Forum Index » Chaff » Who is signing up for ObamaCare (aka ACA) on Tuesday?

Display Avatars Sort By:
jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: Re: Re: Who is signing up for ObamaCare (aka ACA) on Tuesday? on 09/30/2013 11:01:16 MDT Print View

"I just wish the Republicans could actually be conservatives again, instead of... whatever the hell they are now. "The Big Corporation Party?" What?"

Democrats are also the Big Corporation party

we're screwed until we get rid of legalized bribes to politicians, and it'll be hard to do this because any politician that pushes this won't get re-elected

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Re: re: Who is signing up for ObamaCare (aka ACA) on Tuesday? on 09/30/2013 11:05:54 MDT Print View

"As far as the 30 hour rule goes, it's not a myth and it's not hyperbole. There are people, like my brother-in-law, who have already had their hours cut in anticipation of the ACA mandate."

Since Obama-care hasn't taken effect yet, anyone that says they've cut people to less than 30 hours is just mything and hyperbolizing : )

Wait a year and then do a statistical analysis, not anecdotes

Dean F.
(acrosome) - MLife

Locale: Back in the Front Range
Twice in one day? on 09/30/2013 11:07:49 MDT Print View

What the hell, Jerry? Twice in one day? Didn't I once post a huge rant in chaff about the initiative to amend the Constitution to declare that money is not free speech?

Citizens United v FEC was the worst Supreme Court decision since... hell, Plessy v Fergusun? Maybe I can bump it up to 1944: Korematsu v U.S.

Maybe that's my problem- I'm a conservative but not a corporatist, so I don't fit in anywhere. When forced to, I've occasionally described myself as a "Schwartzenegger Republican"- meaning very green, with somewhat of a libertarian streak on social issues, but fiscally conservative. It's that last- coupled with a sense of compassion that prevents me from just letting people suffer and die en mass- that bring me to support some form of universal healthcare coverage. But I admit, I have my issues with ACA. Current plan = far from perfect.

Edited by acrosome on 09/30/2013 11:16:16 MDT.

Tim Zen
(asdzxc57) - F

Locale: MI
Re: Re: re: Who is signing up for ObamaCare (aka ACA) on Tuesday? on 09/30/2013 11:21:46 MDT Print View

There was a news story about Trader Joe's regarding part time employees.

And now for an anecdotal story. I have heard no one in GOP controlled congressional districts is going to sign up for ACA.

Richard May
(richardmay)

Locale: Costa Rica
Re: Twice in one day? on 09/30/2013 11:29:01 MDT Print View

> But I admit, I have my issues with ACA. Current plan = far from perfect.

It think it's the beauty of a democracy that the plan does not need to be perfect. It will be worked on, degraded and improved by future generations responding to whatever their needs are then. For now this is what we've got. It's a whole lot better than what was. If nothing else, it's an honest attempt to address a serious problem... that's more than has ever been done before.

Considering how difficult it is to address such far-reaching and important issues (think education) I say that we've got to give this idea a chance to play itself out.

> And now for an anecdotal story. I have heard no one in GOP controlled
> congressional districts is going to sign up for ACA.

Maybe with the monies levied from penalties there should be a Fed Owned Insurance Company to provide insurance for those who refused to buy it. That would REALLy piss them off. :D

Edited by richardmay on 09/30/2013 11:33:02 MDT.

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Re: Twice in one day? on 09/30/2013 11:38:08 MDT Print View

ha, ha, ha. Yes, I know Citizen's United is one of your issues. I agree with conservatives all the time, like talking about gun control is a waste of time and counter-productive.

I'm for liberal things that work and conservative things that work

The Obama-care mandates was proposed by conservatives like the Heritage Foundation when Clinton was pushing a health care solution

Now that Obama has proposed it, conservatives are against it

I think these people in power that call themselves "conservative" are just political - want to push through things that will enrich themselves. Sort of like a "Sopranos" crime family that take advantage of any opportunity that presents itself and don't care about the collateral damage.

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: re: Who is signing up for ObamaCare (aka ACA) on Tuesday? on 09/30/2013 11:40:12 MDT Print View

" I have heard no one in GOP controlled congressional districts is going to sign up for ACA."

No one?

If I can find one person in a GOP controlled district will you apologize for mything and hyberbolizing?

Wait a second - you're a plant throwing me softballs : )

Dean F.
(acrosome) - MLife

Re: Re: Twice in one day? on 09/30/2013 11:48:22 MDT Print View

RE: "Maybe with the monies levied from penalties there should be a Fed Owned Insurance Company to provide insurance for those who refused to buy it. That would REALLy piss them off. :D"

But the "public option" was removed at Republican insistence. Which in principle I have no issue with, but yet again the Republicans annoyed the living hell out of me with the contradictory arguments they used. First they argued that government is inherently inefficient and that thus any public healthcare plan would be expensive while providing poor service, thus wasting taxpayer money, etc. But at the same time they argued that a public option would compete with private insurance companies too much and drive them out of business.

So which is it? Would a public option be competitive or not? You can't argue BOTH.

Petulant jackasses. :)

Edited by acrosome on 09/30/2013 11:51:33 MDT.

Sharon J.
(squark) - F

Locale: SF Bay area
keep it chaffy on 09/30/2013 11:51:06 MDT Print View

http://www.theonion.com/articles/man-who-understands-8-of-obamacare-vigorously-defe,34022/

Dean F.
(acrosome) - MLife

Re: Re: Twice in one day? on 09/30/2013 11:56:19 MDT Print View

Re: "It think it's the beauty of a democracy that the plan does not need to be perfect. It will be worked on, degraded and improved by future generations responding to whatever their needs are then."

Uh. What I said... :)

HK Newman
(hknewman) - MLife

Locale: Western US
Re: Re: Re: Re: re: Who is signing up for ObamaCare (aka ACA) on Tuesday? on 09/30/2013 12:11:48 MDT Print View

Each US state is different (some not even allowing their employees to assist their citizens), so it may help to use an online ACA calculator from a major insurer and health.gov to get a "warm fuzzy" about your particular situation. Then you need to talk to an insurer in your own state.

Long term, more will be on an exchange regardless now major employers are going to an ACA or ACA-like exchange in the next few years , probably in an effort to control their employee health costs,...

Page 2 of .... http://www.marketwatch.com/story/10-things-health-exchanges-wont-tell-you-2013-09-27?pagenumber=2 Some other good info from a major financial website.

Edit: br.

Edited by hknewman on 09/30/2013 16:12:14 MDT.

Tim Zen
(asdzxc57) - F

Locale: MI
Re: Re: Re: Re: re: Who is signing up for ObamaCare (aka ACA) on Tuesday? on 09/30/2013 12:20:36 MDT Print View

>>
If I can find one person in a GOP controlled district will you apologize for mything and hyberbolizing?

Well, less than the number of voters it will take to unseat them.

But I can only assume the majority of voters in those districts all have health-care and don't want ACA.

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Locale: PNW
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: re: Who is signing up for ObamaCare (aka ACA) on Tuesday? on 09/30/2013 12:25:28 MDT Print View

""Truthiness" is a good word- hopefully you understand what you just said, because that would be quite droll. :)"

Wow! Yes, even out here in bum-f*&%ed Eastern Washington, we get the Colbert Report.

"Since Obama-care hasn't taken effect yet, anyone that says they've cut people to less than 30 hours is just mything and hyperbolizing : )

Wait a year and then do a statistical analysis, not anecdotes"

Jerry,

If I have personal knowledge of one case where a person's hours have been reduced in anticipation of ACA, yes it's anecdotal but it's not a myth. I think you're being a little ambitious that anyone will be able to say ACA was a hit or a dud in a year. Decade maybe but not in a year.

Secondly, It's well within my rights to question and scrutinize a piece of legislation as important as this. Just because I'm criticizing certain aspects of it and expressing my doubts does not make me a Kool-Aid drinking Republican; it makes me a responsible citizen.

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Re: keep it chaffy on 09/30/2013 12:27:47 MDT Print View

Viva La Onion Sharon! Love it.

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: re: Who is signing up for ObamaCare (aka ACA) on Tuesday? on 09/30/2013 13:09:59 MDT Print View

you're right, decade rather than year

and you make good points, I should probably put in a few more happy faces or [/sarcasm]s

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: re: Who is signing up for ObamaCare (aka ACA) on Tuesday? on 09/30/2013 13:39:21 MDT Print View

"and you make good points, I should probably put in a few more happy faces or [/sarcasm]s"

Nah. I'm a bit crabby this morning. Sorry if that came across edgy.

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: re: Who is signing up for ObamaCare (aka ACA) on Tuesday? on 09/30/2013 15:17:34 MDT Print View

This is no good

Can't we call each other names or something? USE ALL CAPS MAYBE?

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest/Sierra
Re: Twice in one day? on 09/30/2013 17:49:59 MDT Print View

"But I admit, I have my issues with ACA. Current plan = far from perfect."

+1

So, why not just enroll everyone in Medicare?

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Re: Re: Twice in one day? on 09/30/2013 17:54:51 MDT Print View

Medicare for all would have been much better.

But there weren't enough politicians willing to vote for that.

Dave Stoller
(BreakingAway)
ObamaCare on 09/30/2013 22:52:11 MDT Print View

*"But the "public option" was removed at Republican insistence. Which in principle I have no issue with, but yet again the Republicans annoyed the living hell out of me with the contradictory arguments they used. First they argued that government is inherently inefficient and that thus any public healthcare plan would be expensive while providing poor service, thus wasting taxpayer money, etc. But at the same time they argued that a public option would compete with private insurance companies too much and drive them out of business.

So which is it? Would a public option be competitive or not? You can't argue BOTH.

Petulant jackasses. :)"

Actually these arguments dovetail quite well. It's very possible, likely even, for a government entity to be inefficient, expensive, of poor quality and wasteful. A government entity can also run deficits covered by taxpayer subsidy indefinitely, making it very hard for the private sector to compete.

What am I missing?

*The "Public Option' was not removed from the ACA negotiations at the insistence of the Republicans. The "Public Option" was removed to secure the votes of Democrat senators. They didn't need anything from the Republicans and didn't seek any input from the Republicans. Also recall that ObamaCare was never voted on by the House. Unprecedented. Imagine the howls in the media if a Republican majority ever tried that trick!

*Also, for the record, we have health care tied to employment (which is a lousy system) thanks to wage controls instituted by a previous Democratic administration. So, thanks for that.

*Jennifer - Not sure if I'm reading your post correctly but is it your opinion that a person should ensure he/she has earned enough to avoid receiving an ObamaCare subsidy prior to embarking on the PCT or would you be willing for that person to accept a taxpayer subsidy?

*BTW - What we're taking about is not insurance. It's income redistribution to pay medical expenses. I suppose "income redistribution" is a loaded phrase that makes the Left very defensive but I can't think of a better term.

*Speaking of income redistribution ObamaCare smacks young well people to pay for sick elderly people. It will be interesting to see if the youngsters figure that out.

*I know of a company that paid for ALL the healthcare needs of their employees and their families without any deductions or copays. Obama derisively refers to this type of healthcare coverage as a "Cadillac" plan. A punitive tax on this type of plan was included in ObamaCare. Therefore the company was forced to reduce benefits enough to fall under the "Cadillac" threshold which resulted in copays and payroll withholdings for the employees. Probably doesn't hurt management much but I imagine it was quite a hit for line workers. Not a myth and not anecdotal.

*I don't understand the line of thinking whereby we take 20% of the economy that affects every single person living here and decide to play around with it to see what happens. That's dumb. Wouldn't it have been better to work around the edges and slowly improve the old system?

*It's easy to imagine that Dem leadership doesn't care if ObamaCare tanks because the next stop on the line is Single-Payer. They've said as much.

*The problem with Medicare-for-all is Medicare is heavily subsidized by private care. If everyone had Medicare who would subsidize that?

Edited by BreakingAway on 09/30/2013 22:57:32 MDT.