Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Survey for Outdoor Lovers
Display Avatars Sort By:
Valerie Boshoer
(malera)
Re: Re: Re: Re: Survey for Outdoor Lovers on 09/23/2013 19:14:50 MDT Print View

Roger,

By saying that people in age group of 50+ will not commit to a pre-planned route, I meant that they won't use the service. Just because they like the idea of planning themselves. Being originally from Russia, my family and I never used "illustrated" trails or guide maps for any type of backpacking trips (once that majority of Americans use, in fact). It was all done months before the trip by looking at the topo-map and talking to people. Then, it was accompanied by compass on kerosene oil (no GPS back then).:) Being on Elbrus and some other summits in Caucasian mountains, I can assure you that I do have some idea about walking. Unfortunately, I don't get to do them as much as my family did at my age.

However, you are right that most of the people who would be using the idea are not backpackers. However, to ask a "second" opinion different from own, I had to post on BackpackingLight.

Thank you,
Valerie

James Couch
(JBC) - M

Locale: Cascade Mountains
Re: Re: Re: Survey for Outdoor Lovers on 09/23/2013 21:30:36 MDT Print View

I pointed this out in the other posting for this. When you are doing research you need to keep an open mind. How do you KNOW that folks 50+ will not be interested in pre planed trips? A friend of mine runs cycling trips to Italy, nearly all of his customers can plan the trips themselves, but don't, preferring to not have the hassles. The vast majority of his customers are over 50.

David Thomas
(DavidinKenai) - MLife

Locale: North Woods. Far North.
Re: Re: Re: Re: Survey for Outdoor Lovers on 09/23/2013 23:37:46 MDT Print View

Along the lines of what Jim said, some people get to a point where they have more money and time off than they have desire to hash out the details. Work hard, play hard.

That's Backroads Bicycling's whole business model. The clients pedal the miles, with the company arranging the route, lodging, mid-day meals, sag wagon, etc. Of course you could do it far cheaper on your own, but the support, and comfort that someone knowledgable has planned it all is worth something for some people.

My cousin scouts locations in India for well-healed travelers who want an arranged tour that is off the beaten path. They get a custom itinerary, in-region guides and drivers and pre-checked lodging. The local providers want future business so they are motivated to keep the clients happy.

National Geographic offers some very upper-end trips to adventurous locations around the world (I think they've only had one client die in Alaska this year). The one that sticks in my mind was $55,000 for 20 days around the world in a chartered 757 with sleeper compartments (so you'd wake up at your new destination) and guided by Jared Diamond (Guns, Germs, and Steel). A bit out of my price range, but my oldest friend and her husband get invited to trips like that by a rich friend.

Valerie Boshoer
(malera)
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Survey for Outdoor Lovers on 09/24/2013 08:29:39 MDT Print View

David and Jim,

That is an excellent point! However you are referring to guided tours with guides who gather group of people and provide them assured comfort. I am actually trying to find out if someone will be interested to do such thing on their own, just by picking an itinerary and points of interest. Like a tour agent service without an agent. I do not oppose the idea of a buttered service, but not everyone can afford it, so the idea is to provide the same without a "butler".

Thank you,
Valerie