Remote canister gas stove - Fire Maple FMS-117T or Kovea Spider, or?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Franco Darioli
(Franco) - M

Locale: Melbourne
Remote canister gas stove - Fire Maple FMS-117T or Kovea Spider, or? on 09/18/2013 18:46:04 MDT Print View

I am no genius but I have noticed over the years that insulation works both ways.
That is why you Thermos flask can be used to keep stuff hot or cold...

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Locale: The Great Lakes Bay Region
Re: Remote canister gas stove - Fire Maple FMS-117T or Kovea Spider, or? on 09/18/2013 18:55:21 MDT Print View

It what is the ambient is -10f

Jim Colten
(jcolten) - M

Locale: MN
Re: Remote canister gas stove - Fire Maple FMS-117T or Kovea Spider, or? on 09/18/2013 21:58:00 MDT Print View

It what is the ambient is -10f

You need to get the fuel up to a somewhere around +5F for liquid feed stoves using an inverted canister or around 35F for stoves using an upright canister. You also need to maintain that temperature. Maintain that temp by having a source of energy in contact with the canister that is around 35 degrees and itself maintains that temperature. A warmer source of energy is OK up to a point. 100F is OK, somewhere warmer than that can lead to spectacular (and unfortunate) results. If the can starts out at an adequate temp you can use it in a cozy IF the added energy source is also inside the cozy.

Liquid water can work as the energy source but it will cool as the can sucks energy from it so it might need to be refreshed if running the stove for long (as in melting snow)

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Locale: The Great Lakes Bay Region
Re: Re: Remote canister gas stove - Fire Maple FMS-117T or Kovea Spider, or? on 09/19/2013 05:47:24 MDT Print View

I also put the can on some foam to keep it off snow and sometimes put a heat pack under it.

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: Re: Remote canister gas stove - Fire Maple FMS-117T or Kovea Spider, or? on 09/19/2013 06:04:57 MDT Print View

> what if the ambient is -10 F
Then you are going to have very cold toes...

However, note that the insides of you pack are a lot warmer than that. Usually you can have liquid water in your water bottle inside your pack.

Cheers

scree ride
(scree)
Spider on 09/19/2013 08:16:43 MDT Print View

I bought my Kovea after reading HJ's blog. While I have no way to compare it to the Fire Maple, I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one and I won't hesitate to recommend it. It's small and light and folds out big.
I have no regrets. I don't look longingly at other stoves and think "what if". Off Ebay, shipped from Korea, it arrived very quickly. I did have to sign for it. Incendiary device coming from a foreign country, I guess they're cautious. Somebody here was selling them under "Gear Deals". Same price, good reputation and all. Had I known, I would have bought it from them just to keep it local so to speak. Either way you won't be disappointed.
While the Fire Maple is lighter, in reviews, it had some issues. Overall, I believe, South Korean standards of manufacture are much higher than Chinese.
http://blog.hillmap.com/2013/01/fire-maple-fms-118-sputters-in-cold-vs.html
That said, I see the FM on Ebay for $55, making it much more competitive. I know the Spider works though. Works the way it was planned to work with no modifications. It was thought out and I have no concerns with it's durability. You won't be disappointed

Dondo .
(Dondo) - F

Locale: Colorado Rockies
Re: remote stoves on 09/19/2013 15:48:12 MDT Print View

Will definitely go for the spider if I decide I need to be able to invert the canister. Still a bit unsure at what temp this becomes an issue. I dont go out in the snow but temps of 30f are definitely possible on occasion. Could I work round this by keeping the canister warm at night or is a stove with a pre heat tube the way to go? Thanks

In that case, you'll be fine with the Fire Maple. I've used the rebranded Olicamp Xcelerator down to the high 20s so far. A warm up inside my puffy vest was all the canister needed, but I was ready with some of the other tricks mentioned in this thread if necessary.

Mine weighs 3.4 oz., which is about as heavy a stove as I'd care to carry for three-season conditions.

olicamp-xcelerator

Edited by Dondo on 09/19/2013 21:20:47 MDT.

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: Re: remote stoves on 09/19/2013 15:55:41 MDT Print View

"Still a bit unsure at what temp this becomes an issue."

Same here, I use upright canister in upper 20s F.

One thing confusing is, they put in a little propane which works at much lower temp.

So if you use a fairly full canister, it will work for a while at 20 F, but it will be mostly propane that's being vaporized. Then the canister will be just isobutane and only work at upper 20s F.

If you have a mostly empty canister, upper 20s F,

Heath Poulter
(antitrust311) - F

Locale: Southwest
Re on 09/20/2013 22:27:29 MDT Print View

I bought the Kovea spider on Amazon for $53 with free shipping. It folds up really small and I quite like it. I'm using it with a 1.3 liter titanium evernew pot. From what I have been uncovering on the web is that Kovea builds stoves for MSR and Snow peak. The build quality is equal to these companies stoves.

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: Re on 09/20/2013 22:41:05 MDT Print View

Hi Heath

You should perhaps read Stove Developments to get more of the story.

Cheers