Forum Index » Chaff » Who is signing up for ObamaCare (aka ACA) on Tuesday?

Display Avatars Sort By:
jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: Re: WA Health Finder down for days on 12/09/2013 22:17:20 MST Print View

"Web site still down. Isn't looking like I will have insurance for the new year"

That would be too bad. If a lot of people don't get health insurnace (or health care?) because of Obamacare then it would be a failure.

All this B.S. about signing up is relatively unimportant.

It'll really take a few years to start evaluating whether more people are getting more care, and at what cost. And you have to consider cost against the historical increases in healthcare - if costs increase but less than what has happened recently it could be considered some sort of success. Like if it increased at the same rate as the CPI.

Since you said you don't qualify for subsidy or tax credit, did you try going directly to insurance company?

And if you're not in time for January 1, maybe you'll be able to start January 15 or February 1 or something?

Fred Thorp
(BFThorp) - F
Deductible shock on 12/10/2013 06:02:03 MST Print View

WSJ: bronze plan deductibles over $5k or typically up near 45%
The real sticker shock will come next cycle when your premiums adjust.

Jerry you don't have to wait several years to see you've been hosed. The more I learn about this deal, the more I think it is probably going as planned.

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Re: Deductible shock on 12/10/2013 07:37:42 MST Print View

I don't have to wait several years, I get the same plan, except 10% cheaper. Same $30 co-pay, my colonoscopy will actually be $15 cheaper.

Now, maybe a year from now and two years from now rates will readjust. But that will be difficult to interpret because it's been going up much faster than inflation over the years.

David Olsen
(oware)

Locale: Steptoe Butte
Brokers? on 12/10/2013 09:44:18 MST Print View

The list of brokers is on the down web site. The state phone number is not taking calls to ask about brokers. The two broker numbers they gave me last week are not returning calls. This is one big clusterbox.

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Re: Brokers? on 12/10/2013 10:05:36 MST Print View

If there is a particular company you like, call them directly

Or call several and compare prices

My logic was to just stay with the company I had before, and my wife and mom have a Medicare Advantage plan with and they seem okay. Providence. Maybe how they handle claims is more important than who has a price that's a bit less.

Kaiser is rated pretty good, but you have to go to Kaiser doctors

Regence Blue Cross Blue Shield is pretty good.

Ken Miller
(Powderpiggy) - F

Locale: Colorado
Navigator on 12/10/2013 10:34:16 MST Print View

Jerry,

You should become a Navigator, get a desk, Big Chief tablet, #2 pencil and the Yellow Pages, away we go. Oh yeah, cordless phone with headset. I'm not sure if you need to know Morse Code as a backup.

After 2 months of service, you'll get a copy of Web Sites for Dummies signed by Karen and Barrack.

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Re: Navigator on 12/10/2013 11:13:24 MST Print View

What's a Navigator? : )

Jennifer Mitol
(Jenmitol) - M

Locale: In my dreams....
Re: Re: Navigator on 12/10/2013 13:52:06 MST Print View

My plan costs 50% less than my employee portion of my blue cross blue shield plan from my previous employer. My deductible is the same. Doctors are different because I'm in a different state now...so I can't argue with that. My very expensive medication is covered with no copay.

Seems like a great deal to me.

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Locale: PNW
Re: Re: Navigator on 12/10/2013 13:59:26 MST Print View

"What's a Navigator? : )"

Well Jerry, it's a fictional character from the Dune series who consumes large quantities of spice and becomes mutated. Or it's something completely different and then I really don't know.

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Navigator on 12/10/2013 14:09:21 MST Print View

(I'm just playing straight man to Ken's joke)

Dune - I want one of those suits that recycles all your perspiration

Jennifer and I are fictional characters planted by Obama, we're actually bots...

Fred Thorp
(BFThorp) - F
Re: Re: Re: Navigator on 12/10/2013 14:16:53 MST Print View

"My plan costs 50% less than my employee portion of my blue cross blue shield plan from my previous employer. My deductible is the same. Doctors are different because I'm in a different state now...so I can't argue with that. My very expensive medication is covered with no copay.

Seems like a great deal to me."

Please keep me updated over the next 12 months.

I have no doubt, some will benefit from this deal. Collectively, we're screwed. There is no way around it.

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: Navigator on 12/10/2013 14:23:48 MST Print View

or, collectively we'll be better off, even if some people are a little worse

Jennifer Mitol
(Jenmitol) - M

Locale: In my dreams....
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Navigator on 12/10/2013 15:30:02 MST Print View

Well Ken and Fred, this is what is going to happen over the next 12 months:

I'm going to be able to work fewer hours, make more money, have good insurance, work on the entrepreneurial project I've always wanted to start but never was able because I have to have insurance and no one would sell it to me, teach, research, treat patients, spend time with my niece, and travel. All thanks to ObamaCare. Because literally none of this would be able to happen without it.

It must be nice to know you're so much smarter than Nobel winning economists and health policy experts that you can predict with stunning accuracy how the world is going to end because most of us will now have affordable health insurance. Ah, the pressures you must have!!

Edited by Jenmitol on 12/10/2013 17:55:43 MST.

Ken Miller
(Powderpiggy) - F

Historically on 12/10/2013 16:38:43 MST Print View

Ah yes the "collective", from a historical perspective, everybody suffers more.

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Re: Historically on 12/10/2013 18:08:00 MST Print View

That Communist Fred is who used the word "collective" : )

Fred Thorp
(BFThorp) - F
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Navigator on 12/11/2013 15:15:52 MST Print View

"It must be nice to know you're so much smarter than Nobel winning economists and health policy experts that you can predict with stunning accuracy how the world is going to end because most of us will now have affordable health insurance."

As it turns out, I don't expect the world to end. I expect this legislation to benefit me financially more than I could have ever expected. Didn't Al The internet Gore win a Nobel prize for something? Again, you can't add layers of bureaucrats to a process and expect it to become more efficient or cheaper. It's never worked and I'm guessing this won't be any different.

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Navigator on 12/11/2013 15:42:10 MST Print View

"Al the internet Gore"

One of those taken out of context comments that the right wingers repeat ad nauseum in an attempt to make Al Gore seem like a delusional exhagerator

He pushed the bill through the congress that created the internet, so he did create the internet. He wasn't a software engineer or anything but he was a technical expert on it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al_Gore_and_information_technology has a pretty fair description

Ken Miller
(Powderpiggy) - F

Al Gore on 12/11/2013 19:07:32 MST Print View

I thought Al Gore invented Global Warming.

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Re: Al Gore on 12/11/2013 20:07:16 MST Print View

no, all of us consuming energy are inventing global warming

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Al Gore on 12/12/2013 07:58:01 MST Print View

"I thought Al Gore invented Global Warming."

No, he's just profiting off it mightily while contributing to it greatly.