Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Cuben Fiber Question
Display Avatars Sort By:
David Brunstein
(ariztazer) - F
Cuben Fiber Question on 06/17/2007 19:12:04 MDT Print View

I finally found a seamstress to help me sew some DIY projects, but want to make sure I get the right materials before I jump in.

1) Qwest Outfitters offers two kinds/ styles of Cuben Fiber, .33 oz and .47 oz. Which weight is best for a tarptent?

2) The free online pattern for Henry Shire's tarptent appears to be an old style before the catenary cut. Is there a pattern available anywhere for a Squall or a Contrail - or any 1-person tarptent design with a catenary cut?

3) What would be good lightweight stays for a camp chair, similar to the Thermarest trekker? Is there an online source for carbon fiber stays? Would the BPL Titanium Alloy Ultrarods work as camp chair stays?

David Brunstein
(ariztazer) - F
Re: Cuben Fiber Question on 06/22/2007 21:55:10 MDT Print View

Frank Deland

Locale: On the AT in VA
The Black Cat Tarp on 06/26/2007 19:26:42 MDT Print View

Six Moon Designs has a pattern for a one person tarp tent with a catenary cut. Finished product with guy lines will weigh about 16 oz. It calls for lightweight webbing along the center seam. Another tarp on the web: The Black Cat

Edited by rambler on 06/26/2007 19:27:40 MDT.

Ross Bleakney
(rossbleakney) - MLife

Locale: Cascades
Re: Cuben Fiber Question on 06/28/2007 16:44:18 MDT Print View

As far as materials go, Ron Bell goes with an even heavier weight, 0.6 ( He is a very nice guy, so you might email him and ask how he got the stuff. By the way, MLD was planning on releasing a tarptent, but got too busy with everything else. I'm sure they will eventually make one, but you will probably beat them to it.