HMG Porter in black.
Display Avatars Sort By:
Aaron Croft
(aaronufl) - M

Locale: Alaska
HMG Porter in black. on 09/18/2013 17:13:10 MDT Print View

Hey everyone,

From talking to Mike at HMG, the black fabric is 150 denier and the same material that makes up the regular Porter's bottom panel. Here is a picture of the black 3400 Porter I just got in the mail. Pretty stoked!

Clayton Mauritzen
(GlacierRambler) - F - M

Locale: NW Montana
Re: HMG Porter in black. on 09/18/2013 17:20:30 MDT Print View

Wow. Slick pack.

Am I understanding you right that this is a burlier fabric now for the whole pack? What does it weigh then?

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
Re: Re: HMG Porter in black. on 09/18/2013 17:31:42 MDT Print View

nm

Edited by FamilyGuy on 11/19/2013 15:47:22 MST.

Aaron Croft
(aaronufl) - M

Fabric on 09/18/2013 17:38:17 MDT Print View

Hi Clayton,

Yes, the fabric is burlier. It is a 150 denier poly/cuben hybrid versus the white, which is 50 denier. Per Mike at HMG, this fabric only adds an ounce to the overall weight, but I don't have a scale to verify that (sacrilege!)

I'm really happy with how it turned out.

Luke Schmidt
(Cameron) - MLife

Locale: The WOODS
So Tougher? on 09/18/2013 17:47:30 MDT Print View

So the nylon not the cuben is heavier? Seems like that is a good upgrade, I'm assuming that means greater abrasion resistance?

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Re: So Tougher? on 09/18/2013 17:49:51 MDT Print View

Tougher? The white still has dyneema threads and after 3 years of heavy use I am still looking for holes. The standard stuff is bomber.

What I want to know is whether the color will bleed.

Aaron Croft
(aaronufl) - M

Color? on 09/18/2013 18:00:17 MDT Print View

Dave, I suppose time will tell about the long term durability of the color. I have a trip planned over the next 4 days, so we'll see how it handles a bit of sweating and such.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Re: Color? on 09/18/2013 18:32:53 MDT Print View

Great, thanks.

Ryan Smith
(ViolentGreen) - F

Locale: Southeast
Re: Color? on 09/18/2013 18:33:42 MDT Print View

I've used a black Zpacks Zero all summer with zero bleeding onto my shirts. I did soak it in warm soapy water when I first got it to attempt to wash out some of the color. None then and still none now. I think this generation of hybrid cuben is more colorfast than last years.

Ryan

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Locale: The Great Lakes Bay Region
Re: HMG Porter in black. on 09/18/2013 18:56:06 MDT Print View

Very nice Aaron.

Robert Meurant
(rmeurant) - MLife
Not meaning to rain on your parade, on 09/18/2013 20:08:38 MDT Print View

... but in strong sunlight, that pack will get very hot. May be o.k. in the Rockies, but untenable in the kinds of summers that we have here (Korea), at least.

James Cahill
(DMATB) - M

Locale: SOCAL
Re: Not meaning to rain on your parade, on 09/18/2013 20:16:41 MDT Print View

I haven't done extensive testing, but I was pleasantly surprised at how cool my black zimmerbuilt pack (Xpac) stayed while under relentless attack from the southern california desert sun. Any water inside got warm, but my food didn't melt away like I thought it might

edit: sexy pack, btw

Edited by DMATB on 09/18/2013 20:17:56 MDT.

And E
(LunchANDYnner) - M

Locale: Pacific Northwest
sleek on 09/18/2013 20:47:29 MDT Print View

That's a sleek looking pack! But as others have pointed out, that thing would probably get really got inside when out in the sun. Multi use: solar stove/food heating bag!

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Re: Re: Not meaning to rain on your parade, on 09/18/2013 21:00:24 MDT Print View

I think hiking inside the pack might be an issue. But hiking with the pack on, it shouldn't be too hot.

Lol

Luke Schmidt
(Cameron) - MLife

Locale: The WOODS
Re Re Re Not meaning to rain on your parade on 09/18/2013 21:02:57 MDT Print View

I don't know if you'll get noticably hotter in a black pack. But your food might get a bit hotter. But when melting food is a concern I don't bring things like hershey bars anyway.

Aaron Croft
(aaronufl) - M

Well... on 09/18/2013 21:32:57 MDT Print View

Worst case scenario, I use it as a bivy, right? ;)

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: Not meaning to rain on your parade, on 09/18/2013 21:33:44 MDT Print View

My black pack is no hotter than any other pack I've had. Bedouin tents anyone?

Now that is a sweet looking black.

Don Selesky
(backslacker) - M
Re: HMG Porter in black. on 09/18/2013 21:46:22 MDT Print View

My Porter 4400 is holding up well with the original white fabric. Don't see a real issue with what I have.

just Justin Whitson
(ArcturusBear)
Re: Re: Not meaning to rain on your parade, on 09/18/2013 21:49:13 MDT Print View

I'm not sure about packs, but i notice a HUGE difference when i'm outside in the Sun wearing white or very light colors vs dark colors. Since heat tends to radiate outwards and up, i suppose the inside of a black colored pack isn't going to necessarily get that much hotter than a lighter colored one... but then again there was that myth buster show about light colored cars vs dark ones and there was significant temp difference in the inside between the two.

Well, in any case, i don't like the color black, never have, and probably won't ever.

Robert Meurant
(rmeurant) - MLife
with apologies to the Strolling Moans... on 09/18/2013 23:58:43 MDT Print View

I see a Porter and I want to paint it black...