Forum Index » GEAR » New Down Quilt from Sierra Designs with built in hood and hand pockets

Display Avatars Sort By:
Michael Glavin
(gmontlake) - MLife

Locale: Cascades and Selkirks
Re: Sierra Designs on 09/26/2013 17:26:38 MDT Print View

Stephen:

Thanks for your comments.

The Microlight is a tough one for us, because it is the best selling item in our line-up. In fact, we just met today to discuss what to do with that item, because nobody on our team likes this item. Is it a leaky rainjacket, or a sweaty wind jacket? Either way, it does not belong in the backcountry, and thus cannot survive in the new SD line.

I am not sure what we are going to do about it, but rest assured we will make it great, or it will be out the door like the rest of the stuff we just dropped. We just need a little more time on this one.

Tim Marshall
(MarshLaw303) - MLife

Locale: Minnesota
Re: enLIGHTened Equipment.....enLIGHTened Gear on 09/26/2013 17:32:31 MDT Print View

I saw that on your blog today (yes I was checking you out ;). In 2002 I was finishing college!

I hadn't heard of your brand as I came around this world in 2006 or 2007 so hopefully the name similarity is a result of great minds thinking alike and not seen as me trying to steal your brand.

I totally agree that there is plenty of room and I'm in no way seriously concerned nor should it matter if I was. Good design is what we need. The more good designs being made the better it is for the community as a whole.

Being small comes with its advantages for sure and ill gladly focus on those. I can change faster, make adjustments easier, respond to new products in the same season and sleep in my hammock and call it work! I'm good:)

Like I said, glad you're here

-Tim

Tom Clark
(TomClark) - MLife

Locale: East Coast
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Backcountry Quilt design criteria on 09/26/2013 19:39:38 MDT Print View

Michael,
I appreciate your candor and promises of a better future. SD has made some great stuff over the years...my first shelter was a SD Clip Flashlight, which was one of the lighter 2-man tents at the time (6.6 lbs...yikes!). I still have it and have lots of great memories with it.
Tom

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Backcountry Quilt design criteria on 09/26/2013 19:42:05 MDT Print View

nm

Edited by FamilyGuy on 11/13/2013 15:52:17 MST.

just Justin Whitson
(ArcturusBear)
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Backcountry Quilt design criteria on 09/26/2013 19:57:56 MDT Print View

I appreciate your honesty and directness Michael. I hope it didn't appear that i'm anti Sierra Designs. I have a sleeping bag made by your company and all in all i like it and think it was a good value and reasonably priced (the Zissou Dri down model). I'm probably going to sell it, but only because i'm more interested in quilt designs overall (and bought an EE quilt to replace same).

I brought up the Cuben tent thing because stuff like that does kind of irk me sometimes. I'm not a fan of greed, and i see that is so pervasive and dominant in the corporate world. It's one thing making some money and a living but greed and being only concerned with profit (and always having to have more, more, more) is another thing and unfortunately the latter is the quintessential corporate mindset.

Well, baby steps eh, some things are starting to change for the better and hopefully the company you work for will be part of that. I like a lot of Patagonia's principles for example, but they're another company that i think sometimes charges way too much.

Christopher *
(cfrey.0) - M

Locale: US East Coast
Re: Re: Re: Backcountry Quilt design criteria on 09/26/2013 20:08:24 MDT Print View

Hello Michael.

I have to say I find it encouraging that there are members of more "established" enterprise like yourself involved here at BPL. Despite my tongue-in-cheek "naked" comment, I think it helps balance the equation. And while Tim may be hyperventilating momentarily, competition is ultimately the best driving force for innovation.

Good on you.

Edited by cfrey.0 on 09/26/2013 20:14:47 MDT.

Tim Marshall
(MarshLaw303) - MLife

Locale: Minnesota
Re: Re: Re: Re: Backcountry Quilt design criteria on 09/26/2013 20:43:44 MDT Print View

Is that how I came off?

-Tim

Christopher *
(cfrey.0) - M

Locale: US East Coast
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Backcountry Quilt design criteria on 09/26/2013 21:02:55 MDT Print View

LOL. I apologize Tim. I didn't mean to emasculate you. I think you were gracious and inviting.

Honestly I think, particularly here on BPL, SD would be on the under-dog card. Although, now that we know who was the original EnLIGHTened ....

Edited by cfrey.0 on 09/26/2013 21:04:16 MDT.

Stephen Komae
(skomae) - MLife

Locale: northeastern US
Re: Re: Sierra Designs on 09/26/2013 21:43:08 MDT Print View

>The Microlight is a tough one for us, because it is the best selling item in our line-up. In fact, we just met today to discuss what to do with that item, because nobody on our team likes this item. Is it a leaky rainjacket, or a sweaty wind jacket? Either way, it does not belong in the backcountry, and thus cannot survive in the new SD line.

>I am not sure what we are going to do about it, but rest assured we will make it great, or it will be out the door like the rest of the stuff we just dropped. We just need a little more time on this one.

Michael,
Thank you for the response. I am not sure I expected one as thorough as this!

I obviously don't know anything about running a brand but I think it's pretty important to maintain the price point that the Microlight fulfills, despite not liking the jacket as it is currently.

There are lots of people who can not or will not spend what it takes to get a "good" rain or wind jacket whatever that means these days, and it would be a shame to give up that segment. Obviously upgrading the Microlight while maintaining its price point is a challenge, and I look forward to seeing the result! You probably would not be surprised to know that the Microlight tainted the SD brand at our store among those who never had exposure to other, better SD stuff, but it could be a key player in bringing the SD image up to new heights.

You've really set the bar high for yourself by coming and talking to us about your plans to take SD in a new direction. I hope you will be able to continue to share morsels of knowledge from time to time with us as I really appreciate getting some insider insight.

Mark Ries
(mtmnmark) - M

Locale: IOWAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!
Re: New Down Quilt from Sierra Designs with built in hood and hand pockets on 09/27/2013 06:42:03 MDT Print View

It looks to me as the quilt is flawed in design. The area above the foot box widens out to quickly in a big u. Don't most come out more gradually in a v. The prolite video makes it look like it is going to be tough to get it and keep it tucked at the knees. I may be wrong just calling it as I see it.

Ben Wortman
(bwortman)

Locale: Nebraska
Tents on 09/27/2013 07:13:14 MDT Print View

Michael
Is SD changing all of their tent line also, or just their apparel?

Ben

Jennifer Mitol
(Jenmitol) - M

Locale: In my dreams....
Re: Re: Re: Sierra Designs on 09/27/2013 07:44:03 MDT Print View

Count me as one of the folks initially skeptical about the motives of a for-profit company (I'm completely with Justin on this one...couldn't have said it better myself about the relentless worshipping of greater and greater profit), but I am very excited to see what SD comes up with. My first high-end sleeping bag was a SD and I loved it...

Glad to see you are here, and I hope to see you involved in the forums a bit. One of the reasons I am happy to spend my cash at the cottage companies is because it's nice to see them as people...and not these faceless corporate entities. Even the ones who crucify themselves on the forums...they know who they are...still give an actual face to their product; for me that helps me decide who deserves my money.

Good luck on the product launch.

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Backcountry Quilt design criteria on 09/27/2013 08:44:45 MDT Print View

"I'm not a fan of greed, and i see that is so pervasive and dominant in the corporate world..."

If you want to make more, more, more, don't create a backpacking gear company

create a big bank, oil company or pharmaceutical company : )

Peter G
(BuddyJ) - F

Locale: Western Oklahoma
More info on the quilt on 09/27/2013 10:56:38 MDT Print View

I'm really really interested in the SD quilt. What temp rating are you going for with it and what's the MSRP going to be (or ballpark?).

I have a Sierra Designs dual-temp sleeping bag currently that I'm looking to replace with a quilt. The bag is probably close to 20 years old now. One side of the bag is rated for 30F and the other 50F, or something like that. I used it all through Scouting, and now that I'm back as an ASM for the local troop I'm looking to update my gear with something a bit lighter and warmer. As a side sleeper, my biggest concern with moving to a quilt is how I'm gonna keep covered.

Aaron Sorensen
(awsorensen) - MLife

Locale: South of Forester Pass
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Backcountry Quilt design criteria on 09/27/2013 17:27:43 MDT Print View

Hey Tim,

"Is that how I came off?"

No

But that's how I do.
So I'll be the first to step on corporate company's crap they sell and force me to make my own stuff.

"To us, the whole goal of going lighter and simpler is because lighter and simpler is MORE COMFORTABLE. When lighter is LESS comfortable."

You know, that just nails the big company motto to the tee.
I don't even see this being the attitude they have though, I just see it as building an item to be able to have the least complaints or the best reviews from the likes of people who will never get their base down to U/L (well maybe on paper they do).

All this is is an advertisement for the product.

However, most people at this site are only U/L on paper as well, so this is more than welcome on this site.

Man do I love my homemade 19 ounce quilt with 12 ounces of down even more now.

Of course this is just how I come off and I'm just kidding.
As a maker of 10 quilts, all of them each a lot different than the other, I love items that are not just plain and don't fill much of a niche. I love the built in hood and how it works. Genius... All this for 3 ounces over an 850 fill with 10D fabric is awesome.
I would like to know if that weight is accurate?
I've seen a lot of bags that are no where near the claimed weight.

Edited by awsorensen on 09/28/2013 14:56:50 MDT.

John S.
(jshann) - F
Re: New Down Quilt from Sierra Designs with built in hood and hand pockets on 09/27/2013 19:23:34 MDT Print View

http://www.utahoutside.com/2013/08/sierra-designs-at-outdoor-retailer-summer-market-2013/

Looks like the backcountry quilt is sub 2 pounds and rated to 30 degrees F.

Edited by jshann on 09/27/2013 19:29:33 MDT.

Aaron Sorensen
(awsorensen) - MLife

Locale: South of Forester Pass
Re: Re: New Down Quilt from Sierra Designs with built in hood and hand pockets on 09/27/2013 19:41:08 MDT Print View

Prolite Gear video says it's 1 pound 7 ounces.

John S.
(jshann) - F
Re: Re: Re: New Down Quilt from Sierra Designs with built in hood and hand pockets on 09/27/2013 19:45:31 MDT Print View

Thanks Aaron. I had watched it a few days ago, but forgot the weight ; ).

Michael Glavin
(gmontlake) - MLife

Locale: Cascades and Selkirks
More comments on 09/27/2013 20:33:10 MDT Print View

Lots of comments and answers to questions above:

Someone mentioned the logo:

SD Logo Evolution, with new 2014 logo

Mark: Regarding the "non v" shape of the quilt footbox: I thought the same thing. I tried it, it worked for me and all our testers. I have one here I will send you to try if you will send it back. Let me know.

Quilt specs: The quilt has been EN rated (yes you can do that with quilts) at 28 degrees. It weighs 1 pound 7 ounces, has 11 ounces of 800 fill dridown, has a 20d nylon ripstop shell and costs $259.

There is a lot of talk here about this quilt, but the coolest item in the new SD line is not a quilt, its a bed. You can catch a glimpse if you go to sierradesigns.com and type "backcountry bed" in the search field. Since I know I will get asked the 30 degree version of that is a flat 2.0 pounds and costs $349. There is a 600 fill version at $249 that weighs more.

ALL SD tents in 2014 are new. There are no double wall tents and no traditional vestibules in the line. All are single/hybrid walls. Gear storage is external, but does not block the door and is accessible from inside and out. You can get in and out of all the tents through a single door, you can leave the door open in all but the worst weather due to a unique door that is more of a wall/door/vent/window. You can cook safely while you are in the tent (though I won't be able to promote that due to CPAI-84). There are two freestanding versions, but the coolest and most applicable to this crowd is the new Flashlight (mentioned above) which is 2 lbs 15oz minimum weight (trekking pole set up), 2 door, 2 awning, 2 gear closet and BIG! It's $359, but there is a $259 version that is exactly the same except for less expensive heavier materials. If we made it out of really light fabric, It could probably be 2lbs 5, but for now the lightest is 30d with PU coating and 40d floors, taped. Here is a pic:

Flashlight at Ross Lake

Aaron: I make my own stuff too: its really the only way to get EXACTLY what you want when you are particular. It IS an advertisement! I LOVE this stuff!

Ammon Bruce
(AmmonBruce) - M

Locale: South Eastern Washington State
Re: More comments on 09/27/2013 21:10:00 MDT Print View

Michael,

What are the floor specs of your tents? LxWxH please? All your old one were about 84" or less long. Too small for us 6'4 guy. I hope you have a 90" plus long!?
Thanks for your time.
Ammon