Forum Index » Hiking Partners / Group Trip Announcements » 3rd Annual BPL Spring Run -Zion Training Thread

Display Avatars Sort By:
Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

Locale: Nuevo Mexico
Re: Re: The Struggle on 11/14/2013 19:53:22 MST Print View

Ride it out Craig. I don't know your challenges and priorities, but know that we all have our own unique daily obstacles and hardships to overcome in this process. This isn't to diminish your individual struggle, but hopefully to encourage you in the knowledge that consistency isn't easy for anyone. I appreciate your honesty here, Craig. Let it be known, I envy your morning surf sessions.

Illuminated full moon runs out in the desert without a headlamp are hard to beat. Looking forward to Sunday evening.

Ozzy McKinney
(PorcupinePhobia) - F

Locale: PNW
Rain on 11/15/2013 03:14:37 MST Print View

I really enjoyed your TR from the other day Craig. I'll trade a run or two for a family backpacking trip for sure.

It's been raining a lot. I've been... not running much. 2-5 miles once or twice a week. That isn't going to get me anywhere. Transitioning jobs right now so schedule is crazy, but the move will be good in the long run. Experimenting with some non-slip footbed material for huaraches to help keep things less bananapeel-esque on the really muddy days.

Art ...
(asandh) - F
Re: Re: Re: The Struggle on 11/15/2013 10:43:44 MST Print View

hit rock bottom this week with a total of 13 miles.
(and I wasn't even surfing).
the slow road back begins today ...

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

Locale: Montana
training on 11/17/2013 10:55:02 MST Print View

had a pretty good week, got in a tough 14 miler yesterday w/ ~ 4000' of elevation-it was a trail I hadn't run before, but definitely will again :)

strength/5.5/6/0/strength/14/4- total of 29.5 and just shy of 8000' of gain

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

training in the cold on 11/24/2013 15:18:26 MST Print View

Brrrr- been a little chilly here this week; my two mid week runs were in the dark and one night it was 6F- also took a heck of tumble and black & blued my elbow and shoulder- my fault as I usually bring two lamps (one on my head, the other on my waist) for better depth perception and picking up hazards. I was hoping that the full moon would make up for one lamp, which it might have had the clouds not rolled in-doh!

had a good long run yesterday, but cold, 7F to start about 20F when we were done

week looked like this: strength/7.5/4/0/strength/18/4.5= 34 miles w/ ~9000' of elevation

photo rodneyme_zps37bca490.jpg

Hiking Malto
(gg-man) - F
Mike, lets trade on 11/24/2013 15:26:46 MST Print View

Training locations. I would love to have that vertical training ground in my back yard. I have two choices, runnable but flat or a rock scramble and hilly. I have been in a great routine over the last 8 weeks. Very consistent 13-20 mile relatively flat runs every weeks with one 32 mile AT run/fast rock scramble. Last week I also began my patented treadmill routines which I know will prepare me for the uphills. 4.5mph and increase the elevation by 1degree per minute up to 12 degrees, later more. I follow this with a speed workout going from 4.5-5.4 by .1mph increases every minute. This is all done walking, no running which is significantly harder for me.

My plan is to get a few 30+ mile days in over the winter and section hike some of the AT this spring doing 30-40 mile days. Don't know if I will get the same level of vertical that I did for the R2R2R two years ago, that was nice thing about living near the GA AT. There was plenty of vertical.

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

trade on 11/24/2013 16:53:25 MST Print View

Greg- no complaints here (well except that weather thing :)), even my shortest routes I'm getting 500'+, much better in that regard to my previous locale; even my walk to work I get decent elevation gain- my wife said they should have named the town Hillena :)

I'm pretty sure I'll be spending a fair amount of time on the treadmill due to weather, I was disappointed that my gym doesn't have an old fashioned step machine like they did in Miles City- that was a dandy of a machine!

Mike

Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: training on 11/24/2013 21:24:31 MST Print View

You guys are bonafide badasses. Glad to hear you came out relatively unscathed from your recent tumble. Those temperatures are making the hair on my neck stand up. It would take some serious motivation to get me out the door in 7F temps for a run. How are you feeling after your long runs? You've been doing that 18 mile/9K vertical run regularly now. Sounds like your base is really solid.

Yesterday a few NM locals came together to run the Picacho Pk Fatass 50K, a low key free race my good friend Dan Carter put on in the Robledo Mtn range. We wrapped up course flagging this past week and dropped off a cache on the course for runners Friday night. It was pretty much a self supported affair, save for the small aid I setup at mile 10/18. Saturday morning we had a wintry mix which made the start unusually brisk for the motley crew of desert rats that showed up, all ten of us.

I havent been running much volume the last 6 weeks or so, a few good runs but no significant weekly long runs, so I wasn't sure how I was going to feel yesterday toeing the line for a 50K run. We headed out at 8am from the start area and I knew within the first mile that I was feeling pretty good and had a good chance for a decent run. Had a short rough patch at mile 18-20 with some cramping issues in my quads coming off one of two longer climbs, but was able to throttle my effort back and keep them at bay, enough to finish without feeling completely wrecked. Finished in 6:20 with a smile on my face and a beer in hand at the finish. I was stoked with the time considering the tough course Dan put together and the cold weather that kept us on our toes. The run was a good excuse to get a crew of people together to have fun and push each other and it was a great success.

I'm feeling more confident now that I'll be able to maintain my base through winter and be ready for more specific training starting in January, leading into April.

Anyone have running plans for Thanksgiving weekend?

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

50k on 11/25/2013 07:17:43 MST Print View

Eugene- congrats- sounds like you did great! that 9000' is for the week, my 18-ish mile runs have been in the 4-5000' range which is still pretty decent. I'm a little sore after those long runs, but not terrible- good enough I've been getting a shorter run in the next day. the cold weather does take a little motivation to get out, especially in the dark, but once I get going it isn't too bad :)

I'm definitely running over Thanksgiving, but no races (they do have a 8k Turkey Trot I'll pass on). I'll be in MIssoula visiting my daughter, grandson and son-in-law, some very good running in Missoula- so at least one good long run in the mix.

How about you?

Mike

Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

Re: 50k on 11/25/2013 08:40:01 MST Print View

Enjoy Missoula!

No plans for the holiday weekend, probably ease back into a run. Feeling pretty sore today, more than Sunday for sure. I'm fundamentally opposed to running anything with the words turkey and trot as a descriptor, so I think I will just eat, drink, and be merry.

Adan Lopez
(Lopez) - F

Locale: San Gabriel Valley
training on 11/25/2013 17:55:07 MST Print View

Everytime I go off the deepend and checkout of BPL-land for a while, I always regret it, and this is not exception. Look at all the good run-vibes I've been missing!! Time to plug back in and recharge the running batteries!

Looks like everybody is doing similar to how I'm doing. Some on-and-off weeks, some great weeks, but overall some good running motivation to share. I love it.

My summer was basically backpacking, with Craig and with family, Surfing, with Craign and with family, bbqing, van-tripping, etc with beer and running sprinkled in here and there. I must not have killed my fitness too much during all of this because already I'm feeling some real good energy coming back into the ol' getaway sticks. I'm also getting pumped about my night runs lately, running without lights has become more natural and now I'm like, getting a good high on some of these night runs. Yesterday, I capped the week off with a favorite, Baldy+ in the snow, which always gets the juices flowing big time. In between, I will be logging some bodyweight stuff that Ive been "enjoying". I call it Run to the park, climb tree branch mucho, mantle up wall mucho, burpees muchos, run over park bench some, run home, Lift heavy bag mucho.

5t/xtrain/5t/xtrain/10t
5t/xtrain/8t
8/xtrain/7t/xtrain/10t (Baldy!!)

Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
Training…if you can call it that. on 11/25/2013 18:29:10 MST Print View

The ocean has won again. I surfed for 8 days straight, took Sunday off, then surfed again today.
I think two 5Ks, one lap swimming session, and 3 cross training sessions got worked into that stretch.

I called Adan on Friday to see if he wanted to surf on Saturday. He reminded me that we just got our first snow and seemed a bit disappointed I wasn't thinking mountains. He went and got some snow. I surfed. Shows where my head's been.

But hey, this morning a juvenile whiteshark graced me by showing me its fin tip. It slowly swam by about 15 feet away, calm and cool as could be. Like a boss. I was riding a 9'6" longboard (small waves) and it was at least as long as my board. Four other surfers about 20 feet to my right saw it as well. We kept surfing. If it wanted to eat someone I figure it wouldn't have been so obvious to us.

Check out this link:
http://ktla.com/2013/11/20/possible-great-white-shark-caught-on-video-as-sightings-appear-on-rise/#axzz2li6mfGSr

This was filmed only a week ago on a GoPro at the exact spot I've been surfing every morning for the last week.

I'm fairly certain the shark I saw today was one of the same above; size was identical.

Don't count ol' Craig out of this Zion run though. I'll get it together one of these days.

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

training on 11/25/2013 19:29:39 MST Print View

Adan- glad to see you checking in! I know you guys have some serious vertical nearby (as well as a ocean!!), I wouldn't have believed it, but got to see it w/ my own eyes :)

Craig- that's very cool AND scary at the same time- kind of like seeing a grizzly in the backcountry

Art ...
(asandh) - F
Re: training on 11/26/2013 09:11:06 MST Print View

Glad to hear " most " of you have been doing some training.

I officially hit bottom 2 weeks ago with a 13 mile week, preceded by two 15 mile weeks. So last week I began the crawl back to fitness with 29 miles, this week will be similar, with a goal of 40 a week by New Years, then the real training.

In my defense this is my normal time of year for laying off the running, but I'm also trying to heal up a weird hip issue that seems to get aggravated by up hill power walking of all things. Plain old running, I am fine. Its not quite healed yet, so in my come back I'm temporarily avoiding training runs that are steep enough to require walking ... we'll see what happens.

And in a true shoot the messenger sense, I'm wondering if its my Cascadias that are causing my biomechanics to be off and thus causing the hip issue. So, yes, I'm looking for a new pair of shoes ... maybe the Pearl Izumi N2's ? Haven't tried them in a store yet though.

Adan Lopez
(Lopez) - F

ocean vs mountain on 11/26/2013 10:30:28 MST Print View

Craig, super bummed I missed the shark encounter. As you know, I'm kinda in the reverse situation. I wish I surfed weekly, but the mountain's pull is stronger, especially in winter. Anywho, in a shameless and selfish effort to pull you to the dark side, here are some pics from this weekend.

backbone

cloud running

ridge

cloud

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

nice pics! on 11/26/2013 18:56:00 MST Print View

Adan- looks great! Craig will have a tough time resisting that :)

Art- sorry to hear about your hip, hope it goes away for you.

I'm very fond of the N2's- sole is grippy, roomy toe box (but snug at the mid and rear), mild drop, the best shoe laces known to man (like little sausages so the knot doesn't come undone), lightweight yet stout enough for mountain running

probably a little less protection/cushioning than the Cascadias (just by looking at them side by side)

I've got 300 miles on mine and recently added screws to them, I'm thinking they might last me through winter; I've got a new pair in the box for spring

I think Eugene might be in N2's as well??????

Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
Re: nice pics! on 11/26/2013 19:09:35 MST Print View

Sick pictures Adan. Baldy looks pretty big and proud there.

So I was going to run up there tomorrow....but....a boat trip to spearfish at the Channel Islands has been put together. Underwater hunting it is. Hoping to put some fresh fish on the table for Thanksgiving.

One of these days I'll run.

One of these days....

Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

Re: nice pics! on 11/26/2013 19:53:18 MST Print View

I always get hyped on your rambles into the mountains, Adan.

@Mike and Art,

I'm still running in the PI Trail N2 and the N1, depending on the run. Last weekend I wore my pure grits for the first time in many months- definitely appreciated the extra cushion. Any idea what's causing the pain Art? Visited a therapist? Maybe it's your body's way of saying "run the ups, walk the downs"?

Have any of you run in the Inov8 Trailroc shoes? I scored a pair of Trailroc 245s on clearance. I have a feeling they're going to ride really low.

Adan Lopez
(Lopez) - F

Re: Re: nice pics! on 11/26/2013 22:46:14 MST Print View

"Underwater hunting it is then".

Good comeback. Looking forward to pictures man. In other news, I must have been a bit sloppy with my ice axe on Baldy Sunday because I vaguely remember taking a good bell-ringer on the knee cap with it at one point. I was surprised at how little it hurt at the moment and I continued on for a really nice 6 mile run back down. Fast forward 24hrs and I feel a little something tingly there. Another 24hrs and I can hardly walk. Running on pause until the knee forgives.

Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

Re: 3rd Annual BPL Spring Run -Zion Training Thread on 11/29/2013 21:23:00 MST Print View

Pretty chill week on my end so far, took some time to recover from last weekends 50K with zero running. Felt pretty shitty up until about Wed., but have rebounded nicely the last few days. Didn't run a single mile yesterday, in fact it never crossed my mind. Enjoyed the hell out of Thanksgiving with my family and friends over two different dinners and many glasses of wine and beer.

Wasn't up for running today, but the warm weather lulled me out the door this afternoon for a ride with some friends on the singlespeed. I'm not in great bike shape right now, at least not the shape these guys are in, but managed to keep up. I guess you can call today a cross training day or whatever. A few hours out on the singletrack and rock gardens...

Ripping A riding mate, ripping through a technical section.

I pulled the trigger on registering for the Black Canyon 100K on Feb. 15th in AZ. Jamil Coury of Aravaipa Running is putting it on, so it should be a great race- point to point course along the Black Canyon Trail in Central AZ. This will be my first time running that distance and definitely a good focus point going into winter. I'm a little nervous about running the distance, but I figure there's only one way to see what it's all about.