Who is signing up for ObamaCare (aka ACA) on Tuesday?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Fred Thorp
(BFThorp) - F
bending the curve on 11/29/2013 16:59:40 MST Print View

Nothing in the article is a suprise. No mention of the net effect either... again no suprise.

Ken Miller
(Powderpiggy)

Locale: Colorado
Random on 11/29/2013 17:36:39 MST Print View

Pretty hard to see any cause and effect, Krugman is south of 9 o'clock when it comes to being a liberal. If there was even a glimmer of direct correlation, he'd be all over it. He didn't even try that hard in the editorial. He must be pissed that he wasn't invited to the WH for media "pep talk" a couple of weeks ago.

With all the delays, poor enrollment, and other disasters, it's hard to believe ACA has meet any financial goals.

The liberal talking heads are trying to change the discussion from web site disaster, dropped policies, lost doctors, and rising rates to future happy, happy.

Good luck

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: Random on 11/29/2013 18:48:37 MST Print View

Ken is for skyrocketing costs if it's bad for Obama and Democrats and supports the position he has staked out : )

Unfortunately, it's too late though:

"Still, the facts are striking. Since 2010, when the act was passed, real health spending per capita — that is, total spending adjusted for overall inflation and population growth — has risen less than a third as rapidly as its long-term average."

And, like Krugman said, there are other parts of Obamacare that will further cut cost increases:

"And the biggest savings may be yet to come. The Independent Payment Advisory Board, a panel with the power to impose cost-saving measures (subject to Congressional overrides) if Medicare spending grows above target, hasn’t yet been established, in part because of the near-certainty that any appointments to the board would be filibustered by Republicans yelling about “death panels.” Now that the filibuster has been reformed, the board can come into being."

Fred Thorp
(BFThorp) - F
Re: Obamacare on 11/30/2013 11:46:52 MST Print View

"So you are all for Skyrocketing medical costs then apparently............."

Me? I’m trying to look at some of these positives with a dose of reality. Related - cause / effect, and sustainability, I’m not getting a warm fuzzy. Net effect? If we hypothetically spend $100M to decrease the “cost” of the school lunch program, and the cost is reduced by $50M… would it be fair to say someone got screwed?

Once again, don’t confuse coverage, with cost and be careful what you wish for. Cost alone is probably not something I’d personally be asking for.

David Olsen
(oware)

Locale: Steptoe Butte
Not ready to pull the trigger on 12/02/2013 15:23:13 MST Print View

Thought I had a plan sorted out, but new information came out about which hospitals and doctors are in the network, IE covered. This reduced the number of plans available locally from 38 to about 4 and down to just two insurance providers. Plus the WA state web site is not working right now to compare anything.

It does look to me like there was too many changes too fast, in addition to all the push back from the extreme sides of things.

I suppose I should talk to a broker, since there is no real tax advantage to using the exchange for me.

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Re: Not ready to pull the trigger on 12/02/2013 16:26:53 MST Print View

Talk to the two insurance companies. Ask them specifics like if your doctor and hospital are covered.

My problems have been with insurance company. They said on the phone that my plan was cancelled, and that they sent me a letter, but I never received it. First time I'de find out is when the bill didn't arrive Dec 15 for January, and then it would be too late.

And they said they'de send me the application forms for a new plan, twice, but never did. So I just printed on my crappy printer that works barely good enough to read, but that was good enough.

Yeah, a big change like this will be chaotic, but if you delayed it, then it would be chaotic then. Let's just "bite the bullet" and eventually it will be over with.

If you don't qualify for tax subsidy, then just contact insurance company directly. Look at insurance company web site. Talk to them on phone. Print out application, fill it in, mail it to them. You will benefit from Obamacare because they don't have pre-existing conditions anymore so approval is automatic as long as you remember to fill in address, sign it, etc.

David Olsen
(oware)

ongoing saga on 12/03/2013 09:46:22 MST Print View

Finally WA web site up. However after 45 minutes of data input to buy insurance, they won't accept my email address as it only has 2 letters before the @ sign. So I called them, went through 9 "press this number" selections then told lines are busy, call back.

In addition, my Doctor works at two clinics owned by the same corp. My insurance would cover seeing him at one clinic but is out of network for the other?

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Re: ongoing saga on 12/03/2013 10:02:43 MST Print View

If you don't qualify for tax credit or subsidy, go directly with company, then you'll avoid WA exchange problems

David Olsen
(oware)

Might need coverage on 12/03/2013 11:07:39 MST Print View

Talked with a broker. Need to use the online due to some possible job changes on the horizon. So I made an email alias and tried to sign up again. The server is too slow and times out now. Might need to sign up after midnight to get on.

Silver plan seems to be the best bang for buck. Lower deductible than I have now by $5300 and premium $170 less (without any tax credits).

Ken Miller
(Powderpiggy)

Locale: Colorado
Root Cause on 12/03/2013 11:10:22 MST Print View

Unfortunately, it's too late though:

"Still, the facts are striking. Since 2010, when the act was passed, real health spending per capita — that is, total spending adjusted for overall inflation and population growth — has risen less than a third as rapidly as its long-term average."

Jerry I thought you were an engineer. What direct actions in the law caused the reduction? Anything?

I think the passage of ACA caused sunspots and hurricanes to be reduced to record lows.

Or maybe it's why the Seahawks are undefeated at home or maybe...........

Jeepers

Having everybody call the insurance companies is sure driving down the cost curve.

The biggest fix for Healthcare.gov is a "virtual waiting room" to keep it from crashing. Seems prophetic for what's to come if and when the law is ever implemented.

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Re: Root Cause on 12/03/2013 15:23:16 MST Print View

Yeah - the Seahawks are amazing. I sort of like Pete Carol's story. I kind of have a problem with watching football though, because the players are subject to head and other injuries and then their life is ruined. Something wrong with entertaining people at the players expense. My neighbor played with L.A. Rams and died of brain cancer which was probably because of football. But I have ignored this internal conflict up to now.

Yes, I am an electrical engineer, which is why I can see things more clearly : )

"What direct actions in the law caused the reduction? Anything?"

In Krugman's article he mentioned a couple.

Medicare penalizes hospitals if too many of their patients are readmitted, and readmition rates have fallen substantially.

Medicare encourages shifting from fee-for-service where compensation is for specific procedures, to "accountable care" where they get rewarded for over-all success in improving care and reducing costs.

Both of these also affect non Medicare.

Another reason for reduction in costs is the expiration of a number of blockbuster drugs like Lipitor, which actually isn't more effective than other statins so all the money Pfizer made was just a rip-off. This has nothing to do with Obamacare. But that is exactly what we should be doing to reduce medical costs - don't get scammed into wasting a bunch of money on some heavily marketed drug or procedure that actually isn't any more effective than cheaper versions or nothing.

"And the biggest savings may be yet to come. The Independent Payment Advisory Board, a panel with the power to impose cost-saving measures (subject to Congressional overrides)...". But that makes you nervous.

David Olsen
(oware)

WA Health Finder down for days on 12/06/2013 12:10:33 MST Print View

Been trying for several days. Web site keeps going down.

If was foolish of the gubermint to make everyone go through the web site instead of regular brokers.

Fred Thorp
(BFThorp) - F
"You can keep your Dr." on 12/09/2013 10:26:41 MST Print View

Apparently the president forgot to include the fine print part of this promise. What he meant to say was, if you want to go out of your "network" and pay for it out of pocket.

I hope the people that voted for this tard and continue to defend his policies, get exactly what they deserve.

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Re: "You can keep your Dr." on 12/09/2013 10:37:26 MST Print View

When I selected my new, Obamacare policy, I made sure my doctor was in network

I hope the people that are constantly whining get exactly what they deserve, good healthcare at reasonable cost, because that's what we all deserve : )

David Olsen
(oware)

Re: WA Health Finder down for days on 12/09/2013 11:50:35 MST Print View

Web site still down. Isn't looking like I will have insurance for the new year,

Fred Thorp
(BFThorp) - F
Re: Re: "You can keep your Dr." on 12/09/2013 13:09:55 MST Print View

Jerry, the NYTimes is reporting double premiums and triple deductibles as the norm, not the exception. Care to comment?

Edited by BFThorp on 12/09/2013 13:13:00 MST.

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: "You can keep your Dr." on 12/09/2013 13:37:18 MST Print View

Not possible to comment on that non-specific statement

My premium maybe went down 10%, trying to do apples to apples

95% of the people are unaffected

Fred Thorp
(BFThorp) - F
Re: Re: Re: Re: "You can keep your Dr." on 12/09/2013 14:18:59 MST Print View

"95% of the people are unaffected"

Where did that number come from?

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: "You can keep your Dr." on 12/09/2013 15:22:09 MST Print View

our president

Medicare, Medicaid, people that have insurance from their employer

Fred Thorp
(BFThorp) - F
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: "You can keep your Dr." on 12/09/2013 19:57:58 MST Print View

"our president

Medicare, Medicaid, people that have insurance from their employer"

Haha...Luckily I didn't have a mouth full of coffee when I read that.

Medicare has already been hit but the employer portion is going to be the real FUBAR. 95% is , well... a guy told me once, "if your going to tell a lie, you might as well tell a whopper".