Forum Index » Philosophy & Technique » PROFESSOR HIKE: TOP 10 BEGINNER HIKER BLUNDERS

Display Avatars Sort By:
jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: "ultra-light hiking should be a gradual goal " Or maybe not. on 10/23/2013 07:50:59 MDT Print View

"What is relative recently?

50 years? relatively speaking."

Ray Jardine came out with "Beyond Backpacking" in 1999

I replaced my 5 pound tent with a 3 pound tent before that and experimented with just using the fly. The grandma that did the AT was much before that. etc. but that's not as popular until after Jardine's book.

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: Re: "ultra-light hiking should be a gradual goal " Or maybe not. on 10/23/2013 09:52:51 MDT Print View

Some people were UL in the 70's and 80's and probably before. Backpacker had an UL article in the 80's. Colin Fletcher wrote about in the 80's in The Complete Walker III, calling it the New Wave. Jardine was late to the party but got credit and shekels ;)

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Re: Re: "ultra-light hiking should be a gradual goal " Or maybe not. on 10/23/2013 10:59:14 MDT Print View

"Backpacker had an UL article in the 80's. "

1982. That was a starting point for a lot of us.

--B.G.--

Dena Kelley
(EagleRiverDee) - M

Locale: Eagle River, Alaska
"PROFESSOR HIKE: TOP 10 BEGINNER HIKER BLUNDERS" on 10/23/2013 17:44:33 MDT Print View

"What is relative recently?

50 years? relatively speaking."

======

Research George W. Sears, AKA "Nessmuk". He was doing ultralight in the 1800's, and writing about it.

Desert Dweller
(Drusilla)

Locale: Wild Wild West
Beginner blunders on 10/24/2013 23:39:16 MDT Print View

Oldest ultralighter

These people were the original ULtra lighters! You can bet they only carried what they needed.

Anthony Weston
(anthonyweston) - MLife

Locale: Southern CA
more beginner blunders on 11/11/2013 23:29:55 MST Print View

more beginner blunders:

buying hiking boots the day before the trip and breaking them in on the trail.
I've worn trail runners now for so long I don't think of it but you still pass people hobbling with blisters on the trail.

putting the emergency reflective sack over the sleeping bag to stay warm and then drowding in condensation.

Bob Shaver
(rshaver) - F

Locale: West
my top 10 on 11/14/2013 16:42:11 MST Print View

1. taking too much gear: 6 full size bars of soap, lawn chair, machete, canned ham, all real examples.

2. wearing cotton. I used to do it in the Sierra, but learned in the Cascades of Washington that the weather would bite you someday.

3. brand new boots for a backpack

4. planning to hike too far

5. planning to hike too many miles for the wife to have fun, not smart.

6. forgetting stuff: sleeping bag, boots, flashlight, tent stakes, tent poles, food, raincoat. I've forgotten them all.

7. heading out when the weather report is bad, bad, bad. I've never gotten used to backpacking in steady rain.

8. getting lost. some preplanning by having maps, is a good idea

9. not bringing enough food. that is no fun to go to bed hungry, and marmots are harder to kill than you would think.

10. hiking with people with different agendas than you. Personality and control issues, sharing of duties, bad attitudes.

Piper S.
(sbhikes) - F

Locale: Santa Barbara (Name: Diane)
The one that blows my mind on 11/25/2013 12:15:32 MST Print View

One that I have heard of several times now but never seen myself, one that blows my mind, is people bringing from home all the water they will need for the entire trip.

Bily Ray
(rosyfinch) - M

Locale: the mountains
first trip blunders... on 11/25/2013 13:01:58 MST Print View

the two pound box of sugar was a mistake

and believing that two man freeze-dried dinners would feed two... :)

Billy