Forum Index » Chaff » Who is signing up for ObamaCare (aka ACA) on Tuesday?

Display Avatars Sort By:
Matthew Perry
(bigfoot2) - F

Locale: Oregon
ObamaCare on 11/14/2013 20:47:16 MST Print View

b

Matthew Perry
(bigfoot2) - F

ObamaCare--What A Lie! And--YOU Fell For It! on 11/15/2013 10:22:59 MST Print View

Hmmmm....all of a sudden this thread got REAL quiet. Where did all the Obamacare supporters go? LOL

Matt

c

Apparently, the Executive branch is now the legislative branch as well...blurry lines create arbitrary lawlessness. A dangerous place for a nation to be in. This man's predecessors may not have been much better than this president, but I don't think any, subverted the constitution more overtly and more times than Obama has.

Edited by bigfoot2 on 11/15/2013 11:11:29 MST.

Ken Miller
(Powderpiggy)

Locale: Colorado
Meanie on 11/15/2013 11:09:37 MST Print View

They must think you are a mean person for not supporting the President. After all, we just don't know what is good for us. Thankfully we have a government that does and are willing to tell half, quarter, eighth truths to prove it. Or in Pelosi's case it was all the truth, we just didn't understand it.

Does this make me a kitchen table?

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: Meanie on 11/15/2013 11:22:03 MST Print View

I was talking to my brother. He and I are in the 5% that have individual policies and are being cancelled.

My new policy is cheaper, but it's difficult to compare.

He is paying 70% more. But he had catostrophic and the new policy has wider coverage. The first year, he is getting a colonoscopy - new policy pays for it which equals the higher payment. And in the future, depending on what expenses he has, the new policy may be more or less expensive.

He made jokes about not needing maternity care and becoming a Libertarian.

This anecdotal example shows how even if a few people are negatively affected, over-all, we'll be better off. If you're one of those maybe 2% it won't make you feel better.

And 95% of the people have employer insurance, Medicare, or Medicaide and aren't affected.

Ken Miller
(Powderpiggy)

Loyal on 11/15/2013 15:18:03 MST Print View

Jerry, you certainly have retained your loyalty. Although I suspect your feigned objectivity is really just rationalization, accepting that the end justifies the means.

I can only hope for the sake of your health that you do not use artificial sweeteners in your Kool-Aid. Consuming large quantities has got to be bad for you.

BTW, I thought Oregon had zero signups. Congratulations you might get a trip to the WH and get to be a prop for the next lecture.

I can see it now, tech savvy, ultra light backpacker fights thru 404 errors for kinda the safe insurance at kinda lower cost.

Matthew Perry
(bigfoot2) - F

ObamaCrap on 11/15/2013 16:24:44 MST Print View

Article:

http://www.libertynews.com/2013/11/breaking-news-republican-led-u-s-house-of-representatives-passes-obamacare-fix-for-people-whose-insurance-has-been-cancelled-due-to-obamacare/

"Yesterday, Barack Hussein Obama promised an invalid, non-binding, entirely voluntarily, Unconstitutional Presidential “fix” for people who’ve lost their insurance due to Obamacare.

Today, the GOP-led U.S. House of Representatives passed a legislative solution for people whose insurance has been cancelled due to Obamacare’s overreaching medical regulations, reports Fox News.

According to the Fox report, the House bill allows “insurance companies to sell the old plans to customers who previously had them, as well as new customers for another year.”

Contrarily, Obama’s declared Presidential “fix” only applies to customers who were enrolled in their terminated plans “before the cancellation notices went out.”

Whether the Senate will adopt the House plan or not remains to be seen. An even bigger hurdle to overcome than the Senate will be the President himself.

During yesterday’s press conference, Obama indicated that he’s opposed to the House bill’s contents and vows to veto it if the Senate decides to pass its own version of it.

Yet, Speaker John Boehner (R-OH) expressed his doubts of the Constitutionality and efficacy of Team Obama’s proposed executive “fix,” stating that he is, “highly skeptical that they can do this administratively.”

The House measure passed 261-157, which includes the support of 39 Democrats"

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Re: Loyal on 11/15/2013 16:52:05 MST Print View

Oregon has zero sign-ups, but my income is slightly above the level where I qualify for the tax credit, so I can just sign up with the insurance company directly

I asked them to send me the forms but they didn't. I asked again, maybe this time they will. Shows that both government and private companies can be frustrating to deal with.

But, because of Obamacare, my new policiy will be better. Primarily, I don't have to worry about pre-existing conditions. If I'm unhappy with this company, or I want to move to another state, I can just sign up with a different company.

I'm fairly objective because I just stated the facts rather than quoting propoganda from right wing propoganda sources.

I think this most recent House vote is the 48th vote to repeal Obamacare, but it's a bit subtle.

Matthew Perry
(bigfoot2) - F

ObamaCrap on 11/15/2013 17:23:49 MST Print View

o

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Re: Re: Loyal on 11/15/2013 18:15:51 MST Print View

oops - I lied

todays House vote wasn't the 48th vote to repeal Obamacare

it was only the 47th

you better impeach me : )

David Olsen
(oware)

Locale: Steptoe Butte
WA state's 1st report on ACA on 11/15/2013 18:25:48 MST Print View

"Though the first months’ numbers are small, the hard data in Washington’s report will attract attention from those wondering how the new system is being received, and how well it may work in the end:

• 21,671 completed their application to buy a health insurance plan, but have not yet submitted their payment.

• 72,136 are partway though the application process, but have not made final decisions about which plan to buy.

• 1,516 paid for a new insurance plan and either did not qualify for a tax credit to reduce their premium, or did not seek financial help.

• 4,835 paid for a new plan and did qualify for a tax credit. The credits are available up to 400 percent of federal poverty level (annual income of $45,960 for one person, $94,200 for a family of four).

• The paid-up customers divided this way, by age: 18-25, 5 percent; 26-34, 18 percent; 35-44, 19 percent; 45-54, 20 percent; 55-64, 37 percent.

• 64 percent of the completed purchases were for a Silver plan covering 70 percent of average medical needs. Gold plans, covering 80 percent, attracted only 16 percent of buyers. Bronze plans, covering 60 percent, attracted 21 percent.

• 57 percent of the enrollments, for both Medicaid and purchased insurance, were from women.

"

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2013/nov/15/report-details-health-reforms-reception-in/

Matthew Perry
(bigfoot2) - F

ObamaCrap on 11/15/2013 20:56:28 MST Print View

t

C'mon, people...wake up! Our founding fathers fought a war over a 2% tax on their breakfast beverage for cryin' out loud.
Sheep. Sheep everywhere.
M

Edited by bigfoot2 on 11/15/2013 20:57:12 MST.

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Re: ObamaCrap on 11/15/2013 22:19:26 MST Print View

I know you're just into the "clever posters", but

The Tea Act imposed a tax just on tea that businessmen imported from the Dutch, and was designed to rescue the British East India company, who didn't have to pay the tax, at the expense of local tea companies. And it was imposed by the British that we had no vote on.

The Obamacare mandate was passed by congress which we voted in, not the British that we have no vote for.

It's not to rescue the East India Company at the expense of local tea companies. It's to encourage people to buy health insurance - a Republican, Mitt Romney, Heritage Foundation idea - until Obama agreed to it because the Republicans are against anything Obama is for.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tea_Act has a pretty good description

Justin Baker
(justin_baker) - F

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA
Re: Re: ObamaCrap on 11/15/2013 23:56:38 MST Print View

"encourage" is an interesting way of putting it...

Ken Miller
(Powderpiggy)

RomneyCare on 11/16/2013 10:24:29 MST Print View

It's interesting that the Presidents loyal lemmings now like to backstop ObamaCare with comparisons to the health care law passed in Mass. I guess even the most devout followers find it hard to blame Bush, so why not make ObamaCare out to be a conservative's idea.

Well a few facts that refute such a connection.

The law passed in MA. was totally bi-partisan and was created through normal legislative processes with negotiations on both sides. No party had total control to ram anything thru.

ObamaCare is the result of a bastardized legislative process with no, nada, input from the minority party.

Pelosi had a 2 to 1 majority in the House, the legislation didn't even start in committees. It was a product of Pelosi and a chosen few democrats crafting it behind doors with guidance from the WH. Pelosi used her power to prevent all republican amendments and the legislation passed on strictly partisan lines.

Meanwhile, Reid is generating a Senate version in closed quarters. Since democrats had a filibuster proof 60 seat majority, no republican amendments were accepted. The bill based on a strictly partisan line.

Normally the House and Senate version would go to committee for reconciliation into a final version supported by both houses. This never happened.

In the meantime, Scott Brown wins the vacated seat from Ted Kennedy in MA. Reid now has lost his filibuster proof majority in the Senate. Hence republicans now have a means to influence the final product using filibuster as a tool for debate and amendments.

So, the democrats are screwed, falling public opinion in the polls causes Pelosi to use a little know procedural technique to "deem" the Senate version to have passed the House. She is afraid to have her colleagues be forced to vote for it again with the upcoming 2010 elections.

So tell me again how this POS incorporates conservative ideas.

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Re: RomneyCare on 11/16/2013 11:51:02 MST Print View

yes, Obamacare had no Republicans voting for it

but the Republicans won't vote for anything that the Democrats are for, by definition

so, should the Democrats just sit there and cry? or should they try their best to get something done?

Matthew Perry
(bigfoot2) - F

ObamaCrap on 11/16/2013 11:54:13 MST Print View

That bitter aftertaste…

k

Edited by bigfoot2 on 11/16/2013 11:55:26 MST.

Ken Miller
(Powderpiggy)

Elevated to Prophet on 11/16/2013 12:03:11 MST Print View

First President of Chaff,

Next Minister of Reason

and now

Carnac The Magnificent

Wouldn't you say it's a little hard for republicans to vote with democrats when they are excluded from the process.

More elitist logic and paternalism, the end justifies the means.

Jennifer Mitol
(Jenmitol) - M

Locale: In my dreams....
I'm actually pretty excited on 11/16/2013 12:13:31 MST Print View

I've wanted for a long time to be an independent contractor of sorts...a freelance writer, clinician, teacher, etc. But I've never been able to do it because I have a pre-existing condition and have been turned down by every single insurance company I've ever tried to get a policy from. Not, boy this is expensive!, just no thanks, we have nothing to offer you.

But now, thanks to Obamacare, I can get a 70/30 plan from Blue Cross/Blue Shield, multi-state, PPO...for HALF of what I paid through my employer before. Yes, HALF of my contribution to the employer plan buys me my own, portable insurance company! They can't kick me off if I make a claim, the can't charge me more because I got sick when I was 19 (but I am not sick now...just that I MIGHT be sick again later...)

I make too much money for subsidies...so none of your tax dollars are helping me do a darned thing. My policy is all of $256 a month. That's it. And no one asked any personal questions on the website, I didn't have to give any information other than my age and state. That's it.

So I'm sorry, but I'm one happy camper. Now I never need to rely on someone else to provide me with health insurance...I can get it myself. Which means I can now follow my professional dreams and make money how I want to - and I am no longer beholden to a large corporation. Sounds quite a bit like freedom to me.

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Re: Elevated to Prophet on 11/16/2013 12:16:35 MST Print View

It's ironic that the original tea party was formed because a big corporation got special tax breaks.

The current tea party says their #1 priority is to prevent Obama from getting anything done and make ceremonial votes against Obamacare or making abortion illegal or gay marriage illegal, but I think their real #1 priority is to preserve all those tax loopholes for corporations and super wealthy - the exact opposit of the original tea party.

Ken Miller
(Powderpiggy)

Congratulations on 11/16/2013 12:26:26 MST Print View

Good luck on your new endeavor and much success to carve out your own future. So many are afraid to venture out from underneath the protections of a corporate gig.

It will be interesting to see how you feel about regulations and taxes in few years after being an independent business. Of course, it is better in Texas thanks to Rick Perry.

Jerry, your tea party stuff is borderline crazy. Don't let such a small group of people dominate your thinking and behavior.