Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
What packs do you like in the 35L range?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
Eric the pack fitter on 09/28/2013 14:02:08 MDT Print View

Nm

Edited by FamilyGuy on 02/02/2014 08:08:13 MST.

eric chan
(bearbreeder) - F
more and more on 09/28/2013 14:37:45 MDT Print View

Wait a minute. So he can or cannot fit all of this theoretical gear into a 35 L pack? Did you not previously post that he could get all that water and all that gear and food into a 35L pack? You are changing the parameters of your argument. Not to mention you keep editing your posts. Please stop doing this.

Answer my questions as to your backpacking history and your qualifications with respect to your experience ultralight backpacking. I would think if you don't backpack, don't ultralight backpack, haven't owned any of the cottage packs, have never used a frameless pack (quoting the excellent SOTM review...love it) for backpacking, and have never used a 35L pack for backpacking, then what qualifies you to answer the OPs question? Your replies to him suggest that he is new to UL backpacking. How do you know this? It is condescending at best and disingenuous at worst.

The OP asked, "Criteria are:
-30 to 40L range
-Weight under 2 pounds
-Hopefully can be found on sale for under $100; if I can get it used or on clearance for less, that's great
-Most of all, it's comfortable with a relatively heavy load for its size - water weighs a lot"

Eric, what packs have you used that would fit this criteria?

and you keep on bringing up things personal attacks from other threads david ... pot calling the kettle black now

lets rehash ... the OP asked for

Given how much it sucks carrying even 4L of water and light snacks in the Flash 18, I'm interested in finding a pack that can do heavy-day-hike duty and some backpacking duty as well. A friend of mine has an Osprey Talon 33, which might fit the bill perfectly, but I'm wondering if there are any other packs out there that might suit my criteria.

Criteria are:
-30 to 40L range
-Weight under 2 pounds
-Hopefully can be found on sale for under $100; if I can get it used or on clearance for less, that's great
-Most of all, it's comfortable with a relatively heavy load for its size - water weighs a lot

youre the one who is bring up
-"6-8 L of water"
- "any frameless pack would work well"
- "multiway trek"

but since you want to know this is the pack i use in the ~30L range ...
-30L manuf specs
- 740 g
- i bought mine for 65$, its list price is 99$
- "comfort" is a relative term and VERY PERSONAL but i can carry a few liters of water, part of a rack, a light rope, ice axe, puffy, emergency gear, some food, and bivy gear if needed just fine ... my knees go before my back in any case with this pack

but im not saying the OP should get this pack ... he might need more volume, he might find it doesnt fit him, he might want different features ...

the ONLY real way to tell is to go out and try/use the pack ...

;)

Rick M
(rmjapan) - F

Locale: London, UK
Re: What packs do you like in the 35L range? on 09/28/2013 16:27:46 MDT Print View

Julian, if carrying lots of water best look for a FRAMED pack and the Osprey Exos series are the lightest weight framed packs I know of. Their open trampoline back panel is great for hot weather ventilation too.

I have both the 34l and 46l sizes but much prefer the 46l since the hipbelt is padded while the 34l hip belt is just mesh. Under heavy loads the 34l tends to slip down on me but it may just be a fit issue. Both have removeable top lids and great compression strap system for flexible capacity.

Julian Bender
(jbphilly) - F
packs on 09/29/2013 10:37:53 MDT Print View

Seems like the Talon 33, Exos 34 and Jam 35 would all be good options...the Exos 34, I noticed, is only 2oz heavier than the Talon 33 in the sizes I would get - is that all just the frame? If the hipbelt is just mesh as you say, perhaps they shaved some weight there to make up for adding a frame. The Jam could be really good too, although I've always wondered how much weight those packs are really meant to be comfortable with. Not to mention I hate the color.

Given that a friend has a Talon 33 though, I'll have to take that one out on a test hike. Unfortunately the selection of imported gear in Israel (much less the other countries) is pretty miserable, and comes with serious markups, so trying packs on isn't and option. And ultralight has never been heard of here...

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
Re: packs on 09/29/2013 11:10:04 MDT Print View

Nm

Edited by FamilyGuy on 02/02/2014 08:07:37 MST.

Charles G.
(Rincon) - M

Locale: Desert Southwest
Eric and Dave on 09/29/2013 11:32:24 MDT Print View

Please take your pissing contest somewhere else. I, for one, don't find it at all helpful or informative and I suspect that others on the forum don't either.

eric ortega
(electricrodeo86)

Locale: Bay Area, CA
Re: Re: packs on 10/04/2013 22:24:59 MDT Print View

Dude! Where'd you find a 35L in black???? Ive scoured the interweb for this bad boy! I hate that god awful pea green on the current model lol.