Shelter Recommendation
Display Avatars Sort By:
Eric Blumensaadt
(Danepacker) - MLife

Locale: Mojave Desert
TT Moment DW & Big Sky Revolution 1P on 09/28/2013 21:57:02 MDT Print View

For winter I still prefer the TT Moment DW over the Revolution 1P for the Moment's low end vents and the fly bottom being closer to the ground to keep out snow. Henry Shires has venting well done on his newer tents and venting in winter is very important.

That said the Revolution 1P would make a good solo winter tent as well.

Christopher Graf
(cgraf) - M

Locale: So Cal
"Shelter Recommendation" on 09/29/2013 16:29:29 MDT Print View

+1 Big Sky Revolution 1P.....

I use the BS Rev 1P w/ optional Breathable Fabric inner and the inner does a very good job of blocking wind. The canopy is a double door/vestibule design and the crossing poles create an incredibly easy to set up shelter. Though I haven't used this in light snow load conditions I confident it would preform very well.....it also has two additional guyout points midway up the end panels for use in very windy conditions.

Big Sky quality is on par with that of MLD and other high end manufacturers.....

Dean F.
(acrosome) - MLife

Locale: Back in the Front Range
Moment on 09/30/2013 08:36:43 MDT Print View

I've never used a Big Sky product, since they were having delivery difficulties around the time I was in the market for a shelter. But I've heard good things, so if you have deep pockets are really want freestanding it may be the way to go.

But "free-standing" is a con! It's a marketing gimmick. Or, at best, a "feature" aimed at the inexperienced and gullible. There is a technical term for a free-standing tent in a high wind: "box kite." Thus it will head for the horizon if not staked down, so it will need stakes anyway. A non-free-standing tent merely collapses if a critical stake fails, and flutters around on the ground a bit or gets caught in the nearest bush, but generally won't set off for Nebraska in the way that a kite-tent will. (But I did once run into a guy here on BPL who insisted that he hikes on featureless rock plains. I'm not sure where he finds those...)

I HAVE owned one of the older 1.5-walled Moments, and liked it a lot, though I eventually went 'mid in a fit of simplification. It's not freestanding (except "sort of" with the optional longitudinal pole) but everyone who insists upon a freestanding tent is sort of having an error-in-concept, anyway.

So, I will say this:

For a non-tarp the Moment is conceptually about the simplest tent I've ever used, and ABSOLUTELY the quickest to erect. It only uses two stakes (minimum), so you just stake one end, insert the pole, then tension and stake the other end. Poof- erected. It's never taken me more than 90 seconds, and not infrequently less than 60. Finding stake-out points in precisely the correct spots can be challenging for a dome tent or even a 'mid on some ground, but where are you never going to find TWO? For that matter you would only rarely even need stakes at all, since you could bring slightly longer lines and reasonably expect to always find a couple of trees, bushes, or rocks to tie off to.

In any conditions where the Moment would need more than two stakes, ANY other tent would need extra guys, too, including an ostensibly "free standing" one.

Edited by acrosome on 09/30/2013 08:44:11 MDT.

Ultralite Hiker
(Ultralite) - F
Re: Moment on 09/30/2013 08:52:16 MDT Print View

Thanks for your comments Dean, although I disagree that freestanding is a con or marketing gimmick aimed at the inexperienced. I have used many many shelters. I am currently using a customized Hexamid Solo+ for 60-70% of my trips. I can see a few benefits to free standing.

First, I would never use a tent without staking it down, that is not the point of freestanding.

Here are the advantages I see:

1. Site Selection - I can pitch it, lay down, move it, stake it. I have also had many cases where stakes could not be inserted into the ground (granite) and had to move it or find rocks.

2. Removing Debris - I can lift the tent, shake it to clean it out. Not really necessary, but nice.

3. Won't Collapse from a Single Stake/Guy Failure - If the ridgeline stake/guy line fails on my Hexamid, it is game over. Not so on a freestanding. I have time to get out, restake it, and go back to bed.

4. Better wet snow load.

Christopher Graf
(cgraf) - M

Locale: So Cal
"Shelter Recommendation" on 10/01/2013 09:15:27 MDT Print View

"But "free-standing" is a con! It's a marketing gimmick. Or, at best, a "feature" aimed at the inexperienced and gullible."

Disagree......I've used for the last 5+ years a Cuben MLD Grace Solo Tarp paired with a SL Bivy with full head net extensively (and still do). This was my shelter system of choice while living in the PNW and stomping around in the Olympics. The softer ground was much more accepting of stakes which increased site selection opportunities.
Since moving to SoCal, I've found site selection/areas smaller and often rock strewn making stake insertion difficult. It is in areas like these that I find a shelter requiring minimal stakes beneficial.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
Re: Re: Moment on 10/01/2013 09:20:20 MDT Print View

Nm

Edited by FamilyGuy on 02/02/2014 08:05:53 MST.

Ultralite Hiker
(Ultralite) - F
Re: Re: Re: Moment on 10/01/2013 09:22:57 MDT Print View

I will concede that one, and maybe alter it to further iterate my point that you have less chance of catastrophic failure.

Franco Darioli
(Franco) - M

Locale: Melbourne
Shelter Recommendation on 10/01/2013 15:07:38 MDT Print View

In strong winds you are more likely to have a pole snap on a rigid structure (freestanding tent) than on a shelter designed to flex such as a tunnel or a hoop tent.
I find it funny how some rave about freestanding tents (advertised as "freestanding") that require 8-14 stakes to work correctly.
Always reminds me of Groucho Marx "who are you going to believe : me or your own eyes?"

BTW, just pile up some rocks over the ends of the Moment and it will stand up just as if you had stakes there (put something inbetween the tie=out lines and the rocks to avoid abrasion)
Then secure the guylines around a rock.
So no need for suitable soft ground in any particular spot.
Seam sealing a Moment in my bedroom :
Another brick on the Moment

marc D
(mareco) - M

Locale: Scotland
Shelter Recommendation on 10/01/2013 16:11:31 MDT Print View

"Won't Collapse from a Single Stake/Guy Failure "

Not only this, but with a freestanding tent you are less likely to have the stakes pulled out in the first instance. The stakes are generally doing less work.

On a non-freestanding tent, the stakes are having to tension the tent so that it stands up as well as resist wind loads.