HMG Porter in black.
Display Avatars Sort By:
scree ride
(scree)
heat on 09/19/2013 06:34:46 MDT Print View

Live in the southwest desert. I have a black daypack and have no heat issues. I didn't get the black HMG partially due to the extra price buy mostly because I thought white would blend in better with the surrounding environment.
That is a beauty. Looks much less like a huge Jack in the Box hamburger bag than mine does.
You could add some red and blue lights and use it to pull over speeding hikers.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
Re: heat on 09/19/2013 08:25:59 MDT Print View

Scree, they call mine the potato sack. Most comfy potato sack ever.

Rex Sanders
(Rex) - M

Locale: Central California Coast
Re: heat on 09/19/2013 09:22:42 MDT Print View

Not sure white stays that much cooler. Quoting myself from a thread on thermometers:

"Also kinda scary seeing how hot it gets inside HMG Windrider white cuben fiber backpack on sunny days. 94 F max reading on a day the nearest weather station says 64 F."

-- Rex

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
Re: Re: heat on 09/19/2013 10:59:31 MDT Print View

WTF?

just Justin Whitson
(ArcturusBear)
Re: Re: heat on 09/19/2013 11:41:43 MDT Print View

Are all these Cuban packs fully opaque? If some are not, that would explain why the white or light colored ones get warmer on the inside, sort of a mild greenhouse effect. I would have a hard time imagining that say a tyvek home wrap pack (white on outside) that would get very hot inside.

Edited by ArcturusBear on 09/19/2013 12:48:52 MDT.

scree ride
(scree)
Re: Re: heat on 09/19/2013 12:42:43 MDT Print View

I remember Mike was looking for a design ideasMy white HMG Porter once, perhaps we should have entered.

Robert Meurant
(rmeurant) - MLife
Tongue somewhat firmly in cheek, with apologies to cephalopods on 09/19/2013 17:59:10 MDT Print View

Given that users are turning their Porters inside out for packrafting, the obvious solution to the heat issue is reversible packs, heat absorbent black on one side, and either white, or ideally reflective silver, on the other. With detachable shoulder straps and waist belt, and fittings either side, the user can turn them one way, or the other, depending upon the environmental conditions.

That at least takes care of the extreme conditions, admittedly at the cost of extra weight, but fails to deal with the middle range.

I suspect the only satisfactory solution is going to be a smart fabric, that adjusts its color, reflectivity and even permeability to the conditions, either automatically, or under the control of the user. Somewhat like an octopus or squid changing its appearance to match its background for camouflage purposes.

Such a miracle fabric would more likely be developed for tents, before packs, and would also incorporate (controllable) ventilation. It would need to be combined with an environmental sensor (or sensor network). Plants' responsiveness to their environmental conditions would be a good model.

In I think the 70s, there were interesting membrane walls developed for pneumatic structures that controlled the transmission of light and heat, and the opacity (something akin to Steve Baer's experiments (for fixed buildings) at Zomeworks, see http://www.zomeworks.com/about-us/ ). The pneumatic membrane walls were controlled by pneumatic systems inside a double wall structure (Baer developed Beadwall moveable insulation - double glazed structures with polystyrene pellets that were sucked or blown into window cavities to provide insulation when needed, then voided and stored when not).

Edited by rmeurant on 09/19/2013 20:13:35 MDT.

Aaron Croft
(aaronufl) - M

Locale: Alaska
Update on 09/23/2013 16:36:13 MDT Print View

Took the Porter out for a 3 day trip in the Collegiate Peaks Wilderness - It performed really well, and there was no running of the black color at all. I didn't notice the pack being hotter than any other pack I have worn before, so I don't really think it is a concern, at least for me.

Fantastic piece of gear!