Forum Index » General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Mt. Whitney after Government Shutdown


Display Avatars Sort By:
Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Store and Campgrounds are closed on 10/03/2013 21:42:09 MDT Print View

"A lot of them aren't going to come out of hibernation next spring."

If they don't come out of hibernation, what are they going to do, wake up dead?

--B.G.--

Gary Dunckel
(Zia-Grill-Guy) - MLife

Locale: Boulder
Estes Park slowdown on 10/03/2013 21:58:54 MDT Print View

You're right on, Stuart. I talked with my pal tonight that works in Estes, and he mentioned that several shops on the main street have shut down for the season. Some had flooded basements, some figured the tourist flow would not be worth it, etc. It's nearly impossible to get to Estes from Boulder, so most locals are thinking about doing other things right now.

Today, I chose to dodge several road closures to buy some pinon wood for the winter down in Arvada. Not really an easy afternoon. Things are still messy all along the northern Front Range.

And forget trying to see the classic aspen color in RMNP...

Ken Miller
(Powderpiggy) - F

Locale: Colorado
What if no one notices? on 10/04/2013 16:24:09 MDT Print View

Apparently the NPS is barricading private property at other areas. Mount Vernon is privately owned and has also been barricaded. This whole thing is a mess, many of the rangers must think they turned in their green shirts and got back brown ones. I know people do what they're told, but a little civil disobedience would seem appropriate.

Maybe Clinton and Bush 43 could be summoned to figure out a compromise. Heck, they could all play a round of golf at Andrews AF base, since the course remains open

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: What if no one notices? on 10/04/2013 18:30:42 MDT Print View

"they could all play a round of golf at Andrews AF base, since the course remains open"

The course remains open because it's not funded with appropriated funds - none of the non-appropriated fund activities need to close/are directly affected by the budgetary impasse.

Ken Miller
(Powderpiggy) - F

Locale: Colorado
Maybe they should call it a gov't slowdown on 10/04/2013 18:45:59 MDT Print View

I thought they were out of money. Oh well, when you've got a global credit card it must not matter. The senate hasn't passed a budget in 5 years, autopilot into the fog, full speed ahead.

It's kinda of weird that the stone monuments that have no interiors get closed down. I guess there's no money to cut the grass or pick up the pigeon droppings?

Some agencies have over 95% non-essential employees, ouch! The remaining 5% are getting some good parking spots.