Is backpacking only for the young!
Display Avatars Sort By:
Dean F.
(acrosome) - MLife

Locale: Back in the Front Range
Snark on 10/03/2013 11:21:20 MDT Print View

I hope you congratulated him for not being a disrespectful twerp who just sits at home to play Halo and gorge on pork rinds. You should have effusively praised his good life-choices and encouraged him not to take up drugs, all with a big smile and the tone of a first grade teacher.

Hey, if he can "congratulate" you for being able to walk I think that deserves some snark in return... :)

Edited by acrosome on 10/03/2013 11:23:40 MDT.

Justin Baker
(justin_baker)

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA
Re: Is backpacking only for the young! on 10/03/2013 11:23:46 MDT Print View

I'm 21 years old and I feel like I've walked into a retirement community every time I step onto a trail ;)

Dean F.
(acrosome) - MLife

Locale: Back in the Front Range
Snark, revisited. on 10/03/2013 13:54:25 MDT Print View

You're old enough to walk? Don't the diapers chafe?

:)

Edited by acrosome on 10/03/2013 13:55:01 MDT.

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest/Sierra
Re: Re: Re: Young backpackers? on 10/03/2013 14:53:04 MDT Print View

"I'll second Tom's prowess in the hills."

Thanks to both Craig and Doug for the kind words. I am humbled, and honored to have been able to share a very special part of the Sierra with 3 of the finest companions a guy could ask for.

Age wasn't really a factor anyway, because we were all just little boys out there doing what little boys do when Mommy's not looking.

"He led over Shepherd's Pass in 90+ degree temps. I'd be a liar if I didn't say I had a few "Oh $hit, this guy's not going to slow down" moments until I hit my stride."

And I had a few "Oh $hit" moments, too, thinking what the he!! had I gotten myself into hiking with these young studs, and that if I stumbled, they'd make waffle tracks all over my shiny new OHM 2. ;0)

"It's not age, it's poor lifestyle choices leading up to that age."

+1

That and a passion for the mountains. If you want it bad enough, you'll stay in shape. Simple as that. In my case there is really no choice, because the Sierra is at the core of who I am.

Somehow, I think Craig, Adan, and Doug will be up there for many years to come.

And, Doug, it wasn't 96! It was....uh...., 92? 89? Aw he!!, maybe it was 96 after all. :(

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: Is backpacking only for the young? on 10/03/2013 15:18:25 MDT Print View

> if one keeps up the active life that endurance actually improves with age.
Yup - we just get meaner and smarter... :-)
The secret? Never stop walking.

Cheers

M B
(livingontheroad) - M
young on 10/12/2013 11:42:39 MDT Print View

I think endurance increases up to a point, around age 27 for men, then begins to decrease.

But it decreases very slowly.

How slowly? Well, I read once that your endurance does not have to be less than it was at age 19, until you are 64. This is why geezers can compete in ultramarathons.

Joint issues, are a different story.

Edited by livingontheroad on 10/12/2013 11:44:18 MDT.

Larry De La Briandais
(Hitech) - F

Locale: SF Bay Area
Jack Lalanee on 10/14/2013 08:29:46 MDT Print View

Proved that it declines VERY slowly!

Edited by Hitech on 10/14/2013 15:08:11 MDT.

Eric Blumensaadt
(Danepacker) - MLife

Locale: Mojave Desert
Backpacking in geezerhood on 10/14/2013 14:45:46 MDT Print View

I'm 70 approaching 71 and right now I'm in our study with gear all around me packing for a deer hunt in the Ruby Mountains of northern Nevada - solo.

I do work out to stay in shape with weight training at least twice weekly and hiking with 35 lbs. 4 to 5 days a week for 5 miles. That plus skiing at high altitude seems to keep me in shape for backpacing.

So yes, Virginia, there IS life after 50 for backpackers.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Is backpacking only for the young! on 10/14/2013 15:14:01 MDT Print View

I solved the problem of approaching geezerhood. I quit celebrating birthdays.

That was a tip passed on to me by President Truman.

--B.G.--

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Re: Re: Is backpacking only for the young! on 10/14/2013 17:20:27 MDT Print View

"That was a tip passed on to me by President Truman."

Doesn't seem to have worked out so well for him. ;0)

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Re: Re: Re: Is backpacking only for the young! on 10/14/2013 18:13:30 MDT Print View

[Truman]

"Doesn't seem to have worked out so well for him."

I don't know. He lived to a ripe old age, even older than you, Tom.

--B.G.--

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: Is backpacking only for the young! on 10/14/2013 18:15:13 MDT Print View

"I don't know. He lived to a ripe old age, even older than you, Tom."

I never said it was going to work out any better for me. Nobody gets out of here alive, you know. ;0)

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Is backpacking only for the young! on 10/14/2013 19:42:29 MDT Print View

"Nobody gets out of here alive, you know."

That's what President Roosevelt used to always tell me.

Teddy, not Franklin.

--B.G.--

Steve Genest
(srfish59) - M

Locale: SoCal
Is backpacking only for the young!" on 11/04/2013 13:02:53 MST Print View

I'll turn 61 in a few weeks. In May of this year I went on my first backpack in 43 years, albeit just a 12mi overniter. In August I took my first solo trip, a very nice hike along the Kern River. It's been quite a journey, from catching up on all the equipment changes, to acquiring gear to getting these old legs trail worthy (process ongoing...). I recently volunteered for some trail work in the Los Padres Natl Forest. I pulled in to the campground / gathering point expecting to see a bunch of young bucks but no...it was rather a bunch of grey headed guys like me. In Fact, I was the youngun' on the team I was asigned to! Us old guys put in a good days work! Heading out again in a few weeks for another overniter, but I'm looking forward to a some multi-day trips next year. Seeiong the back-country again after so many years?...priceless.

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Re: Is backpacking only for the young!" on 11/04/2013 16:37:33 MST Print View

"Seeiong the back-country again after so many years?...priceless."

Almost unbearably sweet, wasn't it? Get used to it, Steve. It only gets more intense with every passing trip. Something to do with knowing more of your trips are behind you than in front of you, I think, and how incredibly precious each one is. Each one is a gift from the mountain gods to those willing to put in the long hours of hard work that are the price of admission for those who still have the passion after all those years.

Unrelated question: Do you, by any chance, have relatives in Maine?

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Locale: So Cal
Geezers on 11/04/2013 23:38:18 MST Print View

Reading these posts reminds me why I hate Tom Kirchner so much! :)

Steve Genest
(srfish59) - M

"Is backpacking only for the young!" on 11/05/2013 10:05:12 MST Print View

Hi Tom, yes I have extended family in Maine. Many cousins, in fact. We came west to Cal in 1958, so I have only seen my extended family a few times over the years, but we do stasy in touch. I take it you know some Genest's?

Steve Genest
(srfish59) - M

Re: Backpacking in geezerhood on 11/05/2013 14:48:16 MST Print View

Thanks for sharing this Eric...you are an inspiration!

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Re: Geezers on 11/05/2013 17:12:13 MST Print View

"Reading these posts reminds me why I hate Tom Kirchner so much!"

;O) I'm sitting here chuckling at the prospect of you in my shoes 20 years from now, with a whole new younger generation hating you. My guess is that you are going to be around for a good long time. You have good strong legs, eat right, live a relatively stress free life, and are financially secure. The only thing that will stop you is loss of desire. Like I said, a good long time. Besides, you're too darn ornery to just up and quit. ;-)

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Re: Re: Geezers on 11/05/2013 17:18:59 MST Print View

Quit complaining about geezers, or else I will hit you over the head with my cane.

--B.G.--