(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: Already Obsolete on 09/26/2013 22:33:12 MDT Print View

Squeeze only weighs 1 ounce more, so not really obsolete

John S.
(jshann) - F
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Mini on 09/26/2013 22:35:55 MDT Print View

From another thread.

"- Very light way to backflush in the field without syringe, using caps from Smartwater bottles, described at http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=78861

Answer: This will not give your enough pressure to really clean the filter."

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Locale: PNW
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Mini on 09/26/2013 22:48:03 MDT Print View

"Answer: This will not give your enough pressure to really clean the filter."

I'm going to have to respectfully disagree. I don't wait for the filter to become clogged and back flush the original Sawyer periodically to try and stay ahead of the game. Just using the unmodified cap creates a nearly perfect seal. When filtering this way with the mini, there was no risk of dirty water contaminating the clean.

I found that with the original squeeze and now the mini, the second cap with the blue spout removed is unnecessary; my original Sawyer squeeze has the "nipple." I exert a lot of pressure through both Sawyers with the Smartwater bottle when back flushing and feel no need to carry the syringe.

To each their own.

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Mini on 09/26/2013 23:05:13 MDT Print View

"Thanks. Doesn't that difference seem a little improbable?

I assume that the inside diameter of the two hoses are identical. That would make the clean end easier to pull off. Was that the intent?"

I doubt it. We're talking three thousandths of an inch. I would just chalk it up to manufacturing variations. You would want to put the "straw" on the dirty end drink directly from a water source, or from a container-- like your cook pot. The hose nipple on the dirt end only sticks out about 1/2"

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: Smartwater bottle on 09/26/2013 23:21:49 MDT Print View

Good tip on the Smartwater bottle. The syringe needs a fair amount of hand pressure to backflush and it's kind of clumsy-- you almost need three hands. I'll bet you can get better pressure against the hose nipple with the Smartwater bottle. I'll pick one up to try soon.

As to the Squeeze being obsolete: I don't think so at all. With the threads on both ends and the greater capacity, it lends itself to all kinds of setups and would be my first choice for a group or a gravity system. The Mini is lighter and more compact-- about the same as a Steripen. I think it is great for solo and day hikes.

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Re: Re: Smartwater bottle on 09/27/2013 01:55:35 MDT Print View

I re read this thread.. again..

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=78861

I understand the concerns and it's fair to say that using the Smartwater bottle to back flush is not a once size fits all solution. Where I hike, most of the water I drink doesn't need to be filtered in the first place but I do as an extra margin of safety. It's very clear with no visible algae.

For what I do, I can back flush the filter in the field with the Smartbottle and then hit it with the syringe before I store it after the hike. If I'm wrong, I suspect the worst I'll see is a slower flow rate. Even if the filter completely failed, I carry purification tablets for that contingency. If this was a $200 filter I'd probably be more anal but at $25.... meh!

Heath Poulter
(antitrust311) - F

Locale: Southwest
Re on 09/27/2013 10:06:19 MDT Print View

Newbie question here; I have been eyeballing the Sawyer mini for awhile and due to this thread I ordered one from Traildesigns.com. Are all the bags compatible with this newer smaller filter because I'd like to order some additional larger bags than the 16oz one that came with the filter but didn't want to pull the trigger until I knew for sure that they'd work with it. Thanks!

Jennifer Mitol
(Jenmitol) - M

Locale: In my dreams....
Re: Re on 09/27/2013 10:14:43 MDT Print View

Yep they are. So are the evernew bags as well as any standard soda/water bottle. I screwed my mini into an Aquafina bottle I had in the kitchen and it was a perfect fit. This new filter is sweet!

Heath Poulter
(antitrust311) - F

Re on 09/27/2013 10:34:41 MDT Print View

Great! Any usage tips. After my MSR miniworks failing in Glacier I am kinda miffed at that thing right now and am excited to use the Sawyer.

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: Re on 09/27/2013 10:56:19 MDT Print View

a certain vintage of Platypus bags presumably won't work - thread pitch is a little different - since it's plastic it bends so it sort of works but water leaks around threads

lots of threads about usage - make sure and backflush before and after every trip. I think soda or water bottle works better because you can put more pressure on it.

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Re: Re: Re on 09/27/2013 11:39:42 MDT Print View

I've been having problems with the original Sawyer's gasket. I really like using a PET bottle but I found that the gasket was becoming lodged in the neck of the bottle every time I used it. I switched to the Sawyer bags and the problem persisted. The gasket started deteriorating where dirty water was running into the clean and I eventually had to replace it. This was after using it less than 20 or 30 liters.

My next/current Sawyer had the same problem almost immediately. I compared how my gasket is seated in there compared to an unused one and I see no difference. I started having this problem when I used it with a PET bottle. I received a response from Sawyer; they said that this was due to me over tightening it. I didn't think I was but I'll go with it. I think the vacuum created using a PET bottle may be a contributing factor. I'll upload pictures later.

I looked at Lowes for a new gasket but couldn't find one. I ended up making a few spares to keep in my ditty bag; they're ugly as he!! but they seem to work. Sawyer is mailing me a new one.

From a customer service standpoint, they are bi polar. They were more than happy to send me a new gasket but historically their stance on failing bags or other issues is that it's the user's fault and there isn't a problem with their product. I agree that in general, UL equipment needs to be handled with care but it seems that the problem with the old bags wasn't user error across the board. For the record, I've only used the newer bags and haven't had a problem with them.

Seems like I'm the only one who's having a problem with the gasket so I'm more willing to take the blame for that.

Even with these issues, I still like it enough that I bought the mini. For $25 it's a small gamble.

I may return to the Steripen but the Sawyer is my go-to system for the time being.

I always carry iodine or chlorine dioxide regardless if I'm using the Steripen or Sawyer.

Edited by IDBLOOM on 09/27/2013 11:57:23 MDT.

Ryan Smith
(ViolentGreen) - F

Locale: Southeast
Re: Re: Re: Re on 09/27/2013 14:41:54 MDT Print View

Ian,

I was having the exact same problem with the gasket in my Squeeze. It was really annoying. Turns out I was actually over tightening it. That may not be the case with yours, but you might experiment with it. For mine, the point where I feel the first bit of tightness is perfect for a good seal that won't leak nor put the gasket in the neck of the bag. Previously I was turning it probably 2 turns further.

Excited for my Mini to arrive!

Ryan

Edited by ViolentGreen on 09/27/2013 14:43:12 MDT.

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

User error on 09/27/2013 15:30:50 MDT Print View

"Turns out I was actually over tightening it. That may not be the case with yours, but you might experiment with it."

If there were a dozen other threads on the gasket (like there is with the bags) then I'd be inclined to blame Sawyer. In this case I'm sure it was my fault.

Lesson learned.

John S.
(jshann) - F
Re: Re: Re: Re on 09/27/2013 16:46:25 MDT Print View

A2.3: Filter Application - Do not over tighten the filter on the pouch. Over tightening can cause the o-rings to embed into the threads or lodge into the opening of the pouch. If the o-ring is out of place you may not a have a tight seal and water could leak out the bottom of the filter. Please watch our video on Important Squeeze Filter Tips to better understand how to care for your squeeze bags. Until you learn the perfect balance of force and cleaning, we recommend bringing a backup pouch with you on your trip.

http://youtu.be/VDXUQcAS63A

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re on 09/27/2013 16:50:56 MDT Print View

Thanks for the link John.

steven franchuk
(Surf) - M
Re: q on 09/27/2013 17:53:51 MDT Print View

"I would much prefer to be able to screw something on both ends."

If I had designed it instead of the fittings it has I ould have put Luer lock fittings on both ends. Syringes have Luer lock fittings on the ends so IV lines or neddles can be attached. You can also buy hose barb to Luer lock fittings.

So if you need to backflush in the field simply twist the syring onto the one compatable fitting. If you want to hook up a hose for in line or gravity use, connect hose barb to Luer lock fittnigs to the filter. If you want to attach it to a bottle use a Luer Lock to thread adaptor (which sawyer would probably have to design). Or they coild put threads on the outside of the filter and then use a threaded male to male adaptor to attach the bottle to eh filter. Package all that up in one box with some 1/4" hose and you would have a very flexible setup that could be easily changed in the field.

Harris Goldstein
(hmgolds) - F

Locale: Minnesota
Gravity Flow on 10/07/2013 21:06:49 MDT Print View

Looks like a great option; especially for solo hiking.

I feel like I'm trying to "guild the lily", but can you get reasonable output by hanging a bottle with the mini attached and allowing it to flow (by gravity) into a container? Would you need a few feet of tubing between the dirty water bag and the filter?

Colin Krusor
(ckrusor) - M

Locale: Northwest US
Gravity on 10/07/2013 21:38:37 MDT Print View

Harris, a few feet of tubing between the filter and the clean water bag would work, too. As long as the tubing doesn't collapse, it will function the same way with the filter at the top end of the tubing or the bottom. The water flow rate through the filter will be the same in both configurations. I think the mini could be great for a setup like that.

Edited by ckrusor on 10/07/2013 21:40:34 MDT.

Heath Poulter
(antitrust311) - F

Re on 10/07/2013 22:45:05 MDT Print View

Colin, I did what you described with mine. I bought hose at Home depot to create a gravity rig that feeds my dromedary bag with and I just use that same piece of hose to backflush.

Harris Goldstein
(hmgolds) - F

Locale: Minnesota
Gravity Flow on 10/08/2013 07:49:46 MDT Print View

Great. Looks like epoxy a small piece of nylon tape to form a loop on the bag (for hanging), 2-3 ft of 5/16" tubing, and go-to-go.