Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
3rd Annual BPL Spring Run -Zion Training Thread
Display Avatars Sort By:
Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
Re: Re: Strength/exercise on 10/28/2013 20:22:30 MDT Print View

nm

Edited by FamilyGuy on 10/30/2013 13:37:23 MDT.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Re: Strength/exercise on 10/28/2013 21:27:25 MDT Print View

"it's a really tough workout (at least it was for me!) 41:16 was my time the last time I tried it"

Good time! I'm going to try and beat it though ... I'm going for 41 hours even....

Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
Re: Re: Re: Strength/exercise on 10/28/2013 22:09:18 MDT Print View

You got this Doug!

So Dave, would you say that doing the higher reps is a waste of time when one could instead lift heavier and do fewer reps for more gain (at least in the short term?

It seems to me that we're all defining things differently. When a lot of surfers, runners, etc. that I know talk about "strength" training, most of the time they're actually talking about increasing endurance, not total power output. So if we take your definition, you're right in that regard. I see what you're talking about when comparing "strength" training vs. exercise or endurance training.

So, from the perspective of a runner or surfer (or whatever) that wants to simply maintain overall fitness and correct imbalances that come from the sport of choice (runners obviously don't build much upper body strength and surfers don't build the most powerful legs), do you think time would be better spent doing low reps/high resistance (6-10, near failure on last rep) vs. high reps, low resistance?

The problem as I see it: there has to be an end point to strength building or we're now talking bodybuilding/competitive weightlifting and some really impractical gains? (i.e., if a surfer were to continually increase leg press weight for an entire year, and the year after that, they'd likely end up with legs that were bigger than functional for their sport) A certain amount of strength is never going to hurt anyone...but there is a logical endpoint for any given sport. (I can tell you right now I'm too big to be a good distance runner, not just body fat, but muscle as well. My forearms are the size of a lot of skinny runner's calves.)

I think what we're all actually debating is the question of when is enough enough? And once that point is reached, isn't the goal simply maintenance and endurance, not a continuing increase in strength- which also brings unneeded size to many sports.

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

Locale: Montana
Re: Re: Re: Re: Strength/exercise on 10/29/2013 07:28:23 MDT Print View

my take is that it wouldn't be counter productive to do a little of both- one day I exclusively do higher rep body-weight exercises (typically Monday), the next day (typically Friday) my strength training is done mostly w/ weights in the 8-12 rep range

what I've let go was the very low rep/higher weight training that I used to do-while it was certainly fun and satisfying to load 315 # on the bench, with running and hiking being my primary "sports" I don't see myself going that route again- not to mention the risk of injury tended to go up w/ the increases in weight

I certainly don't begrudge someone lifting heavy and I still admire the time and effort it takes someone to get there, just not practical at this juncture in my life

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Re: Re: Re: Re: Strength/exercise on 10/29/2013 09:11:09 MDT Print View

nm

Edited by FamilyGuy on 10/30/2013 13:39:09 MDT.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Strength/exercise on 10/29/2013 09:11:54 MDT Print View

nm

Edited by FamilyGuy on 10/30/2013 13:38:16 MDT.

Art ...
(asandh) - F
Training Thread Hijacked on 10/29/2013 09:22:02 MDT Print View

well ... since the Zion training thread has now been hijacked maybe someone could start a new one that's actually about running, and more in line with how the RRR training thread went.

Edited by asandh on 10/29/2013 09:23:13 MDT.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Re: Training Thread Hijacked on 10/29/2013 09:58:15 MDT Print View

nm

Edited by FamilyGuy on 10/30/2013 13:36:52 MDT.

Ozzy McKinney
(PorcupinePhobia) - F

Locale: PNW
Seriousness on 10/30/2013 00:46:36 MDT Print View

In the words of one R.J. Burgandy-

Well, that escalated quickly.

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

in other news on 10/30/2013 07:19:03 MDT Print View

we got 5-7" of the white stuff, which has melted here and there creating some mixed ice/snow conditions- got the screws out last night to ready my shoes :)

photo studded_zpseb8dd03d.jpg

Art ...
(asandh) - F
Re: in other news on 10/30/2013 08:29:55 MDT Print View

looks good Mike.
what length screws do you use so they are long enough to stay in but not so long that they poke your feet ?

do you ever have a problem with them staying in ?

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

Re: Re: in other news on 10/30/2013 19:01:37 MDT Print View

Art- with these PI's I went w/ 3/8" because they seem a little thinner than past Montrails where I used 1/2" screws- the 1/2" screws in the Montrails stayed in really well- I wore more down than came out, I think I only lost a couple over two winters

we'll see on the 3/8" ones, their maiden voyage this evening went w/o a hitch

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

training on 11/03/2013 15:24:07 MST Print View

had a pretty good week- the highlight a 19 mile run yesterday w/ about 5700' of elevation- a little snow, a little ice, a little mud and even a little dry :)

strength/0/5.5/4.5/strength/19/4; 33 miles total

lost a couple of screws in my shoes (had to be on the long run), might have to try 1/2" screws- at least in the thicker portions in the rear

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

Re: training on 11/10/2013 16:51:08 MST Print View

another pretty good week- highlight was a 17.5 mile run today w/ ~ 5000' of elevation gain; gorgeous November day, highs in the mid 40's- little sun, little clouds, little light rain

strength/5.5/6/0/strength/5.5/17.5; 34.5 miles total

I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one training, am I? :)

Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

Locale: Nuevo Mexico
Re: Re: training on 11/10/2013 17:32:05 MST Print View

You're on your own Mike.....

I've been slacking on logging my weekly run totals! I'm still out there running with you in spirit Mike!

Ran a local trail 10K race yesterday morning in 43:57. I feel pretty good about that time considering 4 miles of the desert course consisted of gradual incline. I was 5th runner to the final turnaround with all the top 4 runners within 2 minutes. I foolishly stopped for a moment to down a cup of water from a helpful aid volunteer- that moment turned into 30 seconds when my legs turned to mush. I let 4 runners pass me in that time when I should have just pushed through it and held my position. I was able to regain and pass 2 of those 4 runners on the gentle downhill back to the finish for 7th overall. Wining times were a hair under 40mins. at 39:XX and some change, so my time wasn't too far off the mark.

I had not "officially" run a 10K race until yesterday, so it was a good gauge on my current fitness, which isn't horrible, but definitely needs some building! Had it been a flat road 10K I'm fairly confident that I would have run a sub-40 minute 10K. It's on my list of things to shoot for this coming up year. I'm not sure where this falls into training for Zion, but it's where I'm at right now.

Weekend after next is the Picacho Peak 50K Fat Ass Race, a small low key race we're putting on in our area. I'll have my course flagging responsibilities ahead of me over the next two weeks, so I'm sure I'll get in some longer miles.

Hiking Malto
(gg-man) - F
Not quite lazy on 11/10/2013 19:32:18 MST Print View

But a fad unmotivated. Did a 14 mile road run. Over the last few weeks I have concentrated on long runs, 13-20 miles once a week. Did a 32 mile trail run/hike three weeks ago. Getting good base fitness in, will have to get serious in upcoming weeks.

Art ...
(asandh) - F
Re: Re: training on 11/11/2013 07:43:42 MST Print View

only doing about 15 miles a week right now, but should resume training in a week or two and slowly return to some real mileage.

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: training on 11/11/2013 08:03:35 MST Print View

Eugene- that's screaming fast! I'll occasionally run 8 minute miles when doing mile repeats, I don't think I'd ever be able to run 7 minute miles over any distance- well maybe one mile w/ a grizzly on my tail :)

Greg- I've read that a little road running can be beneficial; theory is that it "shocks" the body a little bit more vs trails-I have to run ~ 1/2 mile of roads (to and fro) to get to the trailheads around here so I get a little road work in

Art- I'm confident your base is solid :)

Mike

Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
The Struggle on 11/11/2013 15:55:18 MST Print View

Much faster than me , Eugene.

I've been having tons of fun outdoor adventures but little in the way of actual running training.

I'm going to hold at 20 miles/week of easy stuff for another week, then start bumping things up.

I'm struggling. I'd like to believe I'm hard enough to surf most mornings before work AND run AND do my cross training AND weekend backpacking trips (on top of full time work and gardening and parenthood!)...
...but since surfing comes at dawn, I'm usually pretty spent by the time I'm home at 4:30...easy to blow off the running and other training.
Gonna start trying my best.....If I'm going to be maintaining the current amount of surfing I'm doing (which is a non-compromise at this point) and add in the distance running, I think I'm going to really have to get my sleep and diet cleaned up too (and ditch the beer).

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

Re: The Struggle on 11/14/2013 17:50:07 MST Print View

I'm sure surfing could easily be counted as cross-training, add in a couple of shorter runs here and there and a long run on the weekend and you'll be GTG! :)

due to the time change, I've been running at night the last couple of weeks (except weekends), it's definitely a little tougher for me to get motivated vs running in the day- I am getting better at running at night though and we've got a full moon coming soon which will help