Some Patagonia stores entering thrift market
Display Avatars Sort By:
HK Newman
(hknewman) - MLife

Locale: Western US
Some Patagonia stores entering thrift market on 09/19/2013 08:18:39 MDT Print View

Looks like Patagonia is getting into the previously owned clothing market in a few select US stores (Seattle, Chicago, Palo Alto = Bay area, and Portland). Looks like you take it in and receive a credit for 50% of the resale value.

Original article:

http://gearjunkie.com/patagonia-worn-wear

Some of their fleeces last a long time and I'm guessing lightly used stuff can be sold to those priced out of their markets. Think you will do it?

Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

Locale: Nuevo Mexico
"Thrift" shopping on 09/19/2013 09:59:38 MDT Print View

Sounds like a win-win situation for both consumer and Patagonia.

Those urban Patagoniaphiles who can shell out the coin for the "latest" limited series parka can "upgrade" at a steep discount, also allowing the dirtbag the opportunity to acquire their lightly blemished gear at a down to earth price point. Sounds too good to be true.

Justin Baker
(justin_baker) - F

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA
Re: Some Patagonia stores entering thrift market on 09/19/2013 10:11:49 MDT Print View

If I wore last season's patagucci I would lose all of my trail swag.

Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

Locale: Nuevo Mexico
Re: Re: Some Patagonia stores entering thrift market on 09/19/2013 10:32:06 MDT Print View

Yea Justin, "French Roast" is soooo Winter '12 Patagonia. Ugh....

eric chan
(bearbreeder) - F
ahhhh on 09/19/2013 11:05:45 MDT Print View

but does the patagucci warranty still apply =P

i remember awhile back they had an ad campaign telling people NOT to buy shiny new gear when their marginally older stuff would do ... is this a way to help people to constantly buy new stuff guilt free ... hmmmmmm

i do wonder at what prices they will sell the used gear ...

;)

And E
(LunchANDYnner) - M

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Patagucci on 09/19/2013 11:07:39 MDT Print View

I like the term Patagucci. I only have two products from them, both silkweight base layers i bought on clearance online. But...if their used items are resold for a good price, I may have to jump on the designer "trail" wear train.

HK Newman
(hknewman) - MLife

Locale: Western US
Re: ahhhh on 09/19/2013 11:17:21 MDT Print View

..but does the patagucci warranty still apply ..

May not need to. An older backpacking friend who recently passed still wore a fleece Patagonia jacket from 1987 with fairly vivid colors. Not sure he ever washed it due to some of the stains; hope one of his daughters did when it was inherited.

Add: By comparison, one of my fleece jackets from another major company has faded since 2009 and the seams starting to fray in 2011.

Edited by hknewman on 09/19/2013 11:20:33 MDT.

eric chan
(bearbreeder) - F
Re: Re: ahhhh on 09/19/2013 11:33:11 MDT Print View

ive had decades old daily worn department store fleeces that last forever ... i dropped a whole bunch off last year to the clothes donation, they were still going strong

the patagucci stuff i do have is wearing around the same as any of my other gear ... no more and no less

i suspect that for stuff like rain jackets one would want the warranty ... delamination can happen with ANY brand

a simple search shoes this

http://www.google.ca/#psj=1&q=patagonia+delamination

;)