Forum Index » General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Survey for Outdoor Lovers

Display Avatars Sort By:
Valerie Boshoer
(malera)
Survey for Outdoor Lovers on 09/22/2013 11:17:54 MDT Print View

Dear Backpackinglight community,

My name is Valerie and currently I am an MBA student in Columbia University. I am huge fan of backpacking and any outdoor activities, so I have decided to research Backpacking market for one of my MBA classes. I would highly appreciate if some of you find 10 min of your time to help me with this survey. It is only 24 questions, but it will help me a lot to learn more about the Outdoor Market.

The survey is completely anonymous. https://columbia.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_cUYcyboQW1nUZSd

I would highly appreciate for any help!

Sincerely,
Valerie

Paul Wagner
(balzaccom) - F

Locale: Wine Country
survey on 09/22/2013 19:09:44 MDT Print View

I tried, Valerie.

But since I am 60 and not a hipster of any kind...and I live in California, your survey didn't give me some options.

And your questions about internet travel sources are badly written. As someone who writes surveys for real, I can tell you that you won't get very good information out of those questions...

Edited by balzaccom on 09/22/2013 19:11:24 MDT.

Max Dilthey
(mdilthey) - M

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com
Will Do on 09/22/2013 20:56:40 MDT Print View

Happy to help! Good luck!

I almost ended up at Columbia for a masters this year. Funny!

Steven Davis
(StevenDavisPhoto) - M

Locale: SF Bay Area
CA on 09/23/2013 00:06:18 MDT Print View

filling it out now. the state question seems to be messed up. i am from CA, but put "other"

Joseph Lynch
(rushfan) - M

Locale: Northern California
not ready for prime time on 09/23/2013 00:18:37 MDT Print View

I had technical problems that prevented me from finishing the survey.

Dena Kelley
(EagleRiverDee) - M

Locale: Eagle River, Alaska
"Survey for Outdoor Lovers" on 09/23/2013 11:12:18 MDT Print View

I had no problems doing the survey however I agree with the former poster that your classification of "hipster" etc. was limiting. I didn't fall into any of the categories you have, you should at least put an "other" and allow people to fill in a blank.

James Couch
(JBC) - M

Locale: Cascade Mountains
Survey to limiting on 09/23/2013 12:09:49 MDT Print View

Started to fill out the survey but quit. To many questions limit your choices and I don't fit the answers at all. Also ages skew young, having an answer of 45+ as the only range above 45 will greatly limit your data sets. I think you will find that a HUGE number of respondents will fall in that age range, should have broken it down past the 45 year range more.

Valerie Boshoer
(malera)
Re: Survey to limiting on 09/23/2013 23:26:50 MDT Print View

Thank you everyone for the feedback. It helps me a lot. I agree that my questions a limitted in a way. I have created them in mind to target very specific archetype, but it proved me wrong. Interesting to see the feedback and the way it can shift the research. I do agree that there are many backpackers 50+. However, I was not sure if they are the ones I should target, since many of them like to plan a trip themselves. Based on everyone's recommendations, I will change the survey quastions to accomodate larger grpuop of people. In addition, I think my research should target more general public rather than backpackers. Some folks here brought up many good points in regards to data base of trails, weather conditions, etc. Something i did not consider before.

If you do have any more suggestions regarding the survey please let me know. I am always happy to hear them out.

Sincerely,
Valerie

Valerie Boshoer
(malera)
Re: survey on 09/23/2013 23:28:04 MDT Print View

Paul,

Do you have specific recommendations on phrasing some of the questions?

I would highly appreciate your help.

Thank you,
Valerie

Valerie Boshoer
(malera)
Re: Will Do on 09/23/2013 23:29:21 MDT Print View

Max,

Why almost? :) not a bad place. A bit overpriced though :(

Valerie Boshoer
(malera)
Re: "Survey for Outdoor Lovers" on 09/23/2013 23:30:33 MDT Print View

Dena,

Thank you for the feedback. Will do.

-Valerie

Eric Blumensaadt
(Danepacker) - MLife

Locale: Mojave Desert
YEP on 09/24/2013 22:57:50 MDT Print View

I'm 70 and "45+" absolutely is not going to get you meaningful data. There are a LOT of us over 60 that still backpack regularly.

Decade-wide demographics are far better and half decade cuts better yet.

Dean F.
(acrosome) - MLife

Locale: Back in the Front Range
Agree, the questions are poorly designed, but I answered as best I could. on 09/25/2013 12:15:15 MDT Print View

Also, the questions don't seem to differentiate between "travel" and "hiking." Those are two very different activities to me.

I'll also agree that I'm not a "hipster," nor do I fit any other category listed very well.

Will many "corporate workers" not also be "careerists?"

How are "backcountry lover" and "mountaineer" synonymous?

Very few people can design a good, unbiased poll. And we can't tell you how to make a better one without knowing what the poll is for, which would bias all of us as respondents. It's tough.

Edited by acrosome on 09/25/2013 12:19:23 MDT.

Larry De La Briandais
(Hitech) - F

Locale: SF Bay Area
Not just a survey... on 09/26/2013 12:30:42 MDT Print View

This:

"Describe your process for planning a trip (Part 2) - describe your process in detail."

is not a survey question. Unless I have a very good reason, I am not going to spend 15+ minutes describing that in detail.

This question is used as the heading to a gird of poll questions, but it has a simple answer (Yes or No). I have no idea what that question has to do with the grid questions.

"This day and age we cannot help but notice the overabundance of information for planning a travel or experience route scattered throughout numerous blogs and websites. Do you agree?"

BTW, sometimes trip planning is a breeze, and sometimes is it difficult. Sometimes the information I need is easy to find, and sometimes I can't what I want to know, and I am good with Google searches. So, with that information, how would I answer your questions? Basically, I can't.

Emily Oleary
(emilylisborg)
add more options for better results on 10/12/2013 19:08:55 MDT Print View

I also found the options extremely limiting. Didn't fit into one of the "career" categories, and the travel options were restrictive. For those who travel often, it is sometimes in big chunks of time, i.e. 3+ months, and in the time spent at home, there aren't many weekend getaways. Your survey does not offer options for this.