Forum Index » GEAR » Lightweight Hiking Shoes - Approach?

Display Avatars Sort By:
Christoph Blank
(chbla) - F

Locale: Austria
mids on 10/04/2013 03:23:16 MDT Print View

I think I will order the Boulder X and give it a try.

I also plan to buy a pair of GoreTex shoes in mid size for rain and eventually winter use. I suppose I could therefore just use a mid version of the shoes I posted..

Ito Jakuchu
(jakuchu) - MLife

Locale: Japan
Re: mids on 10/05/2013 01:55:34 MDT Print View

I have been using two pairs of light mids in GTX and one pair of trail runners in OutDry.
Using them in the rainy and typhoon season here has provided some good experiences/feedback for me.

In short - almost always when there is sustained rain my socks will start to feel wet after two hours. Then they will be soaked and sogging in 2,5 hours. I've had this happen quite consistently while hiking in continuous rain. The rain I'm talking about varies from normal sustained to intense sustained rain, sometimes was a bit less, sometimes a bit more. But none of my shoes stayed dry for more than 2~2,5 hours.

I liked the OutDry trail runner because they felt less clammy over the GTX mids, but that might have been a function of the mesh of the trailrunners uppers. I think there might still be cases where GTX mids could be good. In mild snow trails where you are not constantly subjected to lots of snow or water the GTX Mids were warmer and stayed dry enough (but I have limited snow experience).

Other people's milage may vary of course, just sharing my experience.

Edited by jakuchu on 10/05/2013 01:57:47 MDT.