Looking for a rice-based one-pot recipe.
Display Avatars Sort By:
Delmar O'Donnell
(Bolster)

Locale: Between Jacinto & Gorgonio
Looking for a rice-based one-pot recipe. on 09/20/2013 21:06:29 MDT Print View

Discovered today that "minute rice" requires only a boil, then 5 minutes covered (in cozy) to rehydrate. That means it's a candidate for one-pot supercat stove cooking! But rice by itself is pretty bland. Can someone share a tasty rice-based recipe for the trail? Thanks.

Edited by Bolster on 09/20/2013 21:07:04 MDT.

Kevin Schneringer
(Slammer) - MLife

Locale: Oklahoma Flat Lands
Minute rice + on 09/20/2013 21:28:39 MDT Print View

Add a package of precooked chicken breast, 1 bullion cube-smashed into powder.
Then pick up 2 chick-fil-a Polynesian sauce packs.

Add boiling water Cook rice,chicken and bullion altogether. After 5 min. Add sauce and stir.

Want Mexican instead of Polynesian skip poly sauce and use salsa.

Best 2 I have. I am still experimenting.

Delmar O'Donnell
(Bolster)

Sounds good! on 09/20/2013 22:38:13 MDT Print View

Kevin, that sounds really good!

For some reason, my supermarket doesn't carry chicken in the foil pouches. Looking all over for it.

Edited by Bolster on 09/20/2013 22:38:44 MDT.

David Noll
(dpnoll) - MLife

Locale: Maroon Bells
one pot recipe on 09/21/2013 06:27:56 MDT Print View

WalMart if you have one in the area.

Daniel Collins
(Diablo-V)

Locale: Orlando FL
5 minutes on 09/21/2013 07:29:09 MDT Print View

5 minutes is only for the white rice.
You get better nutrition with the brown rice, but it takes 10 minutes.

James Marco
(jamesdmarco) - MLife

Locale: Finger Lakes
Re: Looking for a rice-based one-pot recipe. on 09/21/2013 07:42:49 MDT Print View

Minute Rice is not very nutritious…whole long grain, wild rice, and brown rice, are better… but, for shorter trips,

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: Re: Looking for a rice-based one-pot recipe. on 09/21/2013 07:55:24 MDT Print View

I was going to make a snarky comment questioning whether minute rice is actually rice : )

I wonder if anyone sells cooked brown rice that has been dehydrated?

packitgourmet doesn't

Daniel Collins
(Diablo-V)

Brown rice on 09/21/2013 09:00:49 MDT Print View

Uncle Ben's sells "minute" brown rice and long grain/wild rice mix.
The long grain/wild rice mix is 5 minutes cooking time, same as minute rice.
The brown rice is 10-12 minutes.
Assuming you eat two servings, the brown has 340 calories and the long grain /wild mix has 400. The long grain/wild mix has vitamins and flavorings added, and a huge amount of sodium - 1320 mg per double serving.
The brown rice is just that and only that, has zero sodium.
I just thought you old people would want to know that : )

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Re: Brown rice on 09/21/2013 09:10:54 MDT Print View

us old people want to know how much fiber is in the brown rice : )

and I hate it when they remove any vitamins and other nutrients from the rice, and then add back synthetic versions

Billy Ray
(rosyfinch) - M

Locale: the mountains
Re: Looking for a rice-based one-pot recipe. on 09/21/2013 09:17:47 MDT Print View

In the Asian food section of most grocery stores you can find a curry past in small plastic tubs in a small box.

While making your minute rice stir in some cut up fresh veggies (during the boil if the veggies take longer to cook; at during the 5 minute steam if the veggies cook fast).

Stir in some of the curry past. Cover and let sit the 5 minutes. At the end stir in either a can or foil pack of pre-cooked chicken.

You can also add some sun-dried tomatoes to hydrate in the mix.

Yum!

Bill D.

Marc Eldridge
(meld) - MLife

Locale: The here and now.
"Looking for a rice-based one-pot recipe." on 09/21/2013 10:14:33 MDT Print View

I use Minute Rice and Sante Fe dehydrated beans in equal volumne, Just Vegetables mix, dried mushrooms broken up, Jerky chopped up and some sort of Knorr seasoning. I put this in a bags I get from Mary Jane Farms and just add boiling water and wait.

Gary Dunckel
(Zia-Grill-Guy) - MLife

Locale: Boulder
Brown rice on 09/21/2013 12:18:11 MDT Print View

Keep in mind that if you cook the brown rice at home, dehydrate it, then vacuum-seal individual portions, it only takes a few minutes to rehydrate it in camp.

James Marco
(jamesdmarco) - MLife

Locale: Finger Lakes
Re: Brown rice on 09/21/2013 15:55:19 MDT Print View

Brown rice actually varies a lot. I got a great mix of raw rice, but the down side is it takes a lot of cooking to crack the shucks, about 20 minutes. Even regular white or brown rice (shucked) can be cooked in a cozy at >40F. (I use my hat as a cozy or pile up some forest duff around the pot...good for about 20min at >140F.) I bring Minute Rice only because it is quick and easy in the dark...shoulder season extends from March & April and October & November in the ADK's; daylight is definitly in short supply

"The long grain/wild mix has vitamins and flavorings added, and a huge amount of sodium - 1320 mg per double serving.
The brown rice is just that and only that, has zero sodium.
I just thought you old people would want to know that : )"

Ha, ha...yeah... Sodium/salt is not really a problem when I am out. Even in cooler weather I work up a sweat. Salt and salty stuff tasts good when I do. I do not expect to do 20mi days, though.

Justin Baker
(justin_baker) - F

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA
Re: Looking for a rice-based one-pot recipe. on 09/21/2013 16:05:43 MDT Print View

What is minute rice exactly? I always assumed it was cooked and dehydrated rice that rehydrates quickly.

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Re: Re: Looking for a rice-based one-pot recipe. on 09/21/2013 16:30:17 MDT Print View

minute rice is pre-cooked and dehydrated

I just notice minute brown rice http://www.minuterice.com/en-us/products/92/BrownRice.aspx

I wonder if that's any good?

Jim Colten
(jcolten) - M

Locale: MN
Re: one pot recipe on 09/21/2013 20:11:54 MDT Print View

Delmar said: For some reason, my supermarket doesn't carry chicken in the foil pouches. Looking all over for it.
Chicken in foil packets is heavy and bulky. I buy canned chicken and dehydrate it.

David said: WalMart if you have one in the area.
Not sure I could shop at Walmart and remained married ... don't want to find out;-)

Nice recipes though. I'm gonna have to try dehydrating cooked brown rice. (ditto for pasta)

just Justin Whitson
(ArcturusBear)
Re: Re: Re: Looking for a rice-based one-pot recipe. on 09/21/2013 20:25:55 MDT Print View

I don't use a stove much anymore lately, but when i do, brown rice is one of my staples.

For my soups and rice in general, i often make a mix of this, both for taste AND extra nutrition. Mix together primarily parsley flakes, a good italian seasoning blend, kelp powder, a wee bit of nutritional yeast, and a good land based natural salt (like real salt, himalayan, etc). I add it towards the end of cooking it because i've heard that cooking with salt can reduce vitamin content. Italian seasoning obviously isn't for nutrition but just taste. The other ingredients sans salt are pretty nutritionally dense--especially kelp powder--very nutritionally dense for the weight and i find great addition for soups taste wise, but hey i'm a bit strange..

For rice, i like Trader Joes quick cook organic basmati rice--takes about 10 minutes to cook fully. They explain the process on the package. Essentially they scratch, roll, and roughen up the rice grains first, then steam it, then dry it.

I'm not sure, but i think some companies may just preboil and then dry it. pre boiling, if done wrong, can take out a lot of the nutrition if there is excess water which is wasted.

Sometimes i precook the rice with minimal water (to make sure there is none left at the end) and then dehydrate myself. A little tip for dehydrators that involve smaller and/or stickier foods. Take a piece of parchment paper, cut to size of your tray, fold it up a number of times and take a pin and poke some holes in it. Smaller or stickier food goes on the parchment paper, and the little holes help to speed up the process vs having it on a completely solid surface. I have a rectangular dehydrator so this is easier for me.

Cost wise, it would be more cost effective to buy a large bag of rice at a place like Costco, soak the rice overnight or a bit longer to reduce cooking time, cook most way and then cook/dehydrate as per above suggestions.

Daniel Collins
(Diablo-V)

kelp on 09/21/2013 22:12:22 MDT Print View

Now I have to try that. Kelp is a wonderful food.
Why not just throw dried kelp strips in there instead of the powder.
I will try the rice with kelp, dried shrimp, and some miso.
I don't think dried miso has the same benefits as the dough, but a little miso goes a long way.
Basmati Jasmine rice is the second best tasting rice, right after pecan rice.

Delmar O'Donnell
(Bolster)

Re: Re: one pot recipe on 09/21/2013 23:34:17 MDT Print View

>Chicken in foil packets is heavy and bulky. I buy canned chicken and dehydrate it.

Jim, I am 99% vegetarian so know next to nothing about meat prep, but I break the rules when traveling and would eat chicken on a pack trip. But how to dehydrate? I have experience with fruits, usually 115 degrees temp overnight. But what about canned chicken? Can you provide guidance?

> For rice, i like Trader Joes quick cook organic basmati rice--takes about 10 minutes to cook fully.

Was unaware I could get this. Sounds like a big step up from Uncle Ben's. Thanks!!

Edited by Bolster on 09/21/2013 23:36:18 MDT.

just Justin Whitson
(ArcturusBear)
Re: Re: Re: one pot recipe on 09/22/2013 00:45:23 MDT Print View

No problem Delmar. Btw, i rarely run into others who also eat vegetarian about 99% of the time. Most either eat fully vegetarian, or enough meat to more or less be considered meat eaters.

I very occasionally (maybe 1 meal every two weeks or so) will eat some wild caught Alaskan salmon or the like. I'm particularly fond of Costco's Alaskan wild caught smoked salmon. I pretty much turn into a voracious Grizzly bear when in presence of the stuff, but i deliberately limit myself for financial, ecological, health (too much sodium unless i'm very active and sweating A LOT), and energetic reasons (i generally feel better and higher energy when eating less flesh foods).

Edited by ArcturusBear on 09/22/2013 00:52:09 MDT.

just Justin Whitson
(ArcturusBear)
Re: Re: Re: Re: one pot recipe on 09/22/2013 01:04:44 MDT Print View

Oh, i should add that for my soup, rice mix outlined earlier, i sometimes add some grated romano cheese to the mix, but when i do that, i add a desiccant pouch.

I make my own desiccants by buying calcium chloride at a local dollar tree place, sewing little linen pouches with a drawstring top. One smaller pouch and one a bit larger. The smaller pouch i put the C.C. in, then that pouch goes in the larger linen pouch.

The larger one gets dirty easily when put in these mixes, and so i wash it. The smaller one can be resused by baking in a toaster oven for a bit. (not so high as to scorch the linen though! No higher than 300). When using a desiccant pouch, it's important to make sure you keep your food well sealed most of the time, otherwise it will draw in extra moisture which defeats the purpose.

Daniel Collins
(Diablo-V)

99 percent on 09/22/2013 02:02:10 MDT Print View

Another 99 percent-er here.
A Thai girl once showed me that meat is used like a spice or flavoring - in tiny amounts - rather than as a staple. I get cravings now and then for sauteed liver and onions, or deep fried bacon wrapped chicken livers, and sometimes a jumbo burger. Otherwise 99 percent vegetarian.

I used to eat dried anchovies cooked Korean style, and I think it would make a good addition to plain rice. These are not the same taste as what you think of on a pizza.
They are plain dried anchovies. I soak them in cold water overnight in the fridge.
Drain them and toss them in a frypan with hot sesame oil, soy sauce, and cayenne pepper.
Fry for just a few moments. Drain on a towel. They are delicious-eaten like popcorn.
I will see if I can adapt them for the trail, after all, it has been a travelers tradition in ancient cultures (dried fish).

Dessicants - I have a bottle of lab grade silica gel crystals here, but no pouches and I can't sew (or don't have the patience) . I'm thinking coffee filter paper pouches, maybe stapled......

Edited by Diablo-V on 09/22/2013 02:04:19 MDT.

Daniel Collins
(Diablo-V)

salmon on 09/22/2013 07:49:10 MDT Print View

" I'm particularly fond of Costco's Alaskan wild caught smoked salmon. I pretty much turn into a voracious Grizzly bear when in presence of the stuff, "

You surely need to try the Alderwood smoked salmon from the Swinomish Indians in WA State. I have long forgotten where to buy it, seems like LaConner WA was the place, but I think you can get it at Pikes Market in Seattle.

just Justin Whitson
(ArcturusBear)
Re: salmon on 09/23/2013 07:16:51 MDT Print View

Haha, us 99%'ers are coming out of the wood work.

Re: salmon and that particular kind, i would definitely give it a try if i could get here in VA for reasonable. On my somewhat recent AK trip, i ate a lot of smoked salmon, but found i actually like the Costco stuff more. Reason being was because a lot of the smoked salmon in AK (the cheaper stuff i could afford) seemed more outright cooked whereas the Costco stuff seems a bit more raw, and is very soft and buttery, almost melts in your mouth but not in your hands.

"I can't sew (or don't have the patience)."

I definitely understand the sentiment. I felt like that for awhile myself, but i'm glad i forced myself to learn. I found it was easier than i thought it was, and it really does open up a whole new world of making and designing gear to suit your purposes.

Daniel Collins
(Diablo-V)

smoked salmon on 09/23/2013 08:44:41 MDT Print View

"the Costco stuff seems a bit more raw, and is very soft and buttery, almost melts in your mouth but not in your hands"

I have not tried to Costco stuff but you just gave a pretty good description of LOX.

LOX and smoked salmon are the same yet different. The fresh (and frozen) smoked salmon that I have had has all been very much cooked, dripping with salmon fat, more flaky than soft/buttery but not too dry- still melts in your mouth.

I don't know how LOX is preserved but I used to smoke and sell fish and it was similar to the Indian smoked salmon in texture: Brine it overnight, season it, then in the smoker for about 6 to 8 hours depending on bulk.

You may want to check the label for sodium nitrite .. bad stuff.
But I love LOX too !

just Justin Whitson
(ArcturusBear)
Re: smoked salmon on 09/23/2013 09:39:03 MDT Print View

The Costco stuff i'm referring to is very basic and 'natural'. It's smoked and no chemical preservatives or colors added. Just a lot of sodium and the smoking process preserve it. It's also vacuum packed and refrigerated. Great price as it runs about an average of 15 to 17 dollars a pound, which for smoked stuff is pretty good. Costco has other cheaper varieties, but these are either farm raised, have preservatives, and/or extra coloring added--no thank you!

Speaking of preservatives, it's funny, but i've been noticing these showing up in even frozen foods now!??? Freezing is one of the best means of preserving to begin with, why the heck would they be adding preservatives...

Delmar O'Donnell
(Bolster)

99% Vegetarian on 09/23/2013 10:28:04 MDT Print View

Thanks for all the great rice-based suggestions, time to start experimenting!

Regards the 99% vegetarian, this is funny. Thought I was unique in that respect, but I guess not. So out-of-fashion with the currently hot 'paleo' diet. People are always surprised that my vegetarianism doesn't come with a moral component, but I don't eat veg for moral reasons. I was raised that way, and never acquired a taste for meat. I will eat a little bird (chicken or turkey) when traveling, as long as it's bland and a small portion mixed in with other food. I figure other folks are welcome to eat as they please, no desire to recruit other people to my diet. Although...although... I'm well past life's halfway point, and I weigh the same I did in high school, so the diet is doing well by me, weight-wise. Of course, I'm sure plenty of carnivores can say the same, so not sure the diet is the cause. To each his own, or as Voltaire said it better: "Let us each cultivate our own garden."

So back to rice dishes: If dehydrated chicken is a recommended ingredient, how does one dehydrate precooked chicken? Not knowing anything about meat handling, I'm nervous about rotting the meat rather than dehydrating it.

Edited by Bolster on 09/23/2013 10:33:22 MDT.

Edward Zwibel
(YetiEddie) - MLife

Locale: Sunny San Diego
Second the santa fe beans on 09/23/2013 20:49:39 MDT Print View

I am a big fan of the santa fe beans, brown pre-dehydrated rice and sriracha. I am also super hip to a homemade batch of 10 bean lentil mix simmered in stock with romano cheese on it and some crushed red pepper with a squeeze of lemon. (Fellow 99%er) Lentils cream up nice, dehydrate like a BOSS and mix well with just about any type of rice/couscous/quinoa.

Cheers!

Jim Colten
(jcolten) - M

Locale: MN
dehydrating meat: one pot recipe on 09/24/2013 06:55:47 MDT Print View

would eat chicken on a pack trip. But how to dehydrate?

I dehydrate overnight (or a bit longer) at 125*F in dehydrator that circulates the air.

But, Important...While dehydrated cooked ground beef rehydrates pretty well, other meats do not unless they have been pressure cooked. Canned meats and meat in foil pouches has been pressure cooked. I imagine home pressure cooked meat would work also but I'm not equipped to try that.

Dehydrating ground beef: 1) cook thoroughly 2) rinse in HOT water to wash out fat. 3) spread on tray and dehydrate. The result looks a bit like grape nuts cereal but darker colored.

Delmar O'Donnell
(Bolster)

Rice Before Boil? on 09/25/2013 14:06:14 MDT Print View

Any reason to bring water to a boil BEFORE adding instant rice? On my last experiment, I just put rice, cool water, and a crushed bouillon cube into the pot, and put the whole thing on to boil. Seemed to cook up just fine. Mine was a variation on Kevin's recipe above, it was good:

1 c instant rice, 1 c water,
1 bouillon cube, into pot.
Boil. Add: 1/4 c Peas
1/4 c Meat (dehydrated chicken, soy)
Move to cozy. Add: 3T Sauce (BBQ), Walnuts

This is decent nutrition for regular eating, but I'm concerned it's not calorie dense enough for the trail, so I should probably add some butter or oil to the recipe.

[EDIT, was able to improve greatly on this recipe, see below.]

Edited by Bolster on 10/05/2013 20:01:10 MDT.

Ben H.
(bzhayes) - F

Locale: So. California
Re: Rice Before Boil? on 09/25/2013 16:08:26 MDT Print View

"Any reason to bring water to a boil BEFORE adding instant rice?..."

The reason would be texture. Cooking a starch like that you could end up with gooey overcooked rice on the outside by the time the inside is cooked. Your recipe uses a sauce which would probably cover up any texture issues. If you don't mind the texture, there is no reason not to do it like that.

Daniel Collins
(Diablo-V)

Wild rice mix on 09/26/2013 21:23:02 MDT Print View

I tried the Uncle Bens wild rice mix and was very impressed with the flavor.
I will be buying a bunch for backpacking. about 6 oz dry for "3 servings".

Piper S.
(sbhikes) - F

Locale: Santa Barbara (Name: Diane)
Re: Looking for a rice-based one-pot recipe. on 09/29/2013 19:03:11 MDT Print View

My Japanese friend makes a Japanese soup of dried green veggies and seaweed, chicken broth, a little arrowroot powder for thickening, a little toasted sesame oil for flavor, and various kinds of meats he finds in Japan (but here, tuna in a foil pouch or if you can find salmon or chicken breast in a foil pouch that would be similar). He just pours that hot over his instant rice and waits about 15 minutes. He let me taste it and I thought it was delicious!

He gets a special kind of rice that is a brown rice that is steamed, roasted, rolled and dehydrated. It resembles oats in appearance. Eden foods makes a similar product here in the US but I have never seen it in a store. I believe it is called flattened rice or something similar. I found Indian flattened rice in an Asian market. It's white rice that has been cooked and rolled flat. I have not tried it but it looks like it would be quite good.

Daniel Collins
(Diablo-V)

miso on 09/29/2013 21:04:30 MDT Print View

I grew fond of Miso when I lived overseas and it's good for you also.
Rice cooked with Miso broth and seaweed strips with chicken sounds pretty good, and I bet your Japanese friend would approve. For seaweed - kelp or nori, dried, weighs next to nothing. The problem is the miso is somewhat heavy, weighing about 2 ounces in the dough form, per meal. I found powdered miso soup mix at one time, but I'm not sure if it has the same nutrients that fresh miso has.

Japanese soldiers in World War 2 lived almost entirely on white rice cooked in a mess kit over charcoal, flavored with fish sauce and miso, with canned crab meat or canned sardines, or canned mackeral.

Piper S.
(sbhikes) - F

Locale: Santa Barbara (Name: Diane)
Re: miso on 09/29/2013 21:22:08 MDT Print View

My Japanese friend has a lot of pictures of his food mixed in with his hiking pictures.
https://plus.google.com/photos/104620544810418955412/albums?banner=pwa

He also has a hiking tips site (mostly in Japanese) with a recipe for JMT bread. It weighs a TON, like a brick, but it's really good and probably has a lot of calories. He's not ultralight. His pack weighs between 50 and 80lbs. I tried it on and it was pretty comfortable for such a heavy pack.
https://sites.google.com/site/completewalkerequipment/home/4-cooking/jmt-bread

Dean F.
(acrosome) - MLife

Locale: Back in the Front Range
Rice dishes. on 09/30/2013 14:48:33 MDT Print View

Oddly, I also make a rice dish by flavoring it with a miso soup packet. You can basically do this with any dry instant soup packet, though you may have to divide the soup into smaller servings to keep it from being too strong.

Another of my favorites is cooking the instant rice with a packet of coconut milk powder from packitgourmet, add a mini-box of raisins and a pinch of red pepper powder for a Thai-like meal.

Delmar O'Donnell
(Bolster)

King Pao Rice & "Pork" on 10/05/2013 19:58:00 MDT Print View

So, for the last week and a half, I have been cooking various versions of one-pot rice dishes for my noon meal. I've been "dialing it in" on the following recipe. My wife is a good cook, and discerning, and if she ever admits she would eat one of my dishes again, that's success (particularly for a recipe with all dry ingredients). She likes this one; and after 10 iterations, so do I, but it's too "spicy hot" for my 9-year-old.

Kung Pao Rice & "Pork" (given here as a vegetarian recipe, but doesn't have to be)

Into pot: 1 c water
2 heaping t Kung Pao powder (been using "Sun Bird Seasonings" brand)
1/4 t salt
2 t sugar
2 t dried onion
1/4 c dried peas
1/4 c “Pork” soy. (This is a dry, soy-based pork substitute in granules that needs rehydration; use whatever meat you want.)
Light stove (I'm using a SuperCat with 3/4 oz alcohol) and bring to a boil. Then add:
1 c Instant rice.
At end of boil, add:
4 t peanuts (or slivered almonds)
4 t chopped dried pineapple (can add candied ginger, too).
Cover and place in cozy for 5-10 minutes.

The downside of this recipe is that it packs up in three bags, which is more complex than I like: the pre-boil mix, the rice, and the post-boil mix. Oh well.

If you like a hotter and spicier dish, add a little more of the Kung Pao powder (maybe an extra half teaspoon). As written, this dish is merely "spice warm" not "spice hot," regardless of what my kid thinks.

If you want to use brown rice, you need to add a little more alcohol to the stove, in SuperCat terms, maybe 1 oz instead of 3/4 oz. That way you can boil the brown rice for a few minutes (instructions say +10 but I've done far less using the cozy with success). The white rice doesn't need any additional boiling, and with an efficient alcohol stove, I bet you could make this recipe on 1/2 oz of alcohol.

kppr

Edited by Bolster on 10/09/2013 17:07:22 MDT.

Daniel Collins
(Diablo-V)

miso again on 10/20/2013 04:40:04 MDT Print View

I finally found the instant miso soup (Kikkoman brand) but am disappointed in the amount of MSG in it. Looking further for other alternatives.

Rick M
(rmjapan) - F

Locale: London, UK
Re: miso again on 10/20/2013 05:30:09 MDT Print View

Generally, rice is not mixed in with a miso soup. But some kids will do it for a quick breakfast and crack a raw egg in it too.

I think the "taste" you want is really o-chazuke, which is green tea/dashi poured over rice with various savory toppings like sake (salmon), ume (plum), nori and rice cracklings.

I'm sure if you search Amazon for "ochazuke" you will find the various freeze dried soup packets for sale. Sprinkle over ~100g cooked rice and add ~150ml of hot water.

Mark S
(gixer) - F
Chorizo on 10/20/2013 05:36:14 MDT Print View

I don't have a dehydrator, it's also rare to come across fresh water in many of the places i hike here in Greece, so rehydrating food tends to be a bit tough on many hikes i'll need to carry in whatever water i cook with.

Saying that though i do tend to cook a lot of rice, usually use uncle Ben's quick rice.

For flavouring it really depends on my mood.
Sometimes i'll cut up some peppers, spring onions and mushrooms and put then in a bag (not dehydrated), other times in cooler weather i'll crack a couple of eggs into a bag and have egg fried rice without the frying.

Tastiest is usually Chorizo though, it saves really well pretty much in any conditions, and has a great flavour, the paprika also gives the rice a nice colour.

I'll hardly ever eat straight rice, usually i'll just throw in whatever i have in the cupboard before i leave.
Dehydrated mushroom soup with rice was nice :)

Greg F
(GregF) - F

Locale: Canadian Rockies
Tacos on 10/21/2013 10:44:02 MDT Print View

I like to make Tacos with Rice and TVP (Textured Vegatable Protien) or dehydrated black beans instead of meat. Jusat mix up your own seasoning or buy one. Bring Tortillas, a hard cheese and you are done. It is really filling after a day on the trail. Everything can be made in freezer bags and doesnt require plates, forks or bowls.