Winter Shelters: MSR Twin Sisters?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Serge G.
(sgiachetti) - M

Locale: Boulder, CO
Winter Shelters: MSR Twin Sisters? on 10/03/2013 06:40:06 MDT Print View

Anyone have experience with this one?

I'm curious specifically about condensation. Just picked up a BD betalight on sale, but I'm liking the fuller protection of the twin sisters, so I may return it.

Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

Locale: Nuevo Mexico
Re: Winter Shelters: MSR Twin Sisters? on 10/03/2013 10:35:08 MDT Print View

Not what you asked, but have you looked at the Golite ShangriLa 2?

Same coverage/sq ft at less weight and cost. Equally as capable as the MSR Twin Sisters.

S Long
(Izeloz) - M

Locale: Wasatch
Re: Re: Winter Shelters: MSR Twin Sisters? on 10/03/2013 13:26:04 MDT Print View

No sod skirt for snow on the Golite. More difficult to seal out spindrift.

Serge G.
(sgiachetti) - M

snow skirt on 10/03/2013 18:28:30 MDT Print View

Thanks Eugene, yeah that one looks good too, although I think if I'm going to swap out the beta light it'll be for that snow skirt.

Anyone try this out? Or if you regularly use mids in winter, do you think a snow skirt would be a nice addition?

Thanks

David Chenault
(DaveC) - BPL Staff - F

Locale: Crown of the Continent
re: Twin Sisters on 10/03/2013 19:50:29 MDT Print View

"Or if you regularly use mids in winter, do you think a snow skirt would be a nice addition?"

Yes. I've been on the fence about putting one on my Megalight. If you have 8+ inches of snow it's easy to bury the edges and seal out drafts. With less snow, and cold windy weather snow skirts would be handy.

Paul McLaughlin
(paul) - MLife
Re: Winter Shelters: MSR Twin Sisters? on 10/03/2013 21:23:36 MDT Print View

I have an MSR Twin Peaks - the immediate ancestor of the Sisters - that I added snow flaps to. I have used it on several ski tours; here it is at Dale Lake, Red Mountain Basin in the Sierra:

adale lake camp

I like it - it sets up very solid, handles serious wind well. For two I dig the floor down about 8 inches for more room. The flaps are very nice for camping on spring snow - just pile on a few inches and it sets up hard and locks the thing in nicely. then I jack up the adjustable ski poles a little and get it drum tight. in dryer, colder mid-winter snow that might not work so well, but we don't get much of that dry snow in the Sierra.
Condensation is an issue but not bad as long as you get out early before it melts and starts to drip on you.

Would be very easy to add flaps to a betalight - it's all straight cuts and straight seams.

Serge G.
(sgiachetti) - M

Re: re: Twin Sisters on 10/03/2013 23:35:22 MDT Print View

@Dave--I read your posts about the mega light, so I'm glad to get your perspective
"With less snow, and cold windy weather snow skirts would be handy."

This describes most of our last few winters. And lots of spindrift. In the battle of my 15 degree quilt vs. CO spindrift...I'd rather not look.

@ Paul -- The sierras! Looks like fun. I plan to use if for ski tours here in CO, too. Looks spacious enough for a multi day base camp and light enough for traverse style trips.

I may even consider doing the stove jack thing next year. Anyone know of someone who could do that mod for me? I'm so not DIY--not trying to destroy my beautiful gear.

Thanks folks

James Cahill
(DMATB) - M

Locale: SOCAL
re: stovejack on 10/03/2013 23:51:37 MDT Print View

John at Bearpaw could probably do a stovejack for you

David Chenault
(DaveC) - BPL Staff - F

Locale: Crown of the Continent
re: stovejack on 10/04/2013 07:07:17 MDT Print View

Email me when/if you want a stovejack and I'll do it. Bearpaw is a good option either for the jack or for material. Seek Outside would be worth contacting as well.

Serge G.
(sgiachetti) - M

Re: re: stovejack on 10/04/2013 23:27:59 MDT Print View

Thanks Dave, I'll probably drop you a line when I start brainstorming more about it. For this winter I'm first going to invest in going full michelin for camp comfort. Got good deals on the das pants, and an uber puffy from bergans. Now just need some booties.