Re: wax based on 09/23/2013 15:29:09 MDT Print View

> nikwax is wax based, vs chemical.

and wax is not a chemical??????

Cheers

And E
(LunchANDYnner) - M

Locale: Pacific Northwest
touche on 09/23/2013 15:38:25 MDT Print View

Touche, Roger. Yes, both chemicals. Not sure if nikwax uses naturally occuring wax vs synthesized vs lab made fluorocarbons, etc.

You'd think I wouldn't have made that chemical vs chemical mistake considering I'm a molecular biology research scientist.

just Justin Whitson
(ArcturusBear) - M
Re: Re: wax based on 09/23/2013 15:43:46 MDT Print View

Well, i understood what An-D was trying to say, a more natural, nature based chemical compound vs a human made synthetic compound. Sure, there are plenty of toxins in nature but most of these are in relation to and concentrated with animal or plant defense mechanisms, and i don't know about you but i'm not in the habit of smearing cobra venom all over my clothes anyways...

And i certainly would prefer smearing something like beeswax on my skin rather than something like Grangers no matter how safe and non toxic the companies that make this stuff tell me it is.

Human made synthesized chemicals or nature distilled isolations and concentrations on the other hand, whole long list of toxicity in many different areas and applications. I'm not saying i don't use the latter, course i do, but i think limiting exposure is also a good idea too.

E J
(mountainwalker) - MLife

Locale: SF Bay Area & New England
Which other brands of DWR spray do you recommend? on 09/23/2013 16:40:37 MDT Print View

Roger and others, which other brands perform well in your experience? I've found Nikwak doesn't last as long.

just Justin Whitson
(ArcturusBear) - M
Re: Which other brands of DWR spray do you recommend? on 09/23/2013 19:41:37 MDT Print View

Not speaking from experience, but from having read other peoples experiences and recommendations (mostly here, but also on some other forums), Grangers seems to be one of the top ones. The McKnett ReviveX is also usually highly rated.

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: Which other brands of DWR spray do you recommend? on 09/24/2013 00:39:23 MDT Print View

Hi EJ

I have used Revivex as well as Atsko. I can't say I was aware of any huge difference between them. But I am aware of the huge difference a proper wash makes!

Cheers

Samuel C. Farrington
(scfhome) - M

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA
toxins on 09/24/2013 21:28:43 MDT Print View

Took cobra venom all last winter for sciatica. Very effective.
It's the natural toxins that work best, not those 'chemical' ones.

Edited by scfhome on 09/24/2013 21:30:46 MDT.

E J
(mountainwalker) - MLife

Locale: SF Bay Area & New England
Best Quality & Best Value DWR Wash? Atsko/Sno-Seal & Granger on 09/25/2013 13:59:26 MDT Print View

Has anyone used both the Atsko/Sno-Seal and Grangers wash? Are they equally good? Asking because the Atsko is a far better value.

An 18 fl. oz (532 ml) bottle of Sport-Wash Scent Free Detergent from Sno-Seal (also labeled Atsko) is good for 18 wash loads and costs only U.S. $5.99 on Campmor (and I have bought it for as little as $3-4/bottle as well). I've been using it for years with good results. It's based on biodegradable vegetable surfactants.

http://bit.ly/15tLvoG

10 fl. oz Grangers Performance Wash runs U.S. $11.34 on Amazon and claims it treats up to 6 wash loads.

http://amzn.to/16A70Uc

9.23 oz Grangers XT Waterproofer runs U.S. $14.81 on Amazon and claims it treats up to 4 garments.

http://amzn.to/171hZKu

ReviveX Spray-On Water Repellent 10oz. which is water-based, treats 1-2 garments and runs $11.99 on Campmor and only treats 1-2 garments.

If the Atsko/Sno-Seal wash and Grangers Performance wash are equal in performance, best bet is to combine the Atsko/Sno-Seal wash with the Grangers XT Waterproofer.