Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Forums Newsletter
Finished my quilt
Display Avatars Sort By:
Nathan V
(Junk) - MLife

Locale: The Great Lake State
Finished my quilt on 06/16/2007 08:04:18 MDT Print View

I finished it last weekend, and tried it out last night, it actually worked very good.

Besides sewing a couple stuff sacks and a pack cover, this was the first big item I have ever sewn. It turned out better than I expected it would. I am very happy with it so far.

It is sort of a Arc AT copy, which is what I was going to buy, until I decided to try to make it myself.

It is about 43" wide and 60" long, with
one layer of Climashield XP, and weighs in at 10.9 oz. I was warm at 50 degrees last night with just long underware, a light fleece hat, and a Montbell Thermawrap jacket.
quilt
quilt 2

Edited by Junk on 06/16/2007 08:11:38 MDT.

todd harper
(funnymoney) - MLife

Locale: Sunshine State
Re: Finished my quilt on 06/16/2007 15:38:16 MDT Print View

Looks great, Nathan!

I want to make one myself, but have only made alcohol stoves to date and am nervous about destroying good material & insulation!

I was wondering about the length of 60"? Is that a fit for your height, or is it designed so your jacket is the top?

Thanks, and great job.

Nathan V
(Junk) - MLife

Locale: The Great Lake State
Re:Re: Finished my quilt on 06/16/2007 16:38:45 MDT Print View

Thanks, Todd.

You're correct about the size, I put on the jacket first, then put the quilt over that. It comes up to just under my armpits.

You should give it a shot, I just borrowed a sewing machine, read the MYOG articles on sewing on this site, started with a couple stuff sacks to get the hang of it, and then went for it.

I figured it wasn't a huge investment in materials if it didn't work, maybe $50 I think. But it turned out better than I hoped it would.

Michael Davis
(mad777) - F

Locale: South Florida
Re:Re:Re: Finished my quilt on 06/19/2007 20:15:38 MDT Print View

Todd,

Go for it! About a year ago I figured, "What the heck."
I bought some momentum and 1.1 oz. teal nylon and Climashield from thru-hike.com and an $80 Brother sewing machine from WallyWorld and I can't stop looking for
things to sew! (You can't imagine how many stuff sacks one can make from spare material)! This was without any prior experience.

I contemplating a down insulated project next. Since this will be my first foray into goose technology, I will be begging for much advice on these forums!

todd harper
(funnymoney) - MLife

Locale: Sunshine State
Re: Re:Re:Re: Finished my quilt on 06/19/2007 20:49:19 MDT Print View

Michael,

Thanks to folks like you, I'm about to do it. I'll let you know how it goes....

Let me know if you get up to North FL for a hike!

Todd