Who is signing up for ObamaCare (aka ACA) on Tuesday?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Fred Thorp
(BFThorp) - F
Re: Re: Who is signing up for ObamaCare (aka ACA) on Tuesday?" on 10/11/2013 14:49:26 MDT Print View

"okay, let us now unite against political contributions that have created the best government money can buy..."

Very tea party-ish

Jennifer Mitol
(Jenmitol) - M

Locale: In my dreams....
Re: Who is signing up for ObamaCare (aka ACA) on Tuesday?" on 10/11/2013 15:01:09 MDT Print View

Ok...I'll admit to falling in the trap of arguing with kitchen tables. I get so frustrated sometimes at the absolute misinformation out there, floating around, that no one feels should be addressed. And I'll also admit that sometimes I get caught up in the exchange and come off a bit boorish.

Granted this video was from the bill maher show, but it's pretty scary actually:
http://t.mediaite.com/mediaite/#!/entry/bill-maher-proves-that-new-yorkers-know-nothing-about-obamacare,524f7904aa4ed386626ee2c6/2

And Matt, I apologize if I took your quotes out of context, but this was what I was referring to:
"Just look at who will run it and enforce it. Check out the VA for a good idea of what's to come. Wasn't aware we needed to list sources for opinions given. OK---my source is (drum roll, please)..... Matt Perry and his opinion. LOL"

The second part of my comment about sources was derived from your "not trusting" the local NBC station who reported the park rangers were there to let in the Honor Flight veterans. Despite the fact that the reporter witnessed the scene. You said you preferred the article that you cited....which was an interview with a GOP congressman in his office.

So I will eat crow if you generally "trust" revered institutions like the New York Times, Wall Street Journal, ABC, NBC and CBS, the Washington Post, etc.

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: Re: Re: Who is signing up for ObamaCare (aka ACA) on Tuesday?" on 10/11/2013 15:01:31 MDT Print View

"okay, let us now unite against political contributions that have created the best government money can buy..."

Very tea party-ish"

Maybe the Tea Party was originally populist

The Republicans are one of the groups behind this most recent Supreme Court case to allow even more money into politics.

Individual citizens that call themselves Tea Party may be opposed to excessive political contributions.

Ken Miller
(Powderpiggy)

Locale: Colorado
Bill Maher on 10/11/2013 15:09:01 MDT Print View

Wow this dude is creepy. He reminds me of a mortician with that 80's hair style.

Talk about hateful people, the man has no match.

A true liberal elitist who's ego is much larger than his brain.

Edited by Powderpiggy on 10/11/2013 15:15:25 MDT.

Fred Thorp
(BFThorp) - F
Re: Re: Re: Re: Who is signing up for ObamaCare (aka ACA) on Tuesday?" on 10/11/2013 15:09:49 MDT Print View

Jerry if we reduce the fed to its original intent, contributions would dry up essentially.

Let's kill two birds at once.

Edited by BFThorp on 10/11/2013 15:12:15 MDT.

Richard May
(richardmay)

Locale: Costa Rica
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Who is signing up for ObamaCare (aka ACA) on Tuesday?" on 10/11/2013 15:21:36 MDT Print View

> Jerry if we reduce the fed to its original intent, contributions would dry up essentially.

I will admit this might be interesting as it would decimate the military and our standing military around the world. But then so much money is wrapped around the business of killing I don't think it's possible.

I do believe that was one of the great debates at one time... Should we even have a standing army?

The US alone represents 39% of military spending in the world.

And there goes the thread... again. :P

Edited by richardmay on 10/11/2013 15:25:13 MDT.

Dave Stoller
(BreakingAway)
Ocare on Tuesday? on 10/11/2013 15:36:39 MDT Print View

"Ok...I'll admit to falling in the trap of arguing with kitchen tables. I get so frustrated sometimes at the absolute misinformation out there, floating around, that no one feels should be addressed."

My sentiments exactly.

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Who is signing up for ObamaCare (aka ACA) on Tuesday?" on 10/11/2013 15:37:43 MDT Print View

"Jerry if we reduce the fed to its original intent, contributions would dry up essentially."

There was no one original intent. Different founders had different opinions. Many of the same issues as today.

Some problems like national defense or reducing polution require a government - everyone needs to contribute. If some people don't contribute, they will benefit from others.

Since some government is required, you have to control corruption. You can't just eliminate government so it doesn't matter.

We could have a discussion about how much government we should have, like maybe we're spending too much on social security, Medicare, Medicade, and now Obamacare.

Fred Thorp
(BFThorp) - F
TJ on 10/11/2013 15:59:57 MDT Print View

“I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”

Thomas Jefferson

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Coast
Re: Ocare on Tuesday? on 10/11/2013 16:28:38 MDT Print View

""Ok...I'll admit to falling in the trap of arguing with kitchen tables. I get so frustrated sometimes at the absolute misinformation out there, floating around, that no one feels should be addressed."

My sentiments exactly."

Me too!!
Look, we all agree on something :)

Richard May
(richardmay)

Re: Ocare on Tuesday? on 10/11/2013 16:32:00 MDT Print View

> Look, we all agree on something :)

> gasp <

Can we remedy this aberration?

Tim Zen
(asdzxc57) - F

Locale: MI
Re: TJ on 10/11/2013 17:00:30 MDT Print View

“I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”

And TJ didn't waste the labor of any of his slaves while he was taking care of them.

Matthew Perry
(bigfoot2) - F

Locale: Oregon
Who is signing up for ObamaCare (aka ACA) on Tuesday?" on 10/11/2013 17:11:17 MDT Print View

"“I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”

And TJ didn't waste the labor of any of his slaves while he was taking care of them."

And a Republican president freed them. Doesn't make the statement untrue. What's your point?

Dr. Ben Carson on Obamacare:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNTuIxLXAo8

M

Edited by bigfoot2 on 10/11/2013 17:35:31 MDT.

Anthony Weston
(anthonyweston) - MLife

Locale: Southern CA
obamacare on 10/11/2013 17:54:15 MDT Print View

I used the obamacare calc on the website before it went live and I would have to pay
double almost $6000 a year more for my family of 4. I currently have insurance through my employer so I hope that holds out. My daughter told me that we should pay for those who can't afford insurance so I asked her to pay for mine but she said "No". So I guess she is in favor of it as long as I'm the one paying.

I will probably drop my insurance altogether and hope we stay healthy and try and wait it out until they find a way for prices to come down.

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Coast
Herd acceptance on 10/11/2013 18:10:30 MDT Print View

Here is my attempt:

Toby Keith's songs scare me. Crowds that cheer and cry listening to his " Courtesy of the Red White and Blue" give me the goose bumps.

There.

Richard May
(richardmay)

Re: obamacare on 10/11/2013 18:58:08 MDT Print View

Hey Anthony, what calc did you use?

I finally got in and registered but was told that they'd have to get back to me on it... well, considering how bizzarely abnormal our lives are right now I'm not surprised.... I guess it's not one that the normal spreadsheet can process now. I presume I get to talk to a human. Tee-hee!

So, in the mean time I used this one at the Kaiser foundation to get an estimate:
http://kff.org/interactive/subsidy-calculator

My wife gets insurance so for my son and I the estimate was $5250 gross and $3711 annually after subsidies.

Anthony Weston
(anthonyweston) - MLife

Locale: Southern CA
o on 10/11/2013 19:37:52 MDT Print View

I went in before it offically opened a few weeks ago.

Matthew Perry
(bigfoot2) - F

Locale: Oregon
Who is signing up for ObamaCare (aka ACA) on Tuesday?" on 10/14/2013 05:37:15 MDT Print View

Just got my first taste of what Obamacare will be like for me. My open enrollment is going on right now at work and I now have less coverage, MUCH higher co-pays, more lifetime caps and the whole thing is more than double what I was paying. Guess i'm one of the lucky ones who gets to keep his insurance plan (but can't afford it). Thanks, Obama. Like we all needed this....

M

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Re: Who is signing up for ObamaCare (aka ACA) on Tuesday?" on 10/14/2013 07:54:51 MDT Print View

Health care costs have been trnding upward for many years

Your health care at work has nothing to do with Obamacare

Nice that you can take a cheap shot against Obamacare.

Dave Stoller
(BreakingAway)
Who is signing up for ObamaCare (aka ACA) on Tuesday? on 10/14/2013 08:14:36 MDT Print View

Jerry -

You're 100% wrong about that.

Obamacare places all kinds of requirements on ALL insurance companies. These requirements cost money.

The misinformation thrown about is so discouraging.