tweaked a bit in that regard. I have an idea for gaiters that will integrate with micro spikes instead of going under them, so working on that next. Also going to try a mod on my Golite Rush to add ice axe loops and a special pocket for micro spikes. Typically though, these kinds of projects languish and I end up doing fine without, but I can dream.

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

training on 12/15/2013 13:55:36 MST Print View

Adan- glad to hear the knee is feeling better! We are enjoying some really nice weather (the opposite of last week!)- so nice this afternoon I was in shorts and shirtsleeves :)

Had a pretty good week: strength/0/5.5/7/strength/14/7 33.5 miles and lots of elevation

My run yesterday I saw some relatively fresh lion tracks crossing over a ridge, at my turnaround point I saw a sign that indicates others have seen the lion(s). My long run was only 14 miles, but over 3000' of elevation gain- w/ four pretty good climbs

photo eddyelion_zps0bba59cc.jpg

photo eddyetop_zps98fbb761.jpg

photo eddyeelevation_zps54060b97.jpg

Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

Re: training on 12/15/2013 19:32:06 MST Print View

Yea buddy, looks good Mike, solid run. Glad to hear you were able to show some skin with the warmer weather.

Was you're route and out and back?

I ran 21 miles this morning with a running mate who is getting ready to run the Bandera 100K in a few weeks. Kept the pace steady, not too slow, not too fast, wrapping up just under 4hrs which is what we wanted, with two short stops to pack out some trash.

I haven't been fueling on anything during my weekly runs and today took in about ~250 calories (x2 apple sauce squeeze packs and x2 clementine oranges and 30oz. of water). This worked fine for me today, despite being a less than ideal amount of calories, but I need to start incorporating smarter fueling into my long runs, preferably something that mimics what I'll use at Zion. Fueling is easily my weakest area. I struggle with eating early and consistently from the beginning.

This is more gear related and of little importance, but I picked up a pair of Trailrock 245s at a price that was hard to pass on. I have no idea how people run ultras in them. I did 8 miles on my first run in them and felt a little tender afterwards. Love the traction and the fit, but don't care much for the initial rigidity in the outsole and the lack of midsole plush I'm used to. I'll rotate these into the mix, but keep them for runs under 10 miles I think.

Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
Training on 12/15/2013 19:40:41 MST Print View

Good week Mike.

Monday: surfing, 1.5 hours/yoga (10 sun salutations, my standard practice)
Tuesday: yoga/cross training
Wednesday: 5K road run (26:42)/yoga
Thursday:cross/yoga
Friday: surfing 1.5 hours/backpacking (4 miles)
Saturday: backpacking (4 miles)
Sunday: yoga/trail run (6 miles, 1:14, 1,300'gain)

And that's my week. Nothing to speak of, save for the backpacking trip (in trip reports).
I'm coming up on winter break and have some big plans for some loops/miles in the mountains.
I'm thinking considerably about approaching this Zion thing differently...Instead of doing many weekly maintenance miles, I might try and focus on getting in one really big (25 to 40 mile) hike/run every other week until then. I'm just not feeling the weekly running right now, but I'm still very inspired to do bigger stuff in the mountains/deserts. If it means I'm doing Zion as an ultrapedestrian vs. runner, that's fine by me.
As I only have about 1 month of small game/upland bird hunting season left, I'm going to start running and gunning over the next weeks as well.