Weight of Nalgene "Ultralite" 1L (for Steripen folks)
Display Avatars Sort By:
Valerie E
(Wildtowner) - M

Locale: Grand Canyon State
HDPE & Alcohol on 10/01/2013 09:25:59 MDT Print View

OMG, David -- NEVER defile your scotch (or other serious libation) by putting it in HDPE! You're making me cry! ;~)

James Couch
(JBC) - M

Locale: Cascade Mountains
Re: nalgenes on 10/01/2013 19:40:43 MDT Print View

Scotch should NEVER be put in plastic of ANY kind, EVER! :)

Mark Ries
(mtmnmark) - M

Locale: IOWAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!
Re: Weight of Nalgene "Ultralite" 1L (for Steripen folks) on 10/01/2013 20:03:56 MDT Print View

The only bottles I have ever had problems with were my first old white nalgenes they got brittle and broke all my lexans are good. I will take the weight savings of disposable bottles I've not had any problems even freezing them. I guess I must rotate them with new often enough.

Hikin' Jim
(hikin_jim) - MLife

Locale: Orange County, CA, USA
Re: Weight of Nalgene "Ultralite" 1L (for Steripen folks) on 10/16/2013 15:25:36 MDT Print View

Since I am a happy Steripen user, I've been wanting a lighter 1 liter wide-mouth bottle ...so I ordered one of the new "ultralites"
"New" "Ultralight" :) I find that mildly amusing since Nalgene has been selling an HDPE 1L bottle for at least 30 years. Nothing new about them, and I wouldn't exactly call them ultralight. Advertising at it's finest.

What I've been doing with my Steri-Pen is to scoop water into a cut-down 2L Playtypus. it's free standing which is nice, light, and it folds up really small. After treatment, I pour the water into whatever container I like.

I concur that the Nalgene "Cantenes" don't last very well. I've had two spring a leak at the seam. I've stopped using them.

HJ
Adventures In Stoving

Steven McAllister
(brooklynkayak) - MLife

Locale: Atlantic North East
nalgenes on 10/17/2013 06:15:05 MDT Print View

For my use, nothing is better than standard soda bottle, but I use a Steripen Classic.

I don't know why the new Steripens don't use this design? The neck gasket makes it so much easier then the dip and stir method that the newer models require.

Soda bottle are cheap, light and the screw cap is much more reliable than the Gatorade style caps which break when dropped or start leaking after a month of use.

I beat the hell out of mine and have never had one fail. Can't say the same for other bottles I've tried.