Forum Index » GEAR » Gear stores in Seattle area

Display Avatars Sort By:
John Pain
(iceberglake)

Locale: Road trip
Gear stores in Seattle area on 09/22/2013 09:41:58 MDT Print View

My wife and I just moved to the Seattle area and I wanted to get recommendations from anybody of good stores for UL gear here. I've been to Pro Mountain Sports and Feathered Friends so far. Any other places? Do any stores carry ULA packs or cuben shelters? Thanks!

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: Gear stores in Seattle area on 09/22/2013 10:36:27 MDT Print View

Other than Pro Mountain Sports, there are no shops in Seattle that specialize in UL or carry "cottage" gear. I find it very odd considering the hiking activity in the region, but there are very few UL-centric stores in the world. We are forced to go at it piecemeal

Second Ascent in the Ballard area is very good and has a lot of UL products although it isn't their focus. They take used gear for store credit and sell a lot of used gear. They carry climbing, ski, and bike gear too. Nice folk to deal with.

Outdoor Research has a company store in the SODO area and annual parking lot sales. The Filson company store is close by. Outdoor Emporium is a "hook and bullet" store next door.

Arcteryx just opened a store downtown. Patagonia, North Face, Eddie Bauer, Columbia, and Mountain Hardware have stores there too.

Ibex has a store in the University Village mall. Edie Bauer and North Face have stores there as well.

Marmot Mountain Works in Bellevue is a good hiking gear resource.

And of course there is REI.

If you get up to Vancouver, Canada the MEC store is a must see.

Backcountry Essentials in Bellingham is a great small store. Do check out the used gear on the second floor.

The Mountaineers will have a Gear Grab sale 9/30 from 6-9: http://www.mountaineers.org/stories/news.cfm?reader=275

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
Re: Re: Gear stores in Seattle area on 09/22/2013 10:57:58 MDT Print View

I think I need to do a road trip to Seattle....!

Daryl Daryl
(lyrad1) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth
Promouintain Sports Link on 09/22/2013 11:32:13 MDT Print View

Here's a link to Pro Mountain Sports (mentioned by Dale)

here

Edited by lyrad1 on 09/22/2013 11:35:38 MDT.

And E
(LunchANDYnner) - M

+1 Second Ascent on 09/22/2013 12:07:17 MDT Print View

Definitely check out Second Ascent. Small, local shop and lots of gear/clothing items not normally carried by REI and other places (like many montbell products as well as other items from the major brands). Plus, they have used clothes/gear kind of like the REI garage sale section at the Seattle Flagship store...

oh yeah, that reminds me... The Seattle flagship store has a permanent Garage Sale section. To get there, walk in and go to the very far left of the store where the biking stuff is, and there will be stairs leading down to their gear rentals department. There you will also find their Garage Sale section. Every once in awhile, when they have too much inventory, they will slash prices or have half off garage sale items (half off of even the garage sale price). My parent's went the other month when they were getting rid of ALL the garage sale shoes for 10 dollars (9.93 or something).

Steven Paris
(saparisor) - M

Gear stores in Seattle area on 09/22/2013 12:53:14 MDT Print View

Next Adventure in Portland carries ULA packs and Mountain Shop carries HMG packs and Six Moon Designs packs, in case you make it down this way.

Jeff Jeff
(TwoFortyJeff) - F
Re: Gear stores in Seattle area on 09/22/2013 13:42:54 MDT Print View

Most of the shops here are more ski and climbing oriented. You can still pretty much find gear from all of the top brands though, in case you need to buy something in person.

John Pain
(iceberglake)

Locale: Road trip
Thanks! on 09/22/2013 22:25:31 MDT Print View

Thanks for all the info. Maybe I need to open a cottage gear retailer!

Slightly off topic for this thread, but since I'm new to the area, I was wondering if any BPLers here wanted to do group hikes. I'd be up for some weekend trips.

Edward Jursek
(nedjursek@gmail.com)

Gear stores in Seattle on 09/22/2013 23:53:25 MDT Print View

For UL down garments and sleeping bags, Feathered Friends is great. They are on Yale St. Half a block from the REI flagship store. They have a clearance rack in the back of the store. They will do custom work and their quality is great.

Edit: Just caught that you already know about FF, so consider this an endorsement rather then a suggestion!

Edited by nedjursek@gmail.com on 09/22/2013 23:55:30 MDT.

Mary D
(hikinggranny) - MLife

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge
Gear Stores in Seattle area on 09/23/2013 12:54:19 MDT Print View

With Portland and Seattle only three hours apart, I thought I'd cross reference the threads for the two cities. Here's the thread for Portland stores:
http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=82151&skip_to_post=700020#700020